what are you Baking? February 2024

I almost went with half grapeseed and half butter just now, then decided that since I haven’t made it since I was akid, I should just make the base recipe (yes, you made me make a tiny one Nannybakes :joy: – waiting for it to cool before I add jam).

4 Likes

I have Kaiser spring-form pans. I had to order them from Europe, and I LOVE them. I always hand wash, just in case. Good to know it’s the right thing to do.

1 Like

Haha! I toyed with 1/2 and 1/2 but went with the all butter as per recipe. Very interested in your results, and what size did you make?

I use loose bottom pans rather than springform, eliminates any problems. But…my 7x2”pans are standard cake pans that I use infrequently. The parchment made for easy release.19cm is about 7.5”, I think I have one that size but 4” tall.

A tiny Victoria sandwich / Victoria sponge cake (@Nannybakes made me!).

Dialed down to 1 egg, and I actually weighed the rest for a change haha.

My strawberry jam WENT BAD? I didn’t know this was even a THING? :woman_facepalming:t2:

Pivoted to elderflower marmalade (which did align well with the elderflower syrup I brushed the layers with before I checked the strawberry jam :joy:).

This was quite a throwback — I haven’t made this since middle school, I think! My mom used to have a standard 1 egg formula we made very often, no recipe needed, and most of the time we just skipped the jam entirely, the sponge was delicious as is. It still is!

12 Likes

The smallest similarly sized tins I have are 5”, with a slight design, so I just used them and put the design side inside.

I could also have used my 4” springform and sliced the cake in half horizontally for slightly thicker layers, I guess, but this worked out fine.

Thanks to y’all, especially @Nannybakes, I think I know what went wrong.

This site (the recipe I used yesterday) reprints Delia’s recipe, but specifies two 8" tins; in other instances, the recipe (same ingredients and weights thereof) specifies two 7" tins. I think in 7" tins it would’ve been fine.

Since I don’t plan to buy 7" tins, I’ll scale the recipe up slightly and try again.

WHEW. I was having a bit of an existential crisis there as a baker.

7 Likes

Your cake looks great. It’s nice to go retro! I might guess that your family recipe went along the lines of weight of the egg and the rest of ingredients at the same weight.
I’m curious to see how the cake holds up overnight.
I initially had a thought to put the entire recipe in a 6x3” but I wanted to see if we could contribute to solving mig’s dilemma. I will probably try the 6x3” at some near point.

1 Like

That’s great mig, good luck with the follow up cake! Dilemma solved, by the way, on Delia’s site, the baking temperature is a little lower in addition to the size of cake tin being smaller.

First try at sourdough bagels.

20 Likes

Thank you for pointing that out - I did wonder about that as well.

1 Like

No weights for baking when I was growing up (even now, old school bakers like my aunt who had a cake business and baking and cooking classes only go by measures). I think it was something like 1 egg, 1 cup flour, 1 cup butter, 1 cup sugar – or maybe the sugar and butter were half? “Cup” really meant a cup, not a measuring cup :joy:. I will ask my mom. We made this regularly for years!

My recollection of this is a “dry” cake by today’s standards – that’s why the jam and cream.

2 Likes

You would never mistake it for a butter cake , that’s for sure! But I found it very pleasant and a nice style of cake.

1 Like

@mig, if you really want to obsess over it, here you go:

https://kitchenprojects.substack.com/p/all-about-cake#:~:text=The%20typical%20Victoria%20Sponge%20mixture,add%20lightness%20to%20the%20batter.

Even as I like deep dives this is not for me. :joy: A Victoria sponge is a pound cake, and I hate complicating one of the simplest, most delicious types of cakes (I freaking love pound cake). Some good info in there to ponder, but I find the classic cake perfectly delicious.

Although the measurements are similar, a sponge cake has a much different texture and crumb . It’s called sponge cake since it’s spongy😁, a poundcake , on the other hand, has a fine, dense crumb and certainly not spongy . If you get the opportunity, perhaps you could give this one a try?

1 Like

A sponge cake by definition is made with whipped eggs. It’s not made with the creaming method. When Brits want to complain about “biscuits” being scones (a common occurrence), I hit them right back with “sponge”. :joy: “Vanilla sponge”? Vanilla butter cake! I mean literally a recipe for an American vanilla cake gets called a “vanilla sponge” there, and that’s perfectly fine because different places have different terms, but it doesn’t make it an actual sponge cake.

And a Victoria sponge is a pound cake. A modern one because of the inclusion of baking powder, because if you get really traditional pound cakes don’t include baking powder (though modern pound cakes are more likely to include it than not), but a pound cake nonetheless. It belongs in a separate category entirely from sponge cakes. Nicola Lamb who wrote that article says it explicitly, and Felicity Cloake who also did a bunch of testing acknowledges as well that it’s not a sponge cake.

2 Likes

I’m here for this pastry terminology showdown!!

2 Likes

Roasted cauliflower and caramelized onion tart baked in a deep quiche pan.

Mostly vegetables, with cheese and a little custard to bind them. Eggs, drained whole milk greek yogurt, and milk for the custard. Aged gouda, toscano, and a shredded mix I don’t like but need to use up for the cheese. 2019 vintage TJs all-butter pie crust from the freezer ftw.

Loosely inspired by seeing a pic of this SK version of a Bon Appetit recipe on IG (but I did not actually follow the recipe – in case the weird ingredients didn’t make that clear :joy:).

13 Likes

Please feel free to call it whatever you chose, but in the US, most people would relate to a standard Bundt style poundcake as being considerably different from a Victorian sponge cake.
And to complicate things, my personal preference is for an Italian sponge cake made with potato starch.

That looks delicious!

1 Like