Weekly Meal Planning - June, July & August 2019

Some good, some bad. Wasn’t always the best for the women in the household. Much better now. Lose something, gain something, I guess.

3 Likes

Rough weekly outline - using up leftovers from last week, then trying to get back on a mostly low carb track for a bit:

Mon - Leftovers: Carnitas and black beans on a giant paratha, coated with egg (anda paratha/baida roti hybrid).

Tues - Leftovers again (sorta-healthy mashup): Palak paneer over canned chickpeas in lieu of a straight carb.

Wed - Shrimp, avocado, and butter lettuce salad with champagne vinaigrette (jean georges).

Thurs - Probably out, otherwise Chicken tinga (freezer) in butter lettuce cups with fennel slaw.

Fri - Redo of Chicken Musakhan but my usual way (instead of last time’s bastardization), accompanied by romaine/tomato/fennel/red onion fattoush.

Sat - Probably out

Sun - TBD: Maybe whole steamed fish with some greens (possibly from a Chinatown trip…)

Happy planning and eating!

3 Likes

This sounds great. Flavors right in our wheel house. Did I find the right recipe? What do you use for truffle juice, or do you use a different recipe?

1 Like

I went shopping this week without a plan, and our garden is going gangbusters. Here’s what I have to work with. Any suggestions? Family friendly and quick are pluses.

1 Like

To start, I made a quickie minestrone in the pressure cooker…

Sorry - I totally missed this. Yes, that’s the one!

I don’t know what “juice” is, but I’ve always used either truffle oil or truffle salt to get the truffle flavor. And I never have cream so I skip that.

1 Like

"How I Flunked Meal Planning- June & July 2019.

Going to country for 5 days. Son and 6 year old grandson joining us for 2 1/2 days. Based on what we usually consume, i thought I brought enough for an army. This is day 3 and we’ve gone through 2/3 of the eggs, 3/4 of the bacon, 3/4 of the bread for toast. Getting short on coffee. Going through butter like it’s the hottest fad. Wasn’t a ton of meat last night. Even went through a ton of mashed potato. Two full days of the four of us left. I sure mis-estimated this one! If DH and I eat this sparingly on average, how come we’re not thin?

1 Like

I keep meaning to try my hand at weekly meal planning. Here’s a first go.

Monday (today): coho salmon was on sale at Whole Foods so we grilled the salmon and are about to eat it Korean style, wrapped in lettuce (ssam) with gochujang and brown rice/farro. Untraditional, but we are going to tuck in pickled cucumber into our wraps. COTC to start.

Tuesday: leftover salmon over salad and veggie chili.

Wednesday: Broccoli rabe and TJ’s veggie Italian sausage over pasta. I’ve been avoiding buying any food packaged up in plastic but I’ve been missing TJ’s veggie sausage so in a weak moment today, I bought some. It’s honestly one of our favorite dishes.

Thursday: Probably leftover chili.

Friday: Maybe grilled pizza - mushroom/chili /béchamel/arugula? Or a lemon and tomato tart? Either way, big salads to start as always.

1 Like

I will have to check out that veggie sausage! Sounds good.

1 Like

Home again with a spot of normalcy ie no guests for what feels like the first time this summer.

Meals for a few days will be simple things I’ve missed, punctuated by eggs. Plus meals out catching up with friends. Jetlag may turn meals wonky, but that’s par for the course.

Bought a gorgeous striped bass at WF yesterday that’s been divided up bone-in, so I’m excited for a few steamed fish dishes. And some gorgeous mushrooms. Rest is tentative, and will depend on what produce looks good a la minute.

Sat -Steamed fish chinese-style with ginger and soy. Green veg tbd - broccoli or bok choy.

Sun - Herb and spinach kuku - good for snacking too. Possibly a new batch of adjika to accompany (not usual, just how I ate it first and loved it).

Mon - Sautéed wild oyster and king oyster mushrooms with eggs (either chawanmushi or an omelette).

Tues - Summer tomato and gigantes bean salad.

Wed - Fish (Probably pan-fried) with larb dressing (copycat of something I ate). Lettuce and herbs to wrap.

Thurs - Deviled eggs with assorted roasted veg.

Fri - Fish steamed or baked in parchment with green chutney (patra ni macchi). Cauliflower rice?

Sat, Sun - TBD - should be settled in enough for a regular grocery shop - maybe a Chinatown trip for interesting vegetables.

3 Likes

This week’s meals:

Tonight: hamburger Stroganoff over ww rotini with fresh oyster mushrooms, side of green salad.

Tue: fish and chips (curly/sweet potato, likely both), buttered peas with mint - everything but the herb from frozen. I have an afternoon meeting and a kid who refuses to nap, so it’s lucky we’re getting fed at all

Wed: hot dogs and beer at a ball game

Thurs: leftover beef stew, with rice this time. Green salad.
Tue and Thurs. might get swapped.

Fri: out with friends

Sat: either chicken or lamb burgers with baked beans, or frozen taco/“fajita” pizza + salad

Sun: chicken katsu and Japanese curry

That’s as far as I’ve gotten.

Tasty week!

While I try not to buy frozen sweet potato fries because I have no self control where they are concerned, technically they were my first meal back… from the hot bar at WF while I shopped for groceries :rofl:

1 Like

I spoke too soon about normalcy… have yet to eat dinner at home since making my weekly plan.

More visiting friends, catch-ups, and soon, family back in town for almost a week with a full roster of meals out.

One day soon… I will cook again…

OK, here’s what we’ve got going this week:

-Meera Sodha’s worker’s curry from Made in India w/cauli-jasmine rice and yogurt
-Fresh fetucinni with salmon, peas, and herbs in creamy brown butter sauce, green salad
-grilled Greek pork loin “ribs” over freekeh with tzatziki and chili relish
-Andrea Nguyen’s Viet-Chinese stir fry with shrimp and asparagus and cauli-jasmine rice
-fish tacos in corn-wheat tortillas with fennel slaw, avocado, and Cuban black bean soup with plantain chips
-cumin-jalapeno lamb burgers, maybe with Chinese chive pockets (from frozen) and smacked cucumbers
-chicken tender tikka masala, maybe w/homemade naan? Is this doable with a hot cast iron skillet?

Apparently it is a thing! https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/homemade-naan.html

Definitely doable. Also with an inverted wok or pot.
Converting the skillet makes the naan softer iirc.
Also very effective - grill it it’s already going, or pizza stone / CI skillet in oven.

Have you ever tried chapati / paratha?

1 Like

Struggling to get back my mojo and rhythm both.

So far, and ideas for a few days:

• Mixed lentils and beans (prepared frozen) lightly dressed, with tomatoes, and an ear of corn alongside

• Spanish night 1 - blistered shishitos, sautéed chorizo, pan con tomate

• Spanish night 2 - gambas al ajillo, tortilla, more blistered shishitos and pan con tomate

• Broccoli and potato cakes / tortilla (IKEA-ish copycat)

• Steamed chicken with black mushrooms

• Baked fish with green chutney

• Korean beef and tofu patties (using Beyond Meat)

Vegetables on hand and for sides are baby broccoli, cauliflower, beets, and corn.

1 Like

No, but I should!

Covering

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Weekly Meal Planning - Sept, Oct & Nov 2019