What are you baking? June 2022

I have printed out her recipe, have all the ingredients. Is this your preferred recipe for chocolate scones? I should add more sugar?

You don’t need more sugar if you make them with the milk chocolate called for, and I do think they’re better made with milk chocolate than dark chocolate.
They are pretty fantastic scones imo.

2 Likes

Normally, I use bittersweet but I already bought TJ pound plus milk chocolate.

Please report back if you make these with the Pound Plus. With thanks to @sallyt for the recommendation, I also bought some of the same chocolate for making this scone. I haven’t baked with it yet, but straight out of the package, it has met with DH’s approval.

ETA: I also second the recommendation not to add extra sugar if using milk chocolate. These were pretty perfect as written.

2 Likes

Baked with the 2 grand-nieces Monday - M & M cookies from Sally’s Baking Addiction. The choice of the soon-to-be-5 birthday girl for her evening early gift-opening party with us. It was a fun weekend with my 2 sisters and the 2 littles, but it took all 3 of us adults to keep up with the energetic 2 year-old and the birthday girl. Their parents returned from a long-weekend Anniversary trip and did a good job of seeming surprised by the combination welcome-home / early-birthday party.

5 Likes

There’s been pretty convincing evidence over time that TJ’s pound plus bars (and the three-packs of little bars of the same kind sold near the register) are made by Callebaut.

4 Likes

I used to be able to get Callebaut Dutch process cocoa powder - I loved it!

If you can find it around you, Guittard Cocoa Rouge is a high-quality Dutch-process cocoa I find pretty comparable to Valrhona, but a bit less spendy.

4 Likes

I don’t scone often, so I don’t have a favorite recipe :slight_smile: Except maybe the ginger scones from La Brea, which I love. We don’t like or consume milk chocolate in my house, but dark chocolate is much less sweet. To be fair, I also used less chocolate than called for… approximately 5.25 oz instead of the 6 or 7 the recipe stated… The texture was quite nice and I think 2 tbsp of sugar in the dough would have been perfect. Rather than 2 tsp with milk choc.

Thanks so much for your writeups. Comparisons are my favorite type of content. Did you use American-style butter? And was your heavy cream the LandOLakes style with added ingredients or just straight cream?

Did you mostly eat these plain or with jam?

I didn’t know it was a verb! HA HA

1 Like

In my house everything is a verb! Or has the potential to be one :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are welcome!

I used standard grocery store unsalted butter. Can’t recall the exact brand, most likely Lucerne, Tillamook, LandOLakes, or possibly Kirkland brand. I usually have around whatever is on sale.

The cream for the first three batches would have been Lucerne Heavy Whipping Cream, and the cream for the fourth batch O Organics Heavy Whipping Cream - the latter being a super thick and heavy cream which (looking at the label) contains cream and gellum gum. I thought the texture was a little flakier using the slightly lighter, Lucerne cream.

I hope that helps!

1 Like

I love that stuff.

Smitten Kitchen’s Blueberry Boy Bait, one of my summer must-haves.

blueberry boy bait june 2022

11 Likes

That is a great cake!

2 Likes

You’re killin’ me with all the strawberries and blueberries - we’re weeks out yet! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

remind me where generally you are? canada?

Our local strawberries are in here… just eating them straight up though!

1 Like

PNW. I can see Canada from my house.

2 Likes