What are you baking? March 2023

I make yogurt a lot. For me, irrespective of the starter, I got ropy results when I let the boiled milk cool to the “recommended” 110-115deg F. I get the best results with milk cooled to 120deg F, which most sites tell you not to do. I don’t think there is a problem with my thermometer which has worked well in other situations. I cannot explain it, but there it is.

2 Likes

Have you tried stabilizing the whipped cream with agar agar? I have not done so, curious if you had, and what the result was.

It’s the same as crème fraiche or homemade sour cream. I just like the flavor better with the kefir than with either of the other two.

I might give that a try next time, thanks! I will continue baking with this yogurt, but I will make some more soon to eat.

You can also stabilize it with white chocolate.

There’s also a product called Cobasan, which I have heard of, but never seen.

1 Like

There is also Dr. Oetker Whip It, which is a modified starch mixture made for stabilizing whipped cream. I’ve not used it, but I assume it dissolves better and lacks the flavor Seregama worried cornstarch would impart.

3 Likes

Instant Clear Jel also works also works well. Lots of people are fans of instant pudding, but there’s no way the artificial flavoring and sugar isn’t noticeable.

I’m using 210s from Modernist Pantry, which is xantham gum with gum arabic. I use it more for helping the cream to whip up, but I know people use xantham gum to help whipped cream hold, too. You need a powder scale to measure out xantham gum for whipped cream.

1 Like

No, but I did order agar agar while I was thinking about it :wink:

Just didn’t have the time to experiment first, and didn’t want the birthday cake to be the first try. (As it is I ordered twice the necessary cream just in case, and wouldn’t you know it, the littler kid who was sous chef - or maybe I was sous, who am I kidding - was so enthusiastic in his beating that the first batch went one step too close to butter…)

Also had xanthan (which I was using on and off for GF baking), but same reason (plus I can tell mouthfeel from xanthan).

1 Like

Btw for those looking to make buttercreams, Sugarologie has this really cool method that I’m planning on trying out when she releases the green tea version. I like the natural colors plus promise of a less buttery flavor.

Still want to try out the cream cheese buttercream sometime. I think using buttermilk or yogurt powder powder would be an improvement on it to get more tang that boosts the cream cheese flavor:

1 Like

Jessie Sheehan uses marshmallow fluff to stabilize whip cream. I used this method and 2 days later my whipped cream still held.

3 Likes

Agree, works very well, I’ve seen it used elsewhere as an additive to buttercream .

It does contain egg whites if that’s a consideration tho’.

Yes, eggs wouldn’t work for some of my vegetarian circle.

1 Like

Perhaps this could be considered if you don’t mind how much heavy cream is to be used…whipped in processor, it is very, very thick and stable. This does not double in volume but remains pretty much the same volume as put into the processor. So if you add one cup cream, you will have one cup whipped rather than the usual doubling. This is an old Cuisinart recipe modified by Stella to include freeze dried fruit to flavor the cream, but works well unflavored, add sugar to suit you.

1 Like

Good to know, thank you!

As it turned out, just the small amount of cornstarch in the powdered sugar must have worked well enough back then, because my nephew could pipe out rosettes, and they stayed till the next day.

But for hotter / more humid conditions, this is all good to learn.

Got a last minute dinner invitation Wednesday for Friday, so offered to make dessert. I still have tons of last year’s rhubarb in the freezer, so I made this recipe from one of my favourite cookbooks, http://mrsbutterfingers.com/?p=3827, Snacking Cakes. It was vey quick to make ( I made it during my lunch break from work) and was a big hit…

13 Likes

Za’atar-carrot biscuits. A mash-up of two different recipes from Erin Jeanne McDowell’s Savory Baking.

Basically, I took the add-ins and seasoning from her za’atar-carrot scone recipe, and added them to her buttermilk drop biscuit recipe, thinking the latter would be a better vehicle. I’m glad I did that, as the grated carrots played very nicely with the brown sugar in the biscuit recipe. I could hardly taste the za’atar, and I’m not sure it added anything for me.

I will definitely make the biscuit recipe again, and will probably use carrots for an add-in on occasion - I liked those here. I think I’ll pass on the za’atar, however, at least for biscuits.

9 Likes

After dinner, Sunshine asked if I would make her another batch of “Brown Sugar Blondies” but this time with walnuts.

Sunshine’s “sweet tooth” is now happy!!

11 Likes

I wanted a pineapple upside-down cake last night but was too lazy. Only got as far as slicing the pineapple and eating some. So this morning I made a pineapple oven pancake. I usually use pineapple chunks, but the rings all released from the cast iron pan so will do it this way going forward.

9 Likes

Pear frangipane tart with a chocolate crust. “Some” pear raspberry jam is under the frangipane,and the pears were lightly poached prior to baking. The crust was tender and cut easily with a fork. (Crust from “ Pastries Standard Baking Co.” ) A lovely combination of textures and flavors, a repeat for sure if I write down what I did😄.

15 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like