What are you baking? APRIL 2023

How terrible! Condolences!

4 Likes

Murdering 7 year old rhubarb!?! That’s a hanging offense.

4 Likes

I considered something less lethal but certainly painful! They have also uprooted my horseradish twice…that was recoverable but set the plants back severely.

A great sorrow! Headed to Farmers Mkt. tomorrow and hopefully they well have some.

1 Like

Time to find new gardeners.

1 Like

The owner is a prince and we have had them for a long time. The problem is at spring clean up time, he brings in a large crew and they are just not knowledgeable about unusual plantings.

OMG I would freak! So sorry to hear this!

1 Like

I was highly distressed when I discovered it was gone…to put it mildly!

1 Like

But that’s not your responsibility! Let the boss know!

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. Rhubarb is so precious in my garden.

1 Like

I was able to get some at FM this morning but they are early and very slender, but I was happy they had some.

1 Like

Milk Bread from Pastry Love. I used all milk instead of heavy cream. A loaf for me and one for my mother.

11 Likes

And to drown my sorrows :joy:, I made a berry/cream cake. The cake was made in a recessed mold, a/k/a a Marry Ann mold. The indentation was filled with strawberry whipped cream and topped with berries. Vanilla bean gelato was on the side. This is a small, seven inch mold, so the servings were four slices which worked well for us.

11 Likes

Ooooo. Fluffy.

Oh I have one of these pans, havent used it in ages. I use to make a strawberry flan but lost the recipe. I just googled mary ann pan and so many recipes came up. Thanks.

I forgot I had it! I had two others but the tin was no longer viable on them. This held two cups liquid, I used half of the 3 cup Nordic Ware Vanilla pound cake recipe and it was the perfect amount. It turned out very tender and cooked in under 15 minutes.

2 Likes

A version of bienenstich I wanted to try out. Delicious, though I don’t know if it beats out other versions I’ve made. I want to taste it after a day or two in the fridge because what made me curious was the use of applesauce in the dough which is said to keep the dough fresher even after refrigeration.

12 Likes

Rhubarb custard bars.

I won’t get a good photo today, but I wanted to post about these now, and in any case they look pretty much exactly like they do on the link.

I had some very rosy rhubarb and wanted to make something new. I’ve made tons of cake with rhubarb in it (Bundt cakes, upside-down rhubarb cakes, etc) as well as rhubarb ice cream, rhubarb jam, rhubarb pie and rhubarb shrub, so I was on the hunt for something I hadn’t had before. “Taste of Home” isn’t a source I use a lot, but there were a lot of very enthusiastic reviews, and I need to up my custard game, so I thought I’d give it a go.

I loved the unfrosted bars (shortbread + rhubarb custard filling) so much I ate a couple squares right out the pan last night before I even made the frosting.

The frosting was something new to me: a cream-cheese frosting where you fold in cream you’ve just whipped (recipe doesn’t say how stiff, so I did soft peaks.) The problem is that the textures of the two elements are so different that they don’t really meld, but it’s cream cheese frosting enriched with cream so it’s not as if it tastes bad :).

I noticed there was zero salt in the recipe, and thanks to @Shellybean I knew this had to be remedied. I added a pinch of salt to the shortbread dough, another to the custard and a tiny bit more to the cream cheese frosting.

I really like these, but I’m not going to lie, all three elements together are very sweet. I made half a recipe, enough for an 8" square pan, and if I don’t find someone to give some of these to I’ll be in big trouble.

I’m also curious to see how the frosting changes after a day or two. A bit worried about texture…I suspect these might be the kind of thing you take to an event where they’ll all get eaten, vs. having a pound cake on the counter you can slice at for a week, but for now, these are great.

7 Likes

i already want to scrape the frosting off, toss it, and just keep the bars.

2 Likes

Hey, it’s a new month, so here’s your May thread.

1 Like