What are you baking? April 2022

those look SO GOOD. I love that book, although all the baking times are too long.

1 Like

I made these once before because I had a ton of different dried fruit hanging around, and I also liked them a lot. I didn’t glaze them, and personally didn’t think they needed it, despite what she says in the headnote. I froze half I balked, and baking from frozen worked well.

1 Like

I know, I think her baking time for this recipe is something like 40 minutes, which is ridiculous.

1 Like

Oh great - good to know about baking from frozen. I was reluctant to make a full batch the first go around without knowing if we liked them, so have none leftover to freeze. :frowning:

Will definitely make a full batch next time.

Her bake time for these was 45-50 minutes, but then hers are twice as big as mine. I can’t imagine using a full 1/2-c. measure for these -they’d be huge (but probably quite marketable).

have you ever been to her bakeries @MunchkinRedux ? The baked goods are ENORMOUS. I made the blueberry scones from Pastry Love but made them half the size as you did here. Excellent.

have you ever been to her bakeries?

I haven’t. I can only imagine!

1 Like

This is Bon Appetit’s lemon poppy-seed scone. I baked them in a mini-scone pan, which wasn’t quite big enough for the recipe. I used all the dough, but the scones ran together slightly, and I had to separate them with a knife.

I subbed cream for the milk, and after reading reviews added 2 t. lemon extract. I passed on grating any lemon zest, which would have made them (and the glaze) prettier, and used lemon oil instead.

I did not use a food processor, but whisked together the dry ingredients, grated in butter, and added the wet. A few folds around the bowl with a dough scraper and a little extra cream were enough to bring everything together. I finished the scones by brushing with more cream and sprinkling with granulated sugar before baking. The bulk of these are going into the freezer (baked), but the sample scones were glazed after baking with a simple lemon glaze.

This is a tender scone, and I think they would be more to my liking if baked individually, and not in a pan. I made these with DH in mind, however, and since he loves how these turned out, I consider it a win. We both agreed the additional lemon extract was needed.

I took a day off today (from retirement – lol!), and am having an all-out scone-a-palooza. Next up is Joanne Chang’s maple and blueberry scone. That dough will go straight into the freezer (wet), so I won’t actually bake those for a day or two.

15 Likes

These look delicious. There used to be a European bakery in my town with lemon poppy seed scones I absolutely loved.

1 Like

I think I used a 1/3 cup measure and still got nearly 16. (I wish I’d had the mental wherewithal to save all those Chowhound BCOTQ threads.) Did you use the candied ginger? I loved the pops of ginger, and likely even increased the amount, but then, I love all things ginger.

I didn’t use the candied ginger, as what I have around currently is pretty stale.

I had to restrain myself on the fruit. I didn’t want to muddy the flavors too much, so used only three types. I typically keep scads of quality dried fruit around, however, and can see lots of variations in the future.

Extremely enticing.

Bar style pizza. One with broccoli and shallot, all the others with sopressata. Both with hot honey. Next time I’ll make 10-inch pizzas because my baking steel mini can barely accommodate the 12-inch. Really happy with these. They turned out awesome!

13 Likes

Yes, as I said, I was drawn to the recipe because I had a lot around, but I also just chose a few I thought would marry well.

1 Like

Small batch chocolate cupcakes…when 6 is enough. A simple six ingredient recipe that I had scribbled down from I know not where. Quick to put together ,and exceeded my expectations. And as many chocolate recipes go, better on the second day. I might up the cocoa next time. I forgot to add that I had put an Amarena cherry in the center of the cupcake.

16 Likes

I made these bacon and cheese scones and they’re ok, but not worth making again.

They’re too rich. There’s no need to load up a scone with this much butter when you’ve got so much bacon and cheese in them. Stella Parks’ ham and cheese scones are much better with significantly less butter.
I also thought they called for too much buttermilk. The dough was not loose, but I thought at 1 or 1 1/4 cup that there was enough. They spread a fair amount between the butter content and buttermilk.

I rolled my eyes at calling for full fat buttermilk btw. :joy:
Also dislike calling for 10 slices of bacon. If you can give a weight for the cheese, you can do it for the bacon. I had 8 slices left and that was plenty.
A final pet peeve is the use of “flaky” as a descriptor as soon as a scone or biscuit recipe is presented, which I see a lot. They’re very tender, but this isn’t a recipe that produces flakes. Scones typically aren’t flaky the way biscuits are.

6 Likes

7 Likes

Thank you for reviewing the Leite’s Culinaria recipe.

I don’t know if you’ve tried the King Arthur recipe for bacon-cheddar scones. We love it, and it seems to call for less butter, bacon and cheese, proportionally (and gives quantities by weight). It does call for cream (instead of buttermilk), but no egg.

3 Likes

Thanks for the rec. The KA ones are very similar to Stella’s, which are my usual meat and cheese scones and I often switch up the ham with whatever I have on hand.
I mostly made these for the buttermilk because I happened to have a fair amount of kefir and didn’t feel like using it in anything sweet (though I am going to make some donut muffins with the rest) nor another loaf of soda bread.
Oh yeah, I also missed the scallions/chives I typically put in, but I thought I’d try the recipe as written.

1 Like

The cherry in the middle is an amazing idea. I don’t make a lot of cupcakes, but I might need to try this :slight_smile: They’re very pretty, too.

1 Like