What are you baking? March 2023

@Nannybakes

May I ask what weight you use for converting flour measurements in this cookbook (Standard Baking Co. Pastries)?

1 Like

Cookbook says recipes were tested with all-purpose flour and “measure flour using the scoop and level method - scooping the flour out of the bag with a utensil into a measuring cup, leveling the excess with a straight edge.” Also says for more tender tart doughs or scones substitute up to 25% with pastry flour and use slightly less liquid.

2 Likes

I usually use 125g. as a standard, but since it was a scoop/level measurement, I arbitrarily decided on 130g. I did not scoop / level weigh. It could possible be a little more? For the tart crusts, I probably went with the 125g. , I use pastry flour.
So annoying to use guesswork, I read it fairly carefully to see if there were any other “clues”, so much faster to weigh as you well know.

1 Like

Thank you!

I did a test scoop - it came out at 156 g. Seemingly too heavy, IMO, so this morning I went with 135, and still had to add a little liquid.

I don’t mind so much winging it when I’m working on bread (today is the chocolate babka), because it’s easy for me to gauge by the feel of the dough whether the hydration is right. With cookies and pastries, however, it’s really nerve wracking - for me at least - to determine without weights whether my ratios of flour to butter are correct for the desired result.

Will post results later this afternoon!

1 Like

Excellent! That is precisely the problem with the scoop measurement…differing weights. I think DL uses 140 g. , at least on some of his recipes, and even that strikes me as high. As with bread, if the pie crust dough is too wet, you can compensate when rolling out. Too dry is a little harder to correct, at least for me, although I’ve been there! Bon courage!

1 Like

I always apply 128/4.5 oz. All cookbooks I have that list cups I measure as 128 grams of flour. Now I might use a bit more but that’s because the flour here is so weird. I can typically tell if a bit more is needed.

140g/5 oz is the measure when you dip the cup into the flour rather than scoop it into the cup. It’s used by Cook’s Illustrated and David Lebovitz. And I could swear Dorie Greenspan, too, though I can’t find the source, but for years I used 5 oz as the default measurement for her recipes.

1 Like

Agree on Dorie Greenspan. Seems I’ve come across at least one of her recipes where using a lesser amount wasn’t working out, and I had to add flour.

1 Like

And let’s not forget that King Arthur Baking weighs in at 120g. per cup!

2 Likes

Alternate, thicker glaze: 1 teaspoon tangerine zest, 2 tablespoons tangerine juice, 1 cup Confectioners’ Sugar, pinch of salt, whisk well

This is the second time (lately) that I made this cake; both times I forgot to put on the damp velcro strip around the cake pan, both times got a dome. (I sliced some of it off.) Mine takes about 55 minutes instead of 45.

This time I doubled the zest, used Tangerine and Meyer Lemon. Used a thicker glaze with Confectioners’ Sugar. Do I need more glaze or maybe thicker glaze?

Haven’t tasted it yet.

5 Likes

According to David Lebovitz (who uses 140 grams per cup of flour), the reason King Arthur uses 120 grams is because their flour has a higher protein content than most all purpose flours.

1 Like

True that, and unfortunately, people use KA for cakes and sometimes complain about less than stellar results.

3 Likes

In Baking With Dorie, she measures 1 cup of flour at 136g, so pretty close. In that book, she also states that her usual AP is KAF. (When I use KAF in a recipe that doesn’t provide weights, I default to their 120g/cup).

1 Like

Oops, I should have posted this in April. I just had a tiny bite and I prefer it with this glaze.

9 Likes

Moved to April

Just to follow up: I revisited these drop biscuits, which call for brown sugar and buttermilk. I added the equivilent of one cup grated carrots to the recipe, but skipped the za’atar. Good stuff! We both liked them, and I’ll make them again this way.

8 Likes

Pistachio?