What Are You Baking? June 2023

Beautiful and your mother must have been very happy with them!

3 Likes

Both are BEAUTEOUS. What a lovely gift for your mother’s birthday!

The chocolate cake is a monster! I love the decoration, too.

2 Likes

seeing a friend for brunch tomorrow: decided to try this, since I randomly bought some oat flour :https://buttermilkbysam.com/oat-flour-chocolate-chunk-cookies/
The dough tasted good, will see how they taste tomorrow!

15 Likes

I made these for GF friends and both the GF folks and non-GF folks really enjoyed them! I plan to do some experimenting with the base dough to come up with some other cookie options for my GF friends.

1 Like

Cheesecake bars with passion fruit and mango jelly. So good!

18 Likes

Did you check the fat content on the sour cream? It can vary from fat free to quite high. That will also effect the results.

I buy sour cream with cream and culture only, as well, because there’s a whole plethora of inappropriate items that are often added.

Here’s an example of Gay Lea (Canadian variety) that’s fat free:
Milk, modified milk ingredients, modified corn starch, propylene glycol mono fatty acid ester, pectin, colour, sodium phosphate, cellulose gel, cellulose gum, bacterial culture.

Damn, why was I not invited.

4 Likes

Ingredient label (sorry for the all caps!)

WHOLE MILK, CREAM, SKIM MILK, ENZYMES, LIVE AND ACTIVE CULTURES (LACTOBACILLUS ACIDOPHILUS AND BIFIDOBACTERIUM LACTIS).

1 Like

Re-visiting Erin Jeanne McDowell’s cream cake from the Food52 website – this time a half-recipe in a 6-cup Nordic Ware cakelette pan (“Buttercup”).

Tomorrow we will be taking a few of the cakelettes over to my 96-y.o. father’s residence for Father’s Day, where they will be topped with a scoop of locally made vanilla-bean ice cream, garnished with a banana, and served with a choice of Frans Dark Chocolate Sauce or homemade strawberry syrup from our garden berries (or both).

Today we sampled them simply with fresh strawberries and little powdered sugar. Ultimately, we ended up adding a little of the strawberry sauce, as well. Dense, with a strong vanilla profile, the cake made a nice base for shortcake.

17 Likes

Auvergne Rye Wheat Boule from The Rye Baker.

This bread uses rye and wheat sponges prepared the night before baking. The description in the recipe is “a dense yet very tender crumb wrapped in a thick, crisp crust. It features both the earthiness of the rye and the sweetness of wheat, with just a touch of sour.” It is spot on.

Baked as a batard instead of a boule, just because the shape makes for more even slices. Will make again, for sure.

Add images here

13 Likes

Kolaches from 100 Morning Treats by Sara Kieffer. Loving this book. It says that this is popular in Texas and was brought over by Czech immigrants but my Ukrainian mother use to bake something similar using farmers cheese. Fathers Day request. Sour Cream dough was made yesterday and refrigerated overnight. Dough is rolled out cut with a cookie cutter and brushed with egg wash. An indentation is made with a glass. A filling of cream cheese with sugar and lemon juice is spread in the indentation and topped with jam or lemon curd. I made the buns half lemon curd half apricot. Strudel is sprinkled around the bun, quite pleased with them.

16 Likes

Gorgeous!

Thanks . Have a look at that book. Its so good. Her instructions are excellent. I love her other book Baking for the Holidays too.

1 Like

Those are So cute!

Just put it on hold… thanks for the tip

I found the pan on ebay - couldn’t resist!

3 Likes

adorable.

1 Like

Very enticing.

For my annual friends’ BBQ today, I had to bring my dessert offering in on the train, so as much as I wanted to do something different, it had to be stable at room temperature and highly transportable. And it had to include local strawberries, which are in their final few days of availability. (They’ve also beein great this year, drought notwithstanding.)

So I baked my stalwart Triple Lemon Velvet bundt, then prepared some macerated berries to spoon over. I could’ve made a coulis but wanted to keep it simple.

I baked the cake Thursday night, then wrapped it in clingfilm and held it at room temperature until today. This was the cake with the “special” sour cream I mentioned upthread. Not sure it made any difference ultimately, which was a relief.

Photo is not that alluring, but the combination was terrific. After I snuck back for a tiny second helping, almost everyone else did, as well, so I think it was a success :slight_smile:
lemonstrawbcake

15 Likes

Deliciousness

13 Likes