What are you baking? Oct 2023

Yes. I measured out 2 cups exactly. That recipe makes for a very sweet filling. Just a heads up in case you’re looking for something more tempered.

1 Like

Last bake for October. Meyer Lemon Cake from the Vanilla Bean Blog.

I’ve made this one before, although rarely in the full size. I don’t use crème fraiche in the glaze, just powdered sugar, lemon juice and a pinch of salt.

16 Likes

adorable. looking forward to meyer lemon season here, as always.

1 Like

Chocolate yogurt cake , Yossy Arefi, from her book “Snacking Cakes”. Finally got around to trying this cake and was more than pleased. Very chocolatey but not dense, tender and moist, I used Valrhona cocoa and a 1/2t. espresso granules. A layer of raspberries was added to the bottom of pan after about a 1/4 “ or so of batter was addded. Frosting was RLB’s chocolate/sour cream with a tiny spritz of Lyles. This will be a repeat for us, made half in a 6x2” loose bottom pan.
@Saregama …I think this would translate very well to ricotta rather than the yogurt.

15 Likes

I made cinnamon rolls, they really hit the spot this time of year and were very easy to make. They’re glazed with a cream cheese frosting that I could just eat by the spoonful.

14 Likes

Breakfast lately: a weekly batch of crustless frittata thingies that I honestly enjoy both warm and cold.

For an eight-muffin tin, I first put a few slices of bacon in the oven to cook, and then dice and sautee some green peppers and a small tomato. I season that aggressively.

Then, in a blender, I combine 6 best-quality (farmers market) eggs, about 3/4 cup of cottage cheese (protein bump), salt, and some hot sauce. Blend til smooth.

I spray the muffin tins, then crumble cooked bacon into each one. Follow with a small spoon of cooked veg. Then pour the egg mixture in, and bake at 350 for a few minutes until set but not too brown.

11 Likes

I just love making these, with add ins as I please!

1 Like

Tell me about your add-ins!

Thingies” is one of the best catch-all words that most people know what it means when used with descriptors.

Your breakfast thingies look great!

3 Likes

Not on,y do they look delicious but gave everyone a smile!

1 Like

This writeup has good ideas for add-in options. http://www.babyfoode.com/blog/toddler-breakfast-egg-cups-4-tasty-ways

I like your use of cottage cheese. We’ve used shredded Parm which is tasty but results in unscrubable sticking in regular muffin tins – silicon pans got purchased just to make them.
“Our” way…
1/2 tsp. garlic powder for 9 eggs (to make 12 muffin-cups) adds nice subtle flavor. No milk or just 2 T. milk and 1/2 C. Parm cheese stirred into eggs.
1/8 inch diced ham
Favorite salsa
Diced green pepper
Very finely diced onion
Either finely chopped spinach or finely chopped broccoli florets
A few shreds of cheddar cheese on top of each

3 Likes

Thanks to mig and her “ egg thingies”, they reminded me of making them in the Instant pot.
The eggs were courtesy of my daughter’s neighbor who raises some chicks as a hobby.
These are steamed for 00:00 and quick released, the only thing I turned the oven on was to grill the toast. I had forgotten how good these are…I used egg, sour cream, a Gouda/Parmesan cheese, yellow tomatoes and some chervil, blitzed with an immersion blender.

17 Likes

I made a batch of these last week too and had them for breakfast. I sautéed shallots and bell pepper, and added that along with feta and spinach. (The possibility of having even slightly crunchy veg in a cooked egg dish is a no go for me) A number of years ago I picked up silicone cupcake liners at IKEA and they are great for this.

4 Likes

Like sous vide egg bites without the sous vide!

I gotta say, as someone who loves eggs, I was on a quest for direct-from-farm eggs for a long time, but when I got them, I really couldn’t tell the difference, even in plain fried egg form (never mind scrambled or omelette’d or quiche’d). They looked prettier sometimes with the bright orange yolks, but they did not taste different to my (usually-sensitive) palate. It made me very sad.

1 Like

I like (completely sauteed-down) spinach, (cooked and chopped-small) broccoli, bacon and onion, and recently breakfast sausage. Pretty much anything that works in a quiche.

I was recently reminded that when Kuku was DOTM on chowhound, I liked the reverse ratio of vegetables to egg a lot as well, but have forgotten to do it that way of late.

1 Like

I’m in the country in PA and I could tell the difference blindfolded and with a cold. To me it’s very striking.

1 Like

I’ve done New York eggs, Vermont eggs (carried back gingerly while mocked by my friends the whole way back from the farms to home), New Hampshire eggs (ditto), Massachusetts eggs (both from farms and from people who kept chickens), and California eggs (ditto). Maybe Pennsylvania eggs will be the charm :joy:.

Lol! Maybe it’s me, maybe my mouth is over-interested when it comes to eggs.

And cake!

1 Like

And also maybe the bright side is you aren’t tempted to spend 7383747474 dollars on allegedly super special eggs…?