URGENT: Your favorite / go-to banana bread (or cake or muffin) recipe please!

As for muffins, since I am particular about pumpkin spice overload, I posted my sisters monster pumpkin muffins during Halloween discussions. She uses a 6 capacity muffin tin. These are moist, spiced well and have a nice domed rise. Often mistaken for bakery bought because they look so nice out of the tin…but its the flavor and texture that really stands out. I haven’t baked them myself and my sib never uses a smaller muffin tin. They taste great. Yes, they are on the sweeter side.

pumpkin muffins-origin unknown

1 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon mace
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1/3 cup water

Preheat oven to 350°. Butter and flour a 6-cup jumbo muffin pan.
Into a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt, mace, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon.
In another bowl beat together the eggs, oil, pumpkin puree and water. Add to the flour mixture and beat until the batter is combined. Divide batter into the prepared muffin cups.
Bake in center of preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Let the muffins cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes before turning out.

2 Likes

Not to down anyone else’s recipes here, but I decided to go with your suggestion of Aunt Holly’s banana bread. It said 3-4 bananas. I used 4. Didn’t specify what size loaf pan but I only have 8” x 4” so that’s what I used. Took a full 60 mins. Turned out so flavorful and moist. Gets better as the days go on. Just wanted to say thank you. But no chocolate chips in mine.:blush:

2 Likes

I’m so glad it worked for you too! And you just reminded me to copy over the recipe :smile:

1 Like

Throckwood - Your ATK post recipe sounded really interesting to me. But the more I thought about I was envisioning a whole sink full of dirty pots/pans and dishes.for one loaf of banana bread. No offense intended ok. I’m sure it’s really good… I don’t have a dishwasher so I always take consideration into cleanup too.:blush:

Oh those people at ATK have a special talent for making slightly fussy recipes with lots of dishes! (And a crew who does clean up for them)
Glad you loved the recipe you made :))

3 Likes

In the oven now. The batter is noticeably creamier than other recipes I’ve tried. I didn’t use any nuts but the bananas I had really were black! Thxs for posting. I forgot we own a digital copy of this Flour cookbook! Your post reminded me.

2 Likes

Very pleased.

6 Likes

I never chimed in previously on this thread…my go-to is Smitten Kitchen’s Jacked-Up. But I jack it up even more with nut mix, dried cranberries, chocolate chips. It’s one of Spring Onion’s favorite breakfasts (and he needs the fat…he’s so damned skinny).

1 Like

The Flour recipe is now my go to - extreme flavor and deliciousness. I add pecans to it usually.

1 Like

This banana bread is really delicious. Buying bananas just to bake it again.

2 Likes

Yes, and I also like the fact it’s made with oil rather than butter, since it makes it easier to then justify buttering a slice. Not that it needs it though…

1 Like

I will also sometimes make an oil -ased quickbread or muffin specifically because I want to spread butter (or leftover buttercream) on it and don’t want butter on butter.

@Rooster, there’s another somewhat similar recipe that you can try if you get bored of the Flour recipe from Violet Bakery. I would omit the banana on top like this baker does.

2 Likes

Thank you. i will read through the link.

We’ve enjoyed slices with creme fraiche and just naked. It’s that step of whipping air into the sugar/eggs for 8 mins and adding a touch of (in our case creme fraiche) then the oil that made the difference for us. Plus 3 super ripe bananas.
Moist and super flavorful.

1 Like

Yes, i always make sure to use black bananas (or almost) for the Flour recipe. This is making me crave it now, but no bananas! The creme fraiche addition or on top sounds good too!

My first Smitten Kitchen adventure was her pear cake years ago,

I’ve made it with grated fresh pears and again for the first time in along time using my homemade pear sauce. Delicious weekend brunch fare.

2 Likes

Looks great!

@rooster I’d be curious to know what you think of the 1-bowl recipe I linked upthread vs the Flour one, if you’re up for a compare-and-contrast bake-off experiment on your next try!

1 Like

If choc chips aren’t mandatory. I’ve come to realize I like to leave out “options” like nuts, choc, dried fruit if they aren’t primary.

1 Like

Haven’t tried Jake Cohen’s upside down banana bread yet. It uses 2 bananas in the topping and 3 in the batter.

Jake Cohen shared a post on Instagram: "One last upside down banana bread today on special request from my mother for her birthday with the specific modifications of adding chopped walnuts and a chocolate-hazelnut swirl! She knows what she wants and...

3 Likes

I made a 3/4 recipe of Smitten’s Ultimate in a 9 inch square, with toasted pecans and chocolate chips.

3 Likes