What Are You Baking? May 2023

Caraway Beer Bread from The Rye Baker.

Surprisingly moist sandwich bread texture. Assertive caraway flavour, even though I used half the amount called for (the original recipe uses 3 tbsp). Baked in a 16"pullman pan without the lid. Will make again, but will cut the caraway to a miniscule amount so the rest of the Jammy family will partake. Looks like this one is all mine.

10 Likes

I tested out a half batch of this Concorde. No photo because it’s extremely difficult to get a nice photo of this :joy:.

I was interested because there’s no almond meal in this; which makes it cheaper than versions made with dacquoise. Plus it’s another where the layers are baked quickly rather than at low temp. And it uses a fair number of egg whites because even the mousse has a meringue.
I made a full batch of Italian meringue because making half would be difficult and then used half of the finished meringue. I added salt to the mousse. If I were to do it again I’d use 70% chocolate minimum, though I’d be likely to use the classic Concorde mousse instead which is made with essentially whipped ganache.

For the meringue, I added 1/4 tsp of salt. I did three six-inch rounds rather than two. There’s enough meringue for three rounds and the sticks to cover the cake.

Overall it’s really good. It’s soft and chewy and light. However, it’s a touch sweet for me. I would try it again with either the classic mousse or with 70-80% chocolate in the mousse.

5 Likes

I get what you’re saying but I’d love a picture of this (and a taste!).

i am trying to make barbie cakes for my daughters :heart_eyes:

It doesn’t look bad in real life, but brown with more brown and the cake covered in brown logs in particular just doesn’t make for a great photo. However, it was quite popular with others and is all gone. When it’s a bit sweet for me it’s usually great for everyone else.

2 Likes

Chocolate rum cake (gluten free) with a chocolate rum glaze. This was a tester 5” version of an 8” cake and it’s absolutely delicious! The cake is soft and velvety, the frosting consists of chocolate, butter and a little rum. I wouldn’t bother with the rum in either the cake or the frosting as it was pretty much undetectable, coffee would be a nice substitute. The frosting is about 1/4” thick and the cake about 1 1/4”. Extremely rich tasting, a little sliver with a bit of crème chantilly or sour cream is a plus. The cake is a good candidate for a day ahead bake.
ETA I’ve had this in my notes for 10 years, to the best of my recollection it came from pastryaffairs.com titled Gluten free chocolate rum cake.

14 Likes

Almond poppy seed muffin from Sara Kieffer’s new book 100 Morning Treats. This muffin has 3 components. Topping, muffin batter and an almond cream which is swirled thru the batter before baking. Will be had tomorrow.

13 Likes

Save me one please?

Oh how i wish I could.

rhubarbbundt

Lemon-rhubarb buttermilk bundt. I used this recipe which I’ve made before and knew I liked.

Alterations:

1. I don’t reserve half the rhubarb to sprinkle on the top (will be the bottom after flipping) of the cake because it tends to get too crispy if it’s sticking out of the batter; instead, I incorporate it all into the batter before pouring into the pan.

2. To make the pink icing, I use confectioner’s sugar, pomegranate juice, a teaspoon of melted and cooled butter, and a pinch of salt. To get the color to show up, you need a fair amount of juice, obviously, but also for the consistency to be correct: icing thick enough to barely run, so it clings to the sides of the cake.

10 Likes

John Besh’s drop biscuits. I picked up this recipe years ago from his cookbook My Family Table. Same recipe as here, just skip the lamination and keep the batter loose enought to drop.

No buttermilk required (I was out of it this morning). I made a half recipe for 3 very generous biscuits.

9 Likes

This has a very nice crumb. How could it not with melted butter, oil and sour cream in the batter. Loved the crunch from the poppy seeds and an intense flavour of almond with almond extract and almond cream(frangipane) in batter. The topping is coarse sugar and roasted chopped almonds. Might omit the almonds because some didnt adhere to the batter. A sprinkle of sugar would just be fine.

3 Likes

Sounds so delicious!

As a birthday gift for my brother, I made a chocolate layer cake filled and frosted with orange-vanilla ermine icing and covered with De Ruijter dark chocolate sprinkles. I used the full cake recipe to make three tallish 6-inch layers, and torted two of them to make a four-layer cake.

20 Likes

Happy Mother’s Day to all of the mothers on the board! It’s that time of year where I start trying to clear jars of last year’s jam, in anticipation of this years, which will likely start in a few weeks. This is my preferred recipe for using up jam https://www.thespruceeats.com/one-bowl-oatmeal-jam-bars-4843487

Used one jar of strawberry vanilla and one of strawberry, raspberry red currant.

12 Likes

Lovely cake and i want that bundt pan.

I bookmarked that one from your post last year, and have yet to make it. :frowning_face:

You probably don’t have as many jars to work though as me!! :woman_facepalming:

SAME and I gotta get moving on my leftover jam stash. Let’s make it, @MunchkinRedux !!

1 Like

Please tell me about orange-vanilla icing!