Upward trend in tips?

How about 5% in this case to please everyone (or nobody)?! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

For people who grew up on the US it goes beyond habit. We are trained from birth that to not tip in the restaurant industry is one of the most horrible offenses and even worse than not tipping is just leaving some random change, which is supposed to be an insult to the server signaling “yes I knew I was supposed to tip but you were so horrible I’m leaving some random change so you clearly know how awful I thought you were”.

That is a hard social norm to break. And many US travelers are already traveling with the “don’t be an ugly American” pressure in the back of their minds. So emotionally it just seems easier to tip, who would complain about more money? (though in some regions an over tip can seem insulting too).

Having traveled a lot, I’m much better in countries I’m very familiar with but a new country I always feel the pressure and uncertainty return.

3 Likes

Here’s a perfect example of when a government is at the end of a leash controlled by business and the uber-rich, instead of the citizenry. Very poorly written, but you should get the gist…

1 Like

Just a note, @Harters, that in the U.S. “illegals” is a heavily loaded, derogatory term championed by FOX News and the far right/nationalists. A more neutral or polite phrasing here is “undocumented” - just mentioning in case the context was different where you are.

1 Like

Thanks, Christina.

Absolutely no intention of causing offence and, yes, the usage is different in the UK. I would generally use it to describe people who had arrived here, say, in the back of a truck, often organised by people traffickers, then disappearing into the black economy. It would distinguish them from others who are not here with complete legality - such as those who have overstayed their visa (biggest group by % being Australians apparently) or who are waiting for an asylum application to be determined and, in both examples, have also “disappeared”.

Anyone currently following the UK’s intent to leave the European Union will know that immigration is a highly charged issue.

1 Like