What are you baking? APRIL 2023

Here’s one with icing.

It’s 9 am and I’m at the bake sale. I already had homemade fudge for breakfast (oof.)

10 Likes

Total fail yesterday in the 100% whole wheat sandwich loaf department. I can only imagine it was a scaling error, as I have gone back and triple-checked all called for ingredients and weights in the recipe (which I’ve made before). Today’s project: bread crumbs.

7 Likes

Chocolate banana stud cake from Rose’s Heavenly Cakes mostly with the goal of using some leftover dulce de leche ganache I had from that chocolate and dulce de leche cake I keep having to make.
This cake is fine, but I always find chocolate and banana works best as a combo in ice cream and similarly frozen desserts. Banana cakes with chocolate frosting I find tend to be overpowered by the chocolate, and yet here where it’s mostly chocolate with a little banana I find the banana a bit distracting. I tend to think banana works better with flavors like caramel, cinnamon, brown butter, miso.
It’s pretty tasty, but not something I would necessarily crave.
I also made her spice cake with peanut buttercream and thought the frosting was too heavy on the peanut butter flavor. The cake was fine, though not memorable and I left it unfrosted knowing the in-your-face peanut butter flavor wouldn’t appeal to most. It is a tasty frosting, but very overpowering to me.
My mom seemed to like the cake, which isn’t surprising because anything with cinnamon in it is to her liking.

9 Likes

Milk Bread take 3:

@Shellybean - Thank you for those links from txfarmer. While I haven’t changed my whole method, I DID take to heart the importance of kneading things THOROUGHLY. A full 15 min in the stand mixer at speed 2, til the dough could really pass the windowpane test.

I noticed this made working with the dough a LOT easier, hence my shaping was better, too.

I gave it a full 90 min first rise and an hour’s proof. I might go even longer next time. Flavor is outstanding and the texture is really spot on. Feathery soft but well structured.

16 Likes

The crumb looks great! I can tell it’s nice and fluffy.

2 Likes

Sandwich bread from Cannelle et Vanille Bakes Simple. This is a gluten-free loaf with brown rice flour, sorghum flour, and tapioca starch, and both flaxseed and psyllium as faux gluten. It was super easy compared to some of the other GF breads I’ve made. I’m really happy with the look and taste… haven’t done the other key tests (toasted, and grilled cheese sandwich) yet.

10 Likes

It is SO fluffy.

I kinda can’t wait for thanksgiving. These are my go to dinner rolls, and my sister in law is gonna swoon over them, esp. as I plan to paint garlic butter over one pan of them.

2 Likes

Looks fantastic!

Dark-chocolate and orange scones. I used a favorite NYT recipe as a jumping off point, eliminating the brandied fruit, and subbing the equivalent of the zest of two oranges and 120 g. of 70% dark chocolate. I made a half-batch for 6 smallish scones, finishing them with an orange glaze.

We both loved these. Flaky, not very sweet, and well balanced between the orange and the chocolate without being overwhelming of either.

I’m motivated at some point to try the original brandied fruit version with the addition of dark chocolate – it’s one of my favorite flavor combinations at the holidays and would probably work well here.

NOTE: If you make the recipe, add the salt judiciously. I use Morton Kosher, and use half the amount of salt called for in the recipe (see recipe comments).

9 Likes

Chocolate, especially dark, goes together with citrus (be it orange or lemon) just like PB and J.

:yum:

3 Likes

I was actually thinking maybe I’d make some scones today, though I hadn’t thought of exactly what kind I wanted. They finally brought in heavy cream after months without.

I checked and that should be 6 grams of salt using Diamond Crystal (generally the favored kosher salt among food publications) , which seems fine to me for 385 grams of flour. It could be as high 7 and still be ok. At minimum I’d use 4 grams, but for something like scones I like 1.5%-2% salt.
The recipe has a little less salt percentage-wise than Stella Parks’ chocolate scones.

For some reason, I don’t taste the salt in Stella Park’s chocolate scone as much as I do in the NYT scone recipe, and I’m usually a salt lover. I’ve made the NYT several times, each time shaving back the salt a bit because it jumps out at me. :woman_shrugging: :

1 Like

Lemon cake! I accidentally used a bigger loaf pan (9x5) than I should have, and so it’s a little flatter, but it tastes fantastic. Next time I’ll go with 4 lemons of zest to amp up the flavor a bit. The almond flour gave it a nice texture.

(Note, it’s gluten free but she responded to a comment saying regular AP flour would work if you don’t need it to be gluten free.)

15 Likes

hooooo man that sounds and looks right up my alley.

2 Likes

That crumb is luscious. :yum:

2 Likes

It definitely is! I’ve never had this texture without sour cream or buttermilk - maybe it was due to the reverse creaming?

1 Like

I made coffee and dark chocolate cookies. They’re really good, not too sweet and they have a lovely texture inside. And the great thing is, my partner doesn’t like coffee desserts so it’s all mine!

12 Likes

Curious if you have tried baking with eikhorn?
A friend who is a gf and a pastry chef converted a lot of her recipes to gf using eikhorn. She owned a French restaurant so she made gf options to most of their menu items.
https://www.einkorn.com/is-einkorn-flour-gluten-free/

“Edna’s Lemon Curd Cake”, in this case it’s Tangerine Curd. A simple cake, very much in the style of a Gâteau Basque, it’s a cross between pastry and cake. The dough is divided in half, half pressed into the mold, followed by the curd and then dollops of the remaining dough are placed on the curd…and a very sticky dough it is! This was to be baked in an 8” pan, I used a 7” as I felt one cup of flour for the pastry dough would not be sufficient. DH pronounced it “delicious” and I concur . The tart curd plays well with the sweet dough, the tangerine sorbet was a lovely contrast and a scoop of sour cream was a
must for us. Next time I will divide it 60/40 as the base could use a wee bit more pastry.

15 Likes

Mother’s Day dessert dilemma solved!