What are the most interesting/ exotic things you ever tried/ contemplated growing?

This year, my most interesting plants ground cherries, purple tomatillos, Siam queen basil, purple Genovese basil, yellow snow peas, and lovage. I’m most excited by the ground cherries because I’ve never tasted them before.

I’m going to start molten lava amaranth, perpetual spinach (it’s actually a type of chard), and purple cauliflower seeds soon.

I’ve grown saffron before and actually had good luck with them, but I got lazy and didn’t divide the bulbs. I lost interest because the yield was expectedly tiny.

Ground cherries are delicious! They have an almost buttery undertone, with a floral/citrus main flavor. I’ve never grown them, but we have foraged them. Once with a particularly abundant crop I made a ground cherry - honey - chamomile jelly, which was quite good.

1 Like

I’m a subpar gardener and we don’t have a good spot so for the last couple of years I’ve only grown herbs. This year mini mint is the most exotic plant. It looks like a tender version of thyme, but with a pronounced minty smell. I’ve tried to grow these weird looking cucumbers and some exotic tomatoes from Seed Savers with little success.

I just planted 6 heirloom green tomato seedlings. Let’s hope there are better results this year!

1 Like

Mertensia Maritima or Oyster leaf. Like the name implies, it tastes very iodine, easily reminds the taste of oyster. I’m waiting the plant to grow to have more leaves… a plant usually find near the sea, they don’t mind growing in salty water.