Vegetable Gardening in NYS/CT-- Pointers for a Beginner?

I looked it up and yes it is cabbage worms. The soapy water mixture seems to be working but I think one of the four may be beyond saving. We’ll see.

If too much water is draining you may want to block up some of the holes, if possible. Tomatoes need lots of water and too much drainage means you have to really be on top of things.

Thanks, JMF. At this point, the pots are way to heavy to move so I have to go with it. What do I need to do to “be on top” of things? The soil seems nicely wet, even with water in the saucer. Thanks!

They need water to a certain point. Too much as the fruit is ripening and it leads to cracking. Good drainage is important, they don’t like wet feet. Even moisture is your elusive goal.

I think I may pull up my kale (what’s left of it) and plant some other stuff in its squares. It doesn’t seem to be recovering (except for one plant) and nothing else seems plagued by insects or other critters. This is all definitely a learning experience…

[/quote]
Thanks, JMF. At this point, the pots are way to heavy to move so I have to go with it. What do I need to do to “be on top” of things? The soil seems nicely wet, even with water in the saucer. Thanks!
[/quote]

I mean that with a lot of drainage you need to make sure the containers don’t dry out, and don’t over water. Check the containers soil, if it looks wet, don’t water. If it looks dry, stick your finger into the dirt and if it is dry more than an inch or two deep, then water. If leaves are wilting on a hot day, water well, but only the soil, not the leaves or they can burn. Early morning or evening watering is usually best.

You may want to do a little research on companion planting, and on herbs to plant to repel pests. There’s lots of info on it.

Thanks. So far, so good. Except for,the lack of tomato flowers!!

My first pea harvest, still not sure exactly what type but they sure are prolific! I just stir fried them with a few mushrooms in a ginger kind of sauce. Nice snack :wink:

1 Like

Hi JMF - I have recently heard about Epsom salts for potted tomatoes to help them flower. Do you know anything about this? I give them tomato tone.

Thanks!!!

Blossom drop is usually caused by too-cool weather. Now that the heat has hit they should start flowering. Mine are and some are set and small fruit are forming.

I’ve heard of using epsom salts. I haven’t used them myself. You just need to add a pinch on the soil, and/or or a small amount dissolved in water and sprayed on the leaves. I’m going to try it for the first time this week.

I fertilize heavy with fish emulsion during the heavy growth phase, and then cut back during the flowering phase and use a more balanced fertilizer. Which means I have to go get some more balanced fertilizer. The fish emulsion is 5-1-1, which isn’t perfect for tomatoes. But it works for me in my containers for growth.

Large amounts of Nitrogen are great for growth, but can prevent flowers and fruit; or much lower production, or to drop flowers and fruit. Best is a 10-10-10 or a 2-3-1. That means the amount of Nitrogen-Phosphorus-Potassium in a fertilizer. For tomatoes it is better to either have it balanced as in 10-10-10, or lower on the Nitrogen as in 2-3-1, 5-10-5, or 5-10-10 during the flowering phase.

Are your plants determinate or indeterminate? "Determinate tomato plants stop growing at a certain size. They tend to set and produce all their fruit at once over a 2 to 3 week period. An indeterminate tomato plant will keep on growing and producing fruit until it is killed by frost. These plants get quite large and will need some kind of support. "

I have no idea! How would I find out? I have a beefsteak, a plum and a german heirloom. Thanks for the info. I am starting to see more flower “buds” - hopefully they will turn into something!!! They really do like this weather. My husband does not but I’m more worried about the tomatoes!!! Let me know how the epsom salt thing goes! I have some that is very old, so I’ll get some fresh and try it. Thanks again!!

Use the old epsom salt. It’s not like it goes bad.

Google the names of your plants and you can find out which they are.

Thanks!!! My big boy beef and old german are indeterinate. My plum regal is determinate.

Anyone have ripe tomatoes yet, other than cherry tomatoes?

No, not mine. They are only half grown in size so far.

Also all my cherries died. Produced a hundred or so small, sour fruit, then turned brown and died. Never had any plant do that before. Literally first plants in my life to just up and die on me.

My hot peppers are growing fantastic this year. Even super hots are producing a month ahead of schedule. And my cayenne’s that over wintered are producing huge peppers, literally almost double the size of last year.

Amazingly I am starting to pick a half dozen every few days…mostly the Big Boys so far. It’s got to be the horse manure :wink: Still haven’t really gotten around to the Miracle Grow…I am on eastern Long Island though so that might be why; the weather has been so erratic this season though

Was going to make fried green tomato with that one, I found it on the ground; but it started turning red overnight.

So I finally had 1 beef tomato turn red that was not rotten. It just had one bad spot on the bottom that I cut out. It was delicious. What a tease! Some of my plums look like they may turn and a couple of the heirlooms are dark green - but it’s only going to be in the 70s later this week so who knows. Those darn hornworms ate so many leaves that a lot of the many tomato flowers I had burned. What a lousy tomato year!

1 Like

My garden is becoming overrun with squash of every type. Most of which I didn’t even plant, must be from the compost, since half of it is ornamental.

The peppers, the eggplants, even the basil are nothing to brag about. Tomatoes decent although I don’t know exactly why: But my dream of offering the extra ones to people is finally coming true :wink: Only took 7 years to get to that point!

1 Like

I have had a mixed bag - my herbs, especially basil, were FABULOUS this year. I just harvested over a pound of Thai basil and it’s still producing. The thyme and oregano are threatening to take over. My mints were not doing well at all until I put them in larger pots, and now they look great. The original pots were only about 6" deep and I’m sure that was the problem. My rhubarb (in its first year!) is so huge that I’m going to have to relocate it. My garlic harvest was so-so, but I think I got enough good heads for a larger planting this fall. The scapes were very good, at least!

As for the not so great, I have a gooseberry that hasn’t grown an inch. My peppers are just now starting to get fruits (I think this was my fault for planting too late and not fertilizing properly). My early pumpkin flowers were decimated by squirrels - now that I have sprayed with hot pepper spray, I’m getting some good ones, but I doubt the pumpkins will be ready for Halloween. None of my berries produced fruit, but that was expected since they are all first year plants. It has been a fun first year learning experience.

We are going to be building a large bed (about 35’x4’) this fall so I will have a LOT more space for edibles next year. I will definitely try tomatoes, green beans, maybe some small heirloom watermelons, leeks and more varieties of hot pepper.

2 Likes