Vegetable Gardening in NYS/CT-- Pointers for a Beginner?

What’s the point of dreaming small, after all, Coll? :wink:

Just allowing a little room for error, mainly. But with my horse manure overload this year, I am hoping for a bumper crop.

1 Like

I hope that manure is well aged! Good luck with your crop–keep us posted.

A friend’s daughter dropped it off last fall, but I was worried about that. I covered it with leaves all winter and rototilled in the spring, but it didn’t totally decompose…however, everything I put in so far (like peas and rhubarb) is going wild. So far, I think it’s a success.

2 Likes

If it aged for a year it should be good. Just didn’t want hot manure to burn the plants. Glad it’s going well so far.

I’ll report back after I plant the tomatoes. I was told a few months for the manure, and it’s been 10 months, so I’m hoping I’m OK.

1 Like

This is my latest issue, but so far all is well. I’ll take some photos in the next day or so, everything is going wild, or at least a lot more prolific than usual.

Meanwhile, so far, those peas are all mine! Got that fencing up just in time.

7 Likes

Oh, boy! Those can be a problem. Hope they leave your garden alone!!

They’ve moved on to greener pastures. They’re only babies anyway, they have a lot to learn about what to nibble on with no repercussions.

You must be vigilant about deer, rabbits and other vermin.

Maybe someone can help me on this one - my basil plant, which was really beautiful, suddenly has black on some of the leaves and some of he lower leaves have rotted. Any ideas? Thanks!

I have such bad luck with basil myself. Maybe overwatered? This year I put it in the actual garden rather than in pots on the porch, curious to see how it progresses.

My basil hasn’t been looking great either. Or my parsley for that matter. I wonder if the overabundance of rain has something to do with it?

Yeah, I think the lack of sun and too much rain last week are the culprit. I’m hoping our current hot sunny weather will perk my basil back up.

1 Like

That’s what I thought…oy. It was the best basil I’ve had in years!

This cold, wet, Spring/ early Summer have almost killed off my chile peppers. They have only grown 2-3". They are also trying to flower and I have to keep stripping the blossoms so they will keep growing. The overwintered chile’s actually have some 4-6" cayennes growing that somehow slipped by.

Tomato plants are doing fine, around 4’ tall and thriving, and I’m having to snip their blossoms as well. Will let them go to fruit starting now.

My tomato plant has about four flowers on it. Is that ok at this point, do you think?

I didn’t know about snipping blossoms. I have about 3 on my beefsteak. Planted it last week. Should I snip?

Yeah, none of my chiles are doing anything. They just look a little bit yellowish and sad. I’m hoping the upcoming heat wave helps them out.

Snipping blossoms: Once the plant starts producing fruit it slows down on growth quite a bit. So until your plant hits about 2/3 of the full size you want, you should snip the blossoms. Also, if your plant gets too big you should cut it back to a manageable size. It will produce more fruit instead of growing taller.

2 Likes