What are you baking? March 2022

It was in the LCBO (Ontario liquor store) Food and Drink for this spring. Lots of great rhubarb recipes in the issue!

5 Likes

That is stunning! Thank you for persevering and posting the picture/recipe. I will definitely save this one!

3 Likes

Oooohhhh- they look incredible, sallyt. I suppose it’s a copyright violation to post the recipe here, but i’d love to have it.

1 Like

It this it?

Can I dm it to you? @maccrogenoff , no, it’s different…

I made three cakes from Snacking Cakes in three days! Friday was the fudgy chocolate cake with cocoa frosting. Excellent. Saturday was the gingerbread cake - brought to book club and everyone loved it. SO good but very fluffy - I prefer a less ethereal texture. Somewhere between that and dense. Sunday (today) was the coconut lime cake but the lemon variation. this was SO AMAZING. I made as is except baked in a 9" sq pan for 25 minutes.

18 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Zoe Francois’ tutu pavlova.
pavlova 2

Next time I’ll shape the pavlova more upright to get a prettier effect. This has whipped cream, homemade lemon curd, and some raspberries.

20 Likes

This is drop dead gorgeous as-is! It looks like a Tulip about to open. No need to change a thing!

8 Likes

The weekly bread bake: 2 pullman loaves einkorn, 2 loaves French country. Both sourdough.

A French loaf was what’s for dinner with some tinned fish, cold cuts, pickles, cut up veg and broth inna cup. Very satisfying.

14 Likes

Yes! Thank you for posting. I was looking at that recipe. On the “to make” list now.

Aww, thanks!

1 Like

I made mochi brownies from this recipe I stumbled upon online. I like the concept, since the texture of mochi is so fun, but the recipe itself wasn’t perfect. I think the temperature was a bit too high, so the edges got a bit too crusty before the inside fully set. If I were to do this again, I’d cook at a lower temp for longer. Still, cool idea and I like that these are gluten free if I ever need to make a gf option for a friend.

11 Likes

Stromboli from Sally’s Baking Addiction.

I found the recipe very easy to follow, yet still managed to accidentally leave out one of the meats. The salami, which was on the scale right in front of my workstation, was somehow was overlooked. The end result was a tasty ham and two-cheese stromboli.

Loved the recipe, and found it very easy to make. I thought the dough came out great – tender with a crispy crust, and baked all the way through. It was a big hit with DH, so bonus points for that.

More good news: for ease of mixing, Sally encourages you to make enough dough for two strombolis, so there is a second dough ball in the freezer. I’ll take another shot at it soon.

ETA: Use the slideshow feature to see a photo of the cross-cut.

12 Likes

Salted Black Cocoa Sables with Caramelized White Chocolate Chunks - a lot of work but most amazing.
CD6129EC-354F-46F1-9E2C-D10BEAEBED6E

The caramelized white chocolate has the most unique flavor and once you get the hang of making it, i do it in the oven because my microwave isnt powerful, its manageable. First it gets dry, then it loosens up , there are instructions on line, you must stir, and stir…

and a chocolate cake to die for

Its small but if its just 2 of you you have enough to freeze, and if there are 4 you have a chance to finish it.

15 Likes

WOW. I can honestly say I’ve never seen anyone make stromboli from scratch before. It’s a well-known treat in my part of the US, but always bought, never made. Brava!

2 Likes

Those cookies are lookers. Where’s the recipe from, if I may ask?

It’s very easy and manageable! I love that recipe and recommended it last winter - try it!

Hi sallyt,

Thanks for the offer, but I’m not planning to bake them. I was hoping to help ewsflash.

yes! I knew that - I was actually responding to ewsflash. It takes some getting used to the threading of responses on HO, but you can see in my response that I was responding to their post.

1 Like