What are You Baking? March 2024

Lol. I’ll swap you, then. That Irish Cream Scone recipe has been on my list for some time. Nothing like siezing the moment.

Flying out tomorrow so it’ll be a minute before I am baking again. Although perhaps my Hosts would enjoy a Scone :thinking:

5 Likes

Universally appreciated … I’ve been giving them away here and there, I’m the cookie fairy.

I’ve controlled myself, have only eaten 3!

3 Likes

Dorie Greenspan’s Quick Cornbread. My modifications included using a mix of fine-grained and coarse-grained cornmeal, and adding crispy bacon bits, Tillamook cheddar, and chopped scallions. I reduced the salt by half to offset the add-ins, and greased the pan with some of the leftover bacon fat.

I made a half-recipe in an 8” cast iron skillet. Good stuff, with half of the pan leftover for tomorrow’s breakfast.

14 Likes

Meyer lemon jam cake with zest and lemon verbena sugar. A simple 5 ingredient cake that I’ve made a dozen times and a dozen ways. Adapted from Rachel Roddy’s Marmalade cake, it’s quick to put together in the FP and bakes in 17/18 minutes. I brushed this with a mixture of the lemon jam, limoncello and lemon verbena syrup, then dusted with confectionery sugar.

Served with Meyer lemon curd/sour cream mix and blackberries.

19 Likes

Bouchon Au Chocolat.

Deets on the Gateau BCOTM thread here.

15 Likes

Out of curiousity and because it’s raining today and I don’t have much else to do, I compared the RLB and KAF cream scone recipes, equalized to RLB’s flour amount of 300 g. They are basically the same recipe. RLB has 2 pinches more baking powder, decidely less salt, and the bit of honey in lieu of a bit of sugar, but otherwise (excluding type of flour and lemon zest, which are optional, as you mentioned), same-same.

RLB calls for a tad more cream (“as needed”), but that might be because the bread flour should be thirstier than AP.

Now I want to try the recipe with bread flour instead of AP, and see if I can tell any difference in texture.

3 Likes

I find it kind of fascinating that RLB calls for bread flour for both the Irish cream and cream cheese scones in The Baking Bible, given she’s very wedded to lower-gluten flours for a lot of pastry recipes. Definitely curious to try it out sometime.

2 Likes

She uses bread flour for her cranberry scone recipe, as well (which I noted above as an excellent recipe).

One of these days I’ll swap it into a scone recipe for which I routinely use AP flour, and see if I can detect a difference.

3 Likes

Toronto Jo’s buttermilk biscuits, in drop form and super-sized. I believe these qualify for “cat head” biscuit status. :smiley_cat:

18 Likes

I just returned from a week on West Coast visiting friends and family ( and somehow avoiding a big snowfall here in Toronto!), and had a hankering to make some cookies. Tara O’Brady’s Chocolate CHip cookies ( using some Lindt bars I got on sale) https://www.taraobrady.com/recipes-in-full/2019/5/1/tara-obradys-basic-great-chocolate-chip-cookies. This time I browned half the butter: not sure if it had any impact on overall flavour? Going to some friends that I am seeing this long week-end…

17 Likes

Bread machine whole wheat hamburger buns. To have for hot ham & Swiss sandwiches next week with Easter ham leftovers. They’re just going into the oven now, photo to follow. The recipe from Bread Machine Magic calls for just 8 buns from a 1.5 pound loaf. That’s HUGE buns so I’m making 6 larger and 12 half-sized that will still be about double the height of slide buns ( I think - first try with resizing)

7 Likes

Photos - raw and baked

11 Likes

I’m admiring your pre-planning skills! :+1:

3 Likes

Planning is essential since this year’s ham is 4.5 pounds. We’re a household of 2. That famous quote by Dorothy Parker (or Irma Rombauer) is true.

3 Likes

A couple of years ago I was shopping at the meat counter at our local grocer, and the woman working the counter asked me if we liked ham. I nodded, and she pulled me aside to look inside a cardboard case. They had over-ordered on hams, and were selling a few for $0.50 cents a lb. I was elated to buy one, of course.

We nicknamed it “The Gift That Keeps On Giving”. It was 11 lbs. (bone in), and lasted us the proverbial eternity.

8 Likes

I use a little black cocoa in all cocoa desserts as well, but not anywhere close to half. My favorite brownies include 1 1/4 c of cocoa, and I make a little less than 1/4 c of that black cocoa. I love the color, and I also think it adds a deep cocoa flavor. I’ve never tried anything like 50/50 for fear of the final product being dry, but now I’m inspired to up the percentage.

4 Likes

FIFTY CENTS ! Wowza

1 Like

@maestra - no dry baked goods here! I don’t see how it would be more likely than Valrhona to make something dry? Try it!!!

2 Likes

Almond sponge cake Italian style. A nice little breakfast cake, soft and tender with a few tablespoons of Italian almond syrup in the cake.
I also brushed a tablespoon or so of the syrup on the warm cake and dusted with confectionery sugar. Today’s cake has a layer of flaked almonds on the top, sometimes it gets chopped almonds in the interior. I reduced the sugar a bit due to giving the outside some extra syrup. This was made in a 5 cup tube pan, probably 8 small pieces in total.

16 Likes