What are you baking? September 2022

I don’t like unexplained failure!

Curious what you think about trying the marzipan cake without marzipan or almond paste… I was toying with the idea of making my own paste using almond flour and sugar, though am debating whether that’s even necessary given almond flour cakes have that rich, moist texture too.

Is the marzipan cake from a European source? I’ve noticed that they frequently use marzipan interchangeable with almond paste. The distinction is not quite the same as here.

1 Like

Yep, whenever I see European and also Asian recipes that call for marzipan it’s what in the USA is almond paste.

If you have almond flour you can definitely make your own paste. I make mine with almonds that I grind in the food processor then the coffee grinder and it works perfectly.

Cakes made with almond paste are different in texture and flavor than ones made with almond flour. They’re both good, but different. I’ve made a lot of almond paste cakes and my favorite is still Karen DeMasco’s. I like it more than Flo Braker’s easily and more than some others. I do prefer less almond paste to flour than others do, as I like the lighter crumb when the ratio is lower.

3 Likes

Great recipe!

It’s from the COTM - authored by Nigella.

Here’s the recipe from her website:

1 Like

I was just googling around and someone made the cake with 130g almond flour and 70g confectionery sugar, a few drops rose water. Processed and used 150g for the recipe. I would be inclined to do that as the almond is in high ratio to the sugar. I notice Nigella says either almond paste or marzipan. Usually, as I’m sure you know, marzipan is a lot sweeter. I just ordered the book from thrift…I have a soft spot for Nigella!

1 Like

Thanks! You know my penchant for not following a recipe straight (and see what happens when I do - disaster!) so I may try that sub.

Hahaha…lol ! Now I’ll have to put it on my list …when I’m done with the peaches, nectarines and plums I just purchased.

I :heart: Marzipan

Me too! It’s just that I have almond flour at home, but I’d have to go get marzipan or almond paste.

1 Like

@Nannybakes, I imagine she says almond paste or marzipan because she has a large North American audience, whereas there is no distinction in the UK, i.e. there is nothing called almond paste sold there (the norm in Europe, as Shellybean notes). I suspect the marzipan there might be less sweet than what we find stateside, though I don’t know.

I love marzipan and almond paste, but I’m definitely picky about marzipan as confectionery as so many are sickly sweet. I think you need a higher ratio of sugar to get the smooth texture for decorative shaping or smooth rolling, but I dislike the intense sweetness and want almond first.

2 Likes

Thanks Caitlin, I indicated as much to Saragama regarding the distinction. I’m not a fan of marzipan for the same reasons you cited. I think the substitution of 130 almond flour/70g. confectionery puts that firmly in the almond paste area rather than marzipan. I think what is generally called marzipan in Europe is what we refer to as almond paste. Thanks for the input.

Pie crust question:

I frequently make quiche, which requires a par-baked crust. I also make lots of pies.

At least half the time, the rim of the crust is very tough. Tough to cut with a knife, and tough to eat. I use a crust guard consistently and do my best not to let it overbrown. I also don’t knead or work the dough excessively, because I don’t want too much gluten development. My crusts are always all-butter.

I’m not sure what to adjust to address this. Any suggestions?

MiG, I don’t prebake crusts for quiche. I do use fat daddio’s aluminum tart tins which transfer heat very well. I also bake on a stone, which definitely prevents soggy bottom. The crust I pre baked upthread, ( cookie-ish style) I baked at 325* from frozen, foil lined with sugar for about15 minutes, uncovered for 10/15 minutes more until golden. What temperature are you prebaking at?

1 Like

Definitely hotter than 325!

You pour quiche mixture into a raw crust and bake?

1 Like

Yes, as I described, usually a frozen crust. I can’t vouch for anything but fat daddio’s and a baking stone. For example, Luisa Weiss…from the German Baking Book… it’s a lot of filling but I’ve never had a problem with the bottom crust not cooking properly.

Sorry, what about Luisa?

I’m referring to her creamy leek quiche as an illustration of volume. I don’t have a link but it’s probably around. It was just for a reference for volume.

1 Like

One last thought…maybe you need to just parbake rather than doing a complete prebake .