What are your culinary aspirations & goals for 2024?

I want to:

Poach a lot more.
Elevate my stocks.
Dig more clams.
Find a secret patch of Morels.
Start raising cattle again.
Make more compound butters.
Spend more time learning sauces.
Read more M.F. K. Fisher.

4 Likes

I got an ebook loan from my library: Fred’s at Barney’s by Mark Strausman. He’s no longer at Fred’s, I think he now has his own restaurant in the same area. I admire this chef.

He has a recipe for Estelle’s Chicken Soup (Estelle was his maternal grandmother) that he’s made very chefy. It takes 3 days to make because you use fortified stock. Sounds expensive to make because I don’t want to use backs, liver is there, so for initial stock I’ll use wings.

I’m going to have to be in a special mood to make this. I couldn’t find the recipe online so I typed it out and put it in WORD. One ingredient is 3 cloves … I don’t think I’d like them in stock, might use one or none.

1 Like

Get organized. Everything else is gravy.

5 Likes

Make my complicated relationship with food healthier.

4 Likes

Alas, the salmon got honey-mustarded again. But I promise . . . next week. (Hey, it’s still January.)

1 Like

Get through the remainder of the pandemic “supplies,” starting (and probably ending) with these Rancho Gordo beans (purchased at a deep discount from a store that went under and was selling their stock - I also have a box of other stuff from them that I need to sort):

These are

• Mayocoba (3 lbs)
  • Cranberry Bean (2 lbs)
  • Yellow Eye (3 lbs)
  • Marcella (2 lbs)
  • Alubia Blanca (2 lbs)
  • Garbanzos (4 lbs)

And then there’s these:

(A thank you gift from a relative after I sent them some of the Rancho Gordo stash.)

6 Likes

Well it is soup season :grin:

2 Likes

Looks like you’ll practically be floating through the winter :rofl:

All kidding aside, my Fb food group members are obsessed with Rancho Gordo. Our supermarkets carry only a few varieties, and - as someone who is far from an aficionado - I wouldn’t even know where to begin.

1 Like

I’m kinda obsessed with their scarlet runner beans. Big and almost meaty! They stand up well to a good long slow cook without disintegrating and are a sponge for whatever flavors they are cooked with. There are others from them I also like, but those (and their popcorn) are my goto’s.

5 Likes

Thank you! I should up my bean intake, and those sound delicious.

1 Like

And, I think, pleasing to look at before eating!

5 Likes

Hot damn! Are those fried garlic slivers on top? :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Coconut! I subbed the scarlet runner beans for the chickpeas in this recipe:
https://maunikagowardhan.co.uk/cook-in-a-curry/tamilian-channa-sundal-chickpeas-tossed-in-curry-leaves-chillies-and-mustard-seeds/

4 Likes

I want to eat at someplace new at least once a month. The pandemic turned me into (more of) a hermit.

5 Likes

I used to eat at new places a lot. Probably 10 new places a month. Lately, I’ve gotten fussier.:joy:

I have my eye on a couple Japanese restaurants and Mexican restaurants in Toronto that I haven’t tried yet, as well a Thai place for their Thai-style Hainanese Chicken Rice.

2 Likes

Any chance that “3 cloves” continued on to say “of Garlic” ? ebooks for cookbooks sometimes format oddly.

Eat out more often

Continue 2023 goals (met a majority of the time i 2023, looking to up the percentage…)
fish at least once/week
soup at least once/week
veggies side with every lunch/supper (fruit sides are easy, veggies sides not so…)

Make souffles. These were DOTM on CH several years ago and I made ONE but still have saved recipes for at least 6 others.

Get serious about calculating / tracking carbs for every meal.

3 Likes

I’m tracking everything. Groceries, meals, snacks, what I make, what I order, what gives me hives :joy:

1 Like

No, it’s really cloves, which rubs me wrong for chicken stock.

Maybe I should post the ingredients.

I don’t know if I will get the right energy to make this. Wish I could just eat it in his restaurant but NYC is far away, don’t know when I’ll return.

Cloves go into cock a leekie, I think.