What Are You Baking? June 2023

I’m not typically in favor of chicken on pizza (or a whole bunch of other foods tbh), but I have homemade bbq sauce and also a little bit of the bacon I cured and smoked, so I thought bbq chicken pizza might be fun. I cooked the breast sous vide to ensure really moist meat.

And some prosciutto, pineapple, and jalapeño pizza.

15 Likes

Black Forest wacky cake from ‘Snackable Bakes’. I love BFC and this looked like an easy version to try. The topping is excellent and in my opinion deserves a better chocolate cake.

14 Likes

Sunshine asked for a homemade chocolate cake with homemade chocolate icing. The day kind of got away from me and I got it frosted right before we went to sleep. Apparently, my little Sunshine couldn’t wait until morning and did a little “midnight snacking” on the cake.

9 Likes

This looks delicious.

1 Like

It is most delicious and after a few pieces I think the cake part is fine - it is just the vehicle for the topping. The cake was ridiculously easy to put together.

3 Likes

I made Cooking Tree’s Snickers cake and it’s pretty delicious. I added salt to the cake and made a 2/3 recipe in a 6-inch mold. Unfortunately the mold was a little short and I didn’t use acetate to line it and provide a collar, so I couldn’t get a perfectly neat top.

11 Likes

Still chipping away at last year’s jam and another winner from Jessie Sheehan!
https://www.today.com/recipes/strawberry-crumble-bars-t284951 I used a plum and pear jam instead. Incredibly easy, and pretty darn good!

14 Likes

I’ve got some delicious looking jams … might need to make this.

2 Likes

I made those bars two weeks ago (using a commercial strawberry jam that was far too sweet, but the recipients loved them).

Am thinking next time I’ll figure out an apple filling.

6 Likes

I think I’m going to faint! that looks incredible. Were you happy with it?

1 Like

Yes, it was great! I will make it again! I chopped the peanuts on top and would do that in the future.

I had gotten the dough into my tart pan for this Bakewell tart when without thinking I filled it rather than blind baking it first. Thankfully my baking steel really helped it, so even if not perfect it worked out pretty well. I used some raspberry jam I made and a few frozen raspberries. I kept the dough very low on sugar and actually think a bit more would have been welcome.

11 Likes

Rhubarb custard cake for a meeting at work tomorrow. https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/rhubarb-custard-cake Looks like the rum that I bought just to make this and a Dorie apple cake is almost gone! I was also rushing when I cut the rhubarb, so not as pretty as it could be.

15 Likes

7 Likes

I love that cake @rstuart ! I grow rhubarb just to make it

7 Likes

Chocolate crust strawberry pie? Have you made it before and liked it? I’m not at all sure chocolate & strawberry are a valid combo for our house.

It’s actually a dark chocolate tart, garnished with fresh strawberries.

I dunno, in my house, strawberries and dark chocolate are about as natural as Kleenex and snot.

But I can understand that some might not take to the pairing, I suppose. Just like some people prefer to breath deeply and swallow (gulp) their snot. :rofl:

REALLY sorry I asked. Gross.

2 Likes

Lunch today featured this Burst Tomato, Zucchini and Corn Galette. A summertime favorite that CH’er maccrogenoff recommended from Smitten Kitchen.

Mine today swapped the ratio of tomato (3 C per the recipe) and Zucchini (1 small, about 1 C) due to what was in the refrigerator. It was still good but I prefer the more-tomato version.

10 Likes

Good to know! The same thing happened to me yesterday shopping in the big chain grocers and I almost bought the squeeze… it looked so cool. I was only shopping for sour cream to make a chive and sour cream dip for my veggie fritters not for baking.
fritters

1 Like