What are you baking? April 2022

I have a lot of dates, so decided to make sticky toffee pudding. I used a recipe on Recipe Tin Eats because I was curious about her rather low sugar amount. One of my issues with any baked goods made with dates is that recipe writers pile on the sugar in spite of dates being incredibly sweet so I tend to find almost anything with dates cloying. Still, her sugar amount of only 40 g was far less than you’d see for this dessert. Other sticky toffee pudding recipes tend to have a sugar amount equal to the flour or just shy of it. The cake turns out nice and light following her recipe. I added around 1/2 tsp salt to it.

The sauce struck me as being very light in color. The only brown sugar sold here is even lighter than American light brown sugar and the molasses are a foul concoction that tastes more bitter than American blackstrap molasses so I don’t keep any. I had put in 1/4 tsp of salt into the sauce knowing I’d likely need another 1/4 tsp. I decided to toss 1/4 tsp mushroom soy into the sauce. It is very dark and will instantly transform the color while not being perceptible in such a small amount. It worked to produce a more appealing color and I certainly can’t taste it. I still added a few pinches of salt to the sauce to balance out the sweetness.

My impression of this cake is that she likes a lot of sauce and the sauce is a big part of sweetening. From my standpoint, I’d sweeten the cake a bit more and use less sauce. I’d also bake this in a larger pan. The cake is quite tall baked in an 8-inch and a larger pan means you get more exposed surface area for the sauce.

6 Likes

Inspired by stef-bakes (up thread) French Riviera lemon tart, I made one as well with some deviations. Firstly, we thoroughly enjoyed the crust, crisp but tender, no cracking at all. I made mine in the FP and then split it in half. Rolled it out to a 4” disk and then refrigerated for a bit. This rolled out very nicely and I had no difficulty placing it in a 6” tart mold. The crust was similar to a pâté sucrée. I would make it again. Next, the curd, in this case, a calamansi curd which I had made earlier in the morning and then decided that it would be a good candidate for the tart…and it was! The assorted berries and a dollop of sour cream were complementary to the tart. And the best part, I have another 6” tart crust in the freezer…win win!

15 Likes

Greek Easter bread for today’s Orthodox Easter dinner. We’re having 3 couples over, so a loaf for each to take home, and one to slice at the table.

19 Likes

How lovely and how thoughtful!

2 Likes

Thanks! Some Greek pastries are coming made by my niece! - will try to take & post pics later.

2 Likes

Its beautiful and a wonderful idea to use the fp and roll the dough.

Meringue kisses to use up leftover e

gg whites. Recipe from Heavenly Cakes. Will save some for future decorations.

7 Likes

Worked a charm…frozen butter, pulse chopped the butter until finely dispersed, then added yolk mixed with oil.

1 Like

Tasting it cold, I like it even better. I know it’s all about warm sticky toffee, but obviously that’s not going to happen for everyone, and it’s really nice cold. The sweetness is perfect. It would be lousy without salt.
Still would bake in a larger pan. You want more sauce exposure. I also think it’s too much sauce, but of course that’s blasphemy to hardcore STP fans.

1 Like

What did you use to color the eggs?

2 Likes

It’s a special red dye we bought in Greece. It’s probably available online, or at various Greek Festivals, maybe?

1 Like

Hi Sally!

I just made these again as they are the favorite with the wonderful staff at doggy daycare plus I like the salty finish on a chocolate chip cookie.

8 Likes

My go-to: King Arthur’s caraway-rye, whole-wheat, sourdough-discard crackers.

We cold-smoked 5 steelhead trout filets a few weeks ago - with a little cream-cheese, the rye crackers go perfectly. They also go well with a little salami and mustard.

10 Likes

Woo congrats!! I just found quite a few bags of last season’s rhubarb in the freezer to use up before I see them at the farmer’s market next month…

Lucky guests!

1 Like

A side-by-side comparison bake of Cowboy Cookies. For the bar cookie, I used the back-of-the-box recipe from Quaker Oats for Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies, modified to accommodate a wider variety of inclusions. For the drop cookie, I used Laura Bush’s recipe, as adapted by Marian Burros for the New York Times.

In both recipes I swapped out about 15% of the AP flour with white whole wheat. Both versions included whole rolled oats, milk chocolate chips, sweetened coconut flakes, chopped pecans and dried, sweet Rainier cherries. I kept the total ratio of inclusions true to the recipe, although skimmed 2 T. of the granulated sugar off in both versions to offset the sweetened coconut flakes. My initial thought was to use sour cherries, but a) I had some dried Rainiers which needed using up, and b) these are primarily for DH, who likes things super saccharine (thus the milk chocolate, and not dark).

I made a half-batch of the Quaker Oat recipe, and a one-third-batch of the NY Times recipe. The result was two very nice, toothsome cookies.

The Quaker Oats recipe called for a little more flour and slightly fewer inclusions, resulting in a chewier, cakier experience. No surprise there, and I was happy with the resulting, chunky texture in an easy bar cookie. The Laura Bush version was close to out-of-this-world good. I think sour cherries and semi-sweet chocolate would put it there.

DH (a chocolate fiend) is convinced he doesn’t like dark chocolate, and it’s hard to find good milk baking chocolate. I used Guittard here, which held its form for the most part, but I’m not sure what else it added. To my palate, milk chocolate does not have the same impact in baked goods as a semi-sweet. I also find that varieties of milk chocolate which bake well without melting typically are not very good chocolate, per se. As far as fruit goes, the sweet cherries worked OK, but a tarter fruit would have had more presence. For future bakes of the bar cookie, I’ve suggested omitting the chocolate altogether in lieu of increased percentages of fruit, nuts and coconut. DH concurs. I will opt for sour cherries instead of sweet (or raisins or Craisins), and will call them NAKED COWBOY COOKIES.

11 Likes

I use the Trader Joe’s pound plus bars for chocolate - I prefer milk chocolate to other kinds and love theirs.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip! Nearest TJ’s is about 40 miles, but we do get there a couple of times a year. I’ll put it on my list.

Any favorite milk-choco cookie recipes?

Hmmmmm I feel like there’s a really good Joanne Chang one - yes! MC hazelnut! I LOVE THIS COOKIE. I’m at work, but when I get home I can check and see if I edited the recipe at all -

7 Likes

Awesome! Thanks so much! Yes, if you suggest an edit, I’m all ears.