What are you baking? APRIL 2023

It doesn’t need refrigeration?

I mean, ideally, but it was totally fine.

Coconut meringue cake from The Cake Book. This is WONDERFUL! It’s two rounds of coconut dacquoise filled with whipped white chocolate ganache spiked with rum, and glazed with bittersweet ganache.
I made a few changes. First, I increased the salt in the dacquoise to 1/4 tsp.

For the ganache, the book’s version is a straight ganache that is chilled and whipped, but I worried that would be too sweet, so I made a ganache montée instead, which contains more cream. I used 130 g white chocolate, 90 g cream to make the ganache, then added another 210 grams of cream and chilled overnight. I added a few pinches of salt to this.
Today I day I added rum and whipped.

I used 57% chocolate for the glaze. Those who like more bitter chocolate can get away with using a higher percentage.
This comes together pretty fast because the dacquoise is baked at 350 rather than low temperature. They only take about 20-25 minutes. It is so delicious with just the right level of sweetness. It’s crunchy, chewy, and refreshing.

It must be sawed with a serrated knife to slice. My first slice I did with a regular knife and it was a bit of a mess. Of course, that’s also because it really could use a little more time chilling so the layers soften more, but I was impatient to taste it.:laughing:
I’m looking forward to making this again and tidying it up!

14 Likes

Blackberry upside down cake from the Gourmet Today cookbook. Am always trying to use up buttermilk, and had some blackberries too so here we are. Very tender and tasty when warm.

12 Likes

Just returned from my first trip to the US since November 2019: not sure if I was more excited by my trip to Target or Trader Joe’s! Got back and realized it’s another friend’s birthday at the end of the week. Made these cookies https://www.hersheyland.ca/en_ca/recipes/sea-salt-caramel-chip-chocolate-cookies-recipe.html
recipe from the back of the bag?

8 Likes

Where do you live?

Toronto!

First rhubarb bake of the season is in the oven. I’m excited!

Today at the co-op here in Brooklyn, I was working checkout, and I checked out a man who bought at least eight pounds of rhubarb (ironically, it was from south-central PA, my other stomping grounds.) When I asked him what he was doing with it, he said “Pie!” I thought to myself, that’s gonna be quite a pie.

11 Likes

Last week I discovered that our landscaper had pulled out and discarded my 7 year old rhubarb plant that was on the kitchen side of the house.:weary:! I have another, younger one on the other side of the house that they managed to miss.

How terrible! Condolences!

4 Likes

Murdering 7 year old rhubarb!?! That’s a hanging offense.

4 Likes

I considered something less lethal but certainly painful! They have also uprooted my horseradish twice…that was recoverable but set the plants back severely.

A great sorrow! Headed to Farmers Mkt. tomorrow and hopefully they well have some.

1 Like

Time to find new gardeners.

1 Like

The owner is a prince and we have had them for a long time. The problem is at spring clean up time, he brings in a large crew and they are just not knowledgeable about unusual plantings.

OMG I would freak! So sorry to hear this!

1 Like

I was highly distressed when I discovered it was gone…to put it mildly!

1 Like

But that’s not your responsibility! Let the boss know!

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. Rhubarb is so precious in my garden.

1 Like

I was able to get some at FM this morning but they are early and very slender, but I was happy they had some.

1 Like