what are you Baking? February 2024

This orange chiffon is delicious:

I also love a couple of orange and olive oil chiffon cakes I’ve made before that I’d have to find.

And I love Alice Medrich’s vin santo chiffon, but the orange is just a small amount of zest.

ETA: another I love is from Deborah Madison:

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/lifestyle/deborah-madison-shares-her-favorite-recipes-in-in-my-kitchen/

1 Like

and in the USA I rarely had a butter cake make it past day three, when it was still plenty moist.

Day 6 of our Elvis Presley’s favorite pound cake. Drier, but still good. Husband will not suffer refrigerated cake (but I might :shushing_face:)

4 Likes

Assuming making a smaller cake is not an option, try freezing half or more for later. Six days is a lot to ask of any cake :laughing:. Don’t refrigerate, as that will make it stale.
Pound cake is really delicious toasted in some butter, too.

2 Likes

I suggested freezing some but husband insisted on powering through.

2 Likes

Clearly your husband will not be bested by cake :joy:

3 Likes

Wow. I was off for a week and came back to 155 new messages! It’s been a busy month! I was away, but was back at work today, and a friend who I have worked with for many years, and who is leaving our organization, dropped into the office. She has a wheat allergy, so I made this recipe: https://www.eater.com/23385972/chocolate-peanut-butter-cookies-recipe-edd-kimber-small-batch-bakes-cookbook for her. It’s a variation of the Ovenly recipe: I skipped the chocolate, and made 10 cookies total. After mixing the dough I formed the balls, and stuck them in the freezer for 30 minutes. Seemed to work: they spread but not too much! Forgot pictures but mine are always bad anyway!

8 Likes

Milk bread is the bestest.

1 Like

I found some Lemon Extract on the “clearance” shelf at the grocery store. If I think I can use any of the items on the clearance shelf, I grab them up. Any who, I made a lemon cake with lemon butter cream frosting. I added a little yellow food coloring to make it fun.

13 Likes

Jumping on the Victoria sponge train.

Because I wanted to make something from the Downton Abbey Afternoon Tea Cookbook (currently free on Kindle Unlimited and $2.99 for everyone else in the US), I used their recipe for mini cakes which is within a few grams of the Delia and Mary Berry formulas – a tad more flour and a tad less sugar. I made a half recipe for six small cakes.

While I like the idea of starting with the egg weight and working backwards, and am glad to have learned that trick, I did stick with the weights given in the book for this first attempt, which are (half recipe):

125 g. flour
112 g. butter
100 g. sugar
2 eggs (mine came to 109 g.)
baking powder, salt, vanilla.

I baked at 350 degrees in six 3” x 2” Fat Daddio pans, using a pre-heated quarter sheet pan for ease of handling. I sprayed the tins with Everbake, and had no issues with the cakes releasing.

Side-stepping the traditional strawberry or raspberry jam, I used some homemade peach jam which needed using up. A little whipped cream and powdered sugar didn’t hurt.

Fun and tasty little cakes! I would like them to hold up well (unjammed) for 48 hours, by which time they will have disappeared. I’m thinking these will make a great base for shortcake come strawberry season.

17 Likes

Incredibly, I’m making v sponge again tonight myself AND planning to use peach jam as well!

I’m thinking of making some ginger syrup as well….

5 Likes

I can see how syrup would be good here. I’m tempted to sometime try the idea of swapping just a bit of the butter for oil.

2 Likes

I kind of wonder if adding some malted milk powder in place of some of the powdered milk would work. Leave it to me to think of substitutions before having tried the recipe as written.

2 Likes

Mind linking?

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work!

Recently I made Stella Parks’ eggless chocolate frosting because I’d been curious to try it for a while. I made a half batch, and honestly still too much, because once I make frosting I don’t actually have interest in consuming it. I just like testing interesting ones in the event I might want to actually frost a cake.
I wasn’t wild about the finished frosting. For one thing, it has a very cooked flavor to me. Another is that there is a bitter edge from the cocoa, but overall it’s not a frosting that really tastes chocolatey. It has a barely perceptible chocolate flavor to me. I really did feel it actually would do with a little more sugar to balance out the flavor.

I didn’t want to fuss too much just to test it on a cake, so I made a hot milk sponge. It’s simple, cheap to make, and as I prefer to combine chocolate with vanilla, would give me my ideal flavor combo.

The cake greatly improved the frosting, but I still wouldn’t make this again because there are other chocolate frostings I like much more.

On the hot milk sponge front, this one is pretty good, but Alice Medrich’s hot milk sponge continues to reign supreme. It’s just better than any other I’ve tried. It’s more flavorful and moist, and just delicious.

6 Likes

I made 2 apple jam and nut (almond & cashew) snack cakes for my friends whom I’m staying with. After over 3 months on and off staying with them, I made them because I both wanted to use up as many ingredients I had in their kitchen as well as to thank them for their extreme graciousness in putting me up (as well as “putting up with me” :joy:) for so long.

The sweetness in the cake comes from the apple jam I used and from whatever sugar/sweeteners are already in the Japanese pancake mix I used for the batter. And as I’ve written before, these friends have a tiny kitchen with hardly any equipment as they really don’t cook very much at all. Hence this cake and the others I’ve made for them were baked in a traditional toaster oven. Considering that fact, they all came out very well.

I’ll miss doing things for these friends and especially miss taking care of their 2 dogs, Amber and Chai.

:pray::bowing_man::pray:

13 Likes

I believe it is this one:

2 Likes

I also made Dorie Greenspan’s maple cornmeal drop biscuits to try out some blueberry and yogurt whipped cream. I have yogurt powder that I hadn’t used, intended precisely for whipped cream, and I don’t use freeze-dried blueberry powder nearly as much as strawberry or raspberry. In general I don’t love blueberries that much because they’re usually sweet without the acidity that I enjoy in most other berries.
The blueberry whipped cream (I used my immersion blender rather than food processor since it produces the same thick, dense, and stable whipped cream) even with some yogurt powder tasted sweeter than other versions. I added more yogurt powder, a pinch of salt, and some citric acid to balance it out and that worked really well. Also adding the acid is fun since it immediately makes the color go towards pink.

The biscuits I made with the more finely ground corn flour instead of cornmeal and bread flour in place of AP since my AP isn’t suitable. This allowed me to cut them out into tiny rounds. I only made half a recipe btw.
The biscuits are pretty good, but not standout, so I wouldn’t make again. They are nice with the whipped cream, though.

7 Likes

Thank you! I wonder what the correct weight measure is for the flour? Hopefully @Aubergine will reply.

I have not seen the magazine version of this recipe, but CI/ATK uses 5 ounces or 140g for a cup of flour, generally speaking.

2 Likes

Seems like a lot of cooking/reducing to accomplish what an ermine frosting does in about 2 minutes, LOL.