What are You Baking? March 2024

Cocoa question! Can I make this cake with Dutch-processed cocoa?

Yes. In fact lots of recipes for chocolate mayo cakes call for Dutch process. It’s an old-timey recipe, so it makes sense it would call for natural, but the one you linked is mostly leavened with baking powder, so Dutch process should be good.

1 Like

Thank you @Shellybean !!!

2 Likes

Does anyone own “All about cookies” by Christina Tosi? I have a TON of ritz crackers to use up and would love her recipe for RC cookies. Thanks!

@sallyt

3 Likes

Afghani Naan

12 Likes

@saregama - thanks! I found that too but the ingredients in her book have weight and the instructions are different -I found this tiktok but the directions are blurry

My library has the ebook — I’ll send it to you a bit later.

1 Like

Thank you @Saregama ! Not available in my system -

Have you tried like icebox pie made with Ritz? Everyone always loves it!

1 Like

no! Do you have a recipe? Thanks @Shellybean

I double the amount of lime juice (or more since I do it by taste). Kinda kills me how crowd-pleasing this is compared to more labor-intensive stuff :joy:.

6 Likes

Sent.

I’ve made matzoh crack with ritz crackers, and it’s fantastic (toffee + melted chocolate). I think it has a name (or a few), but I ate it first with matzoh so I never remember the saltine or ritz name :joy:

4 Likes

I’ve made this pie, and loved it.

2 Likes

Those are just my type! Yum.

1 Like

This is definitely happening in this household!

1 Like

They’re ridiculously good.

1 Like

Snowball cookies with yogurt powder coating. I was going to do half blueberry powder and half yogurt, but the yogurt powder was so good and I wanted to use it up. These are SO good and so quick and easy! I will have to make more to try the blueberry ones.

Original recipe here:

6 Likes

After searching high and low, I finally located that can of pineapple chunks I purchased a while ago. I knew it was somewhere in the kitchen and I found it hiding behind a jar of Ragu pasta sauce. Any who… I made a quick pineapple cobbler for dessert tonight. I saved the juice from the can and will add it to tonight’s dinner (Mango-Pineapple Beef).

15 Likes

Just back from another class at the King Arthur Baking School. Topic was French Pastry. This one was so far out of my wheelhouse that every day was a challenge. I learned a lot, picked up new skills, and had fun. At the moment, I’m wiped out.

Here are photos of my projects in the order they were finished over the course of 3 days:

1. Pate a choux and pastry cream. We made chocolate eclairs and cream puffs

1. Brioche. We made a Nanterre, and then ham-cheese-and-onion tarts out of the same dough.

1. Pate sucree for small tarts. We made salted-caramel and chocolate ganache.

1. Kouign amann (kouignettes).

1. Hazelnut macarons.

31 Likes