What are you reading?

I would really like to know the source of Tom Clancy’s intel…

1 Like

Gregory Young wrote his PhD thesis on the mutiny aboard the Storozhevoy. It was filed in the US Navy library. Later Young received a letter from a guy who said he was an insurance salesman writing his first book and wanted to discuss the Storozhevoy with him. Of course that insurance salesman was Tom Clancy who went on to write the best seller Hunt for Red October then on to write something like 30 books. Pretty amazing.

2 Likes

Wow - yes, very interesting! I’m sure he had other high placed sources as well, he knew and wrote about stuff that was still classified. I always thought his (premature) death was a little hush hush too.

1 Like

@Eiron - I was looking for a new biography to read and stumbled on this and remembered reading a post from you about her. Just thought I’d drop it here in case you still visit the site and might be interested.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Awesome, thanks! The documentary I watched about her was fascinating. And her work (that they showed) was extraordinary. :camera:

1 Like

Not Clancy, but Hagberg and Gindin, so it’s “food in non-fiction”. From Mutiny at page 28 about food aboard the anti-submarine vessel Storozhevoy:

"Curiously, despite the the bland monotonous food . . .

“Every morning after exercise the enlisted men are served kasha, which is gruel made of hulled buckwheat, and a couple thin pieces of bread with a little butter, while the officers are served a special kasha made of processed oatmeal, cheese, kielbasa sausages, and as much good bread and butter as they can eat.”

2 Likes

Used to go to the library when I was a kid. Then I started going to the British Council library. Those days my work place had a video membership. 2 Videos at a time. No one in my workplace used it and so the library card was virtually my own. I watched quite a lot of British films those days, free. They have a good stock of books too, from which I benefited a lot.
I stopped going there when the local staff started bossing around and being very rude.

4 Likes

Well-researched writing that makes difficult relevant subjects accessible. By the way, he reports more than once how von Neumann liked to eat and drink.

4 Likes

Read this in two sittings because I couldn’t put it down. Just, wow!

4 Likes

I just read L’Appart. Enjoyed it.

1 Like

Not reading this but thought of @gcaggiano as soon as I saw the title:

(This should be viewable by everyone as link is pasted as a “Gift Article”.)

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I read an article about this case a month or so ago (wish I remembered where). It was fascinating, and what an amazing cooperative effort by the scientific community in short order.

Recommended to us as easy quick read with high payoff:

3 Likes

Fini ! !!

We weren’t steered wrong.

Even we could do the elementary math.

1 Like

A thoroughly remarkable human.

Here’s his “The Case for Letting Malibu Burn”:

1 Like

Lots of fans know many scenes, every line, from more than one viewing. so for those fans, this is an especially good one for also gaining insight into how movies come to the screen:

2 Likes

I do read a lot and bits of everything.
I generally check the daily deals on kindle books at amazon UK.
Currently re-reading “the millenium books”.
Just finished a Daniel Silva book.
Got a bit of a stock on my kindle at the moment, but also thinking of reading David Downing’s series of ww2 books again. And I need to check if there is anything new (or not yet read) by Philip Kerr
And I read cookbooks of course

2 Likes

This book was with a girl whom I met at a guest house while I’m staying there for my tourist guide license course. She gave it to me to take a look, and I read about half the book that night
Entertainmentwise this is one of the best books I’ve read in the recent years. Not so many new “facts” but he invites us to think about things we wouldn’t notice that much, and in a humourous, new, and sometimes a sarcastic way.

4 Likes