What are You Baking? March 2024

You don’t wish to use it as soon as you make it or you want a softer texture on the cake?

I don’t want to use it as soon as I make it.

I was actually wanting to make it the day before I made the cake, but at this point, both have been prepared with all but the wet ingredients, so I may do both within a few hours of each other.

The cake will still need to cool completely, so timing the frosting is still on my mind.

Well, leaving it out overnight and then giving it a gentle whisk would be fine, but honestly, I wouldn’t feel comfortable leaving it unrefrigerated for an extended period of time.
Saying that, you’ve mentioned that your DH prefers it unrefrigerated.
Making both in the same time frame seems to be the best option. While the cake bakes, the frosting could be put together, and then frosted when cake cools.

2 Likes

You remembered!

In the past, I’ve still sometimes found it can be somewhat stiff for spreading , even at room temp. Apparently it depends on the net percentage of chocolate. When I used to use a higher proportion of milk chocolate , it would stay too soft at room temp.

From 2023-2018.

Argh! I am totally overthinking this! This is why I am not a baker.

11 Likes

Well you are correct regarding the higher percentage of chocolate increasing the stiffness, which is why if you just increase it by a small amount , you might get to your Goldilocks consistency.

2 Likes

You can always add a few drops of warm cream if it’s too thick for your liking. Heat a little extra and hold back on it until you mix and then add as necessary in very small increments.
The cake is looking delicious!

2 Likes

Thank you. Those cakes are from various trials over about five years.

That sounds like the perfect solution! Thank you again!

I tend to gather chocolate where I can find it, and since I might be mixing ounces of 50 percent, 55 percent, 61 percent, it gets tricky to calculate.

1 Like

Breakfast-in-Rome Lemon .Cake recipe from Baking with Dorie. This was a moist, lemon intense cake with light but dense crumb. Option was to mix in blueberries. I should have tossed them in flour since they all sank to the bottom. But that was ok because when cut it looked

like the cake was topped with blueberries. I baked it in an aluminum tube pan well greased with bakers grease and no problem getting it out. The pan must be more than 50 years old belonging to my sweet mom.

15 Likes

I’ve wanted to try that recipe for a while… I think you’ve inspired me!

I read a side-by-side test somewhere about flouring/not flouring blueberries, and they found it made no difference… although yours do appear to have very deliberately and resolutely sunk to the absolute bottom! I’ve never had that kind of Complete Sinkage - I wonder if it’s the pan?

2 Likes

In reading reviews on EYB and the Tuesday with Dorie baking group, quiet a few bakers have had the berries sink but not as much as mine. My blueberries were from Costco and big so that might have been the problem.

2 Likes

is the Tuesday group on Facebook?

No. Some post on instagram and some post here https://tuesdayswithdorie.wordpress.com/
We’ve been baking through the book since it was published. Every month 2 recipes are picked and members report on them the second and last Tuesday of the month. You can join anytime. Its a small group.

2 Likes

I have also made that cake but a smaller version in a shallow mold. I added batter to the mold, than the berries, followed by the rest of the batter. They stayed pretty much centered. This was a third.
ETA…NYT has the recipe if you have access.

8 Likes

Lovely. Good to know

Some peeps are putting the berries on top of pan and letting them migrate down.:joy:
It’s is a delicious cake either way.

I’m in awe of your Paska! Mouthwatering delicious looking!

4 Likes

Almond Yogurt Cake from the cookbook Gateau.

When Gateau was BCOTQ, I made this one a few times in a loaf pan, and had a problem with sinking (I don’t think I was alone in that). This time I took @NannyBakes advice and baked (a half recipe) in a 5-cup bundt pan. No sinking!

I replaced the vanilla with Amaretto Disaronno, and served it with a few Amarena Fabbri cherries in syrup and a sprinkling of powdered sugar. A very good cake!

16 Likes

Yay! Looks delicious, glad that did the trick for you!

1 Like

Mine sunk badly too. I’ll have to try this method instead.

1 Like

yep, mine sunk too. Still, so delicious.

1 Like

Thanks. Im proud of knowing how to bake a paska. I have a friend in Montreal who lines up every year very early at a church parish sale to buy one. The women baking them are well into their 90s. Its a lost art. Maybe this new wave of immigrants from Ukraine will help revive the tradition. By the way to know a really good paska it should weigh like a feather.

7 Likes