What are you baking? Jan 2023

Stella Parks’ NY cheesecake split into two 6-inch pans.
I used local queso crema instead of goat cheese. This particular brand is fairly moist and I thought would do a nice job of breaking up the texture of the cream cheese which is what the goat cheese does at a much higher price. The texture looked similar enough so I thought it would work well.
This time I doubled the lemon juice (lime in my case) as I felt last time that a little more tang wouldn’t hurt. I cut the sugar as I did last time (by two ounces for a full recipe for a total of 12 ounces) and truthfully I really think another ounce or two would be more to my liking. In the photos you can see I poked one with a thermometer to test the temperature. It was in the 150-155 range. I will unmold tomorrow after they’ve had a nice long stay in the fridge.

13 Likes

Today I am baking a chocolate chip banana bread. I am using ripe bananas, melted butter, eggs, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, chocolate chips, and brown sugar.

4 Likes

As soon as I parted with them I thought how I should have offered to slice them because lots of people don’t know how to do it neatly and I can definitely see a butter knife being used :grimacing:.

11 Likes

When I worked in Manhattan years ago, I would pick up a buttered roll and coffee at the corner bodega or cart after exiting the subway. Those days are long gone, but not my periodic craving for a buttered roll of this ilk (can’t be found in norcal).

I’ve made about four batches of kaiser rolls in the past year, but haven’t nailed it yet. The light as air, almost wonder like texture and barely-there crust has proved difficult to fully replicate. My current methodology is an adaptation of the King Arthur recipe. The ratios are essentially the same, but I use the tangzhong technique when preparing the dough. I also add soy lecithin (6 grams). I picked up a kaiser stamp, as i wasn’t happy with my braiding technique. I steam the oven using a cast iron pan below the baking sheet, but only maintain it for about half the bake. I plan to have another go at this in the next few weeks.

7 Likes

That sounds like a marvelous adventure! I hope you follow up with how your next bake goes.

1 Like

Carole Walter’s chocolate coconut devils with the last of the sweetened coconut I bought while I was in the city last month. These are awesome chocolate cookies, and I often don’t like these soft, deeply chocolatey cookies. But the coconut and almond extract in these make them more interesting for me. I doubled the salt and used salted butter and ultimately decided they also needed a sprinkle of flaky salt on top, too. Because I fear the flour here, I used 2 eggs and one yolk rather than three eggs called for and this worked great. I also can’t reliably get unsweetened chocolate here, so I used 81% percent chocolate. I used 100 grams of 81% chocolate as a substitute for 85 grams unsweetened, removing 16 grams of sugar from the total amount in the cookies because 100 grams of 81% chocolate contain 16 grams of sugar. This worked out and I find the sugar just right. I really wanted to add the pecans in the variation she includes, but I’m being stingy with them. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12 Likes

My first post-holiday baking: also what I made last January ( to use up butterscotch chips!) An Elinor Klivans bake and slice recipe ( which I like, because you can store the dough in the freezer easily) that has chocolate and butterscotch chip and toffee bits.

17 Likes

hooo boy is that tempting-sounding.

1 Like

those toffee cookies look wonderful. I’ve got a ton of toffee I’d like to use up. Is that the Kitchen sink recipe? Could you direct me to the recipe?

thank you!

I still always go back to Fannie Farmer for pound cake. Low in calories, too. :wink:

1 Like

I baked a makivnyk which is a poppy seed roll for a friend. We celebrated our Christmas on the 25th not January 7. :ukraine: :ukraine: :ukraine:

This was baked a couple of years ago. Didnt have time to photograph recent one.

16 Likes

Buttermilk sourdough-discard biscuits with an overnight rest of the dough.

This was a random recipe I found on the internet. I was intrigued by the overnight rest of the dough, which is not something I typically do with biscuits.

I let it go 14 hours at room temp, which resulted in a slightly puffy dough. After working in the salt, baking powder and soda, I gave it a another 10-minute rest before patting it out and cutting the biscuits. I made a 1/3 recipe and got 6 small biscuits, including two not-so-pretty rerolls. I baked on a standard baking sheet lined with parchment for 24 minutes minutes. In hindsight, these are the type of biscuits that would fare better crowded in a pan for good, upright rise. As it were, DH nicknamed these The Wild Biscuits (they went all over the place).

They came out far better than I anticipated. They were flavorful, thanks to the overnight rest. The innards were flakey and the bottoms crispy. The layered texture reminded me of refrigerator biscuits in a can, however without the oiliness or artificial flavors.

Will make them again - next time in a pan, and probably with an added pinch of salt.

16 Likes

I follow this instagram everything.sourdough but cant find an actual website. She gives recipes right in the instagram and they look very good.

1 Like

I can’t find the recipe anywhere online? It’s from this book: https://www.thekitchn.com/slice-amp-bake-cookies-by-elinor-klivans-new-cookbook-190994
You can actually see the recipe for this one in this story… sort of. Let me know if you’d like me to paraphrase.

toffee, butterscotch chocolate chip? I found it (?)on a Maine news site and reserved the book from the library.

(https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/news/local/207/toffee-butterscotch-chocolate-chip-cookies/97-155790813)

In the meantime I made the recipe I found today using up bits and pieces, chocolate covered coffee beans, See’s candy dark chocolate California brittle and chocolate covered almonds, all whizzed a bit in the processor into cookie friendly size.

thanks so much for getting back.

3 Likes

That’s it!!! Enjoy…

I was baking some sablés and I thought the difference between ones baked on parchment vs perforated silicone mat was quite startling. Striking marking aside, the ones on parchment puffed up a lot more and didn’t hold the nice shape that the ones on perforated silicone did. Truthfully I’ve never been a huge fan of silicone mats for most things, but the perforated ones are really great for certain things.

12 Likes

I got brainwashed by IG to make a galette des rois. I made the puff pastry and filling from French Pastry made Simple by Molly Wilkinson. Her instructions for puff pastry are so precise with illustrations, very easy

. Filling is easy too. We will cut into it after supper

21 Likes

How was it? Your pastry looks good. Was your filling frangipane?

1 Like

I also got brainwashed to do this! Picked out my recipe yesterday and lined up my ingredients to bake it today… but a much-needed nap intervened. I ate the last slice of a frozen Russian honey cake from the freezer instead :no_mouth:

11 Likes