What are your favorite 5 cuisines?

French
Middle Eastern
Italian

1 Like

Iā€™m breaking the number rule and adding another:
American Jewish deli

3 Likes

There are rules :exploding_head: (I mean, other than the rule against being a pedandick.)

3 Likes

cooking in/dining out, in no particular order:

Middle Eastern
Greek
Thai/Japanese
American comfort food
Mexican

1 Like

Did you mean there are no rules? :grinning:

4 Likes

Bolognese kidneys &
Friulian Cotechino. Blech

1 Like

Fine, then Iā€™ll also add dim sum :crazy_face:

1 Like

I tend to be Asian heavy, and in no order:

Japanese
Chinese (this is so broad, I know itā€™s kind of cheating - and I include Taiwanese under this)
Indian
Vietnamese
Greek

I admit that Greek was a toss up with Italian. I have moods where I want one over the other. Also really enjoy French, Korean and Peruvian. Need a lot more experience with a few other cuisines, so didnā€™t feel I could rank them fairly.

1 Like

I guess Iā€™ve had the good fortune of never experiencing that one.

1 Like

Oh, so do I. I can eat Italian (loosely translates to pasta @casa lingua) all year round, but I mostly crave Greek/Turkish/ME foods in the summer. Itā€™s how I grew up I guess. Not to say that there arenā€™t wonderful winter dishes in both Italian and Greek cuisine (pastitsio, yuvetsi, moussaka, and any number of braises come to mind).

1 Like

Cooking or dining:
Latin American
East Asian
Spanish
French
Italian

I was tempted to list some of my favourite cuisines as :

Former Alexanderā€™s Empire
Former Hapsburg Empire
Former Genghis Khan Empire
Silk Route food
Etc

3 Likes

Understood. And, presumably, an American enhancement to the original which with both Irish Stew and Hotpot would rely on the spuds as a carb.

1 Like

Saturday night has long been our ā€œimportant meal of the weekā€. Certainly its the dinner we put most effort into.

Many years back, we decided to cook a different national/regional cuisine each week. As you indicate, there was lots of scope with Italy. FWIW, it took us a couple of years to work through the list.

4 Likes

I think an American would consider a tatty scone to be a biscuit by etymology, and a potato pancake visually.

Seemingly in symmetry, I tend to be a heavy Asian.

2 Likes

Thank you for not doing that.

1 Like

China generally rolls with eight cuisines; I reckon a big part of that number was its auspicious role in Chinese history.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was going to change my comment, but the edit window had passed.

Ah, this olā€™ chestnut.

Of all the countries that Iā€™ve visited, Iā€™d say my favorites (for food) these days are:

• Nearly everything Turkish (with particular shout-outs to katmer, vişne suyu (sour cherry juice), and kĆ¼nefe. And nearly everything else.
  • I guess Indonesia, but specifically dishes from Manado, Aceh, and the desserts bika ambon and colenak. And of course itā€™s vast range of sambals.
  • Mexico, again for its variety of salsas, Baja seafood dishes, steam-cooked subterranean bbq, and juice stalls. And its version of a carajillo.
  • Georgia (nope, Iā€™m going to call it Sakartvelo). Quite a diverse bunch of flavors packed in a rather mountainous region. Big on bread, walnuts, and garlic, so thatā€™s cool by me. And the wine ā€¦ but that chacha packs a wallop.
  • Japan I suppose rounds out the top five for now (although this list isnā€™t in any order). They get high marks from me for the convenience stores having actually edible things, vending machines keeping me hydrated in the summers, unapologetically omnivorous diets, and peak affinity for butter when making French pastries.
    But I also like their appreciation for the seasonality of ingredients, and the near-obsession with local foods (e.g. Uji puts matcha in everything, Aomori apples, Houtaka wasabi, and Wakura onsen sea cucumber (well, that last one is a stretch).
3 Likes