Unusual Regional Specialties

I’ll have to check it out next time we’re over there

We still need to have a HO down next you’re in the hood.

2 Likes

I’ll have to think about locally but on road trips I must have a cheese frenchee in Lincoln, Nebraska and Maid Rites in Iowa.

Cheese frenchee= batter dipped, deep fried grilled cheese sandwich

Maid Rite= loose meat sandwich, gotta have mustard and pickles

4 Likes

Wow that deep fried grilled cheese sounds pretty awesome!

Although definitely not unusual, a good cheese steak outside Philly seems to elude me.

The Florida keys have some good items I don’t normally find up to par elsewhere like their pinks, yellowtail, blackfin, and conch fritters. You can obviously get them in other places, but they seem to get it right and it seems the fresh flavor is always there. I like their fresh Mahi and wahoo tacos too. There is something to be said for fish that’s a few hours old.

On that topic, one from my home town is winter flounder. We pull them straight out of the river, and walk home a minute away. We fry them up in oil and butter, and seasoned bread crumbs with some parmigiano in the crumbs. No ice or sitting. It doesn’t get much better.

1 Like

I second that emotion.

There are some decent ones in Cherry Hill, Marlton, Bordentown, Trenton, and even as far north as Plainsboro.

After that, it’s pretty much crap city for cheese steaks unless you make them your self.

So fekkin good. Delishus. !!!

The spot in kw next to the aquarium is top notch! It’s the little shack outside the entrance. Most people cringe at over greasy food but these oily balls get the job done! I left myself open with that line lol :smile:

1 Like

we lived in Hannibal, MO for just a year – but it was long enough to develop a long-standing fondness for Maid-Rites – my mom still makes them once in a while.

the Tom Sawyer drive-in along the river in Hannibal was an old-timey drive-in, with the trays they hung from your driver’s side window.

A Maid-Rite and a Mississippi Mud milkshake were the must-haves.

2 Likes

I’m sure this is kinda like pulled pork or loose burger meat, but the description is something I think you have to have lived with for it not to conjur up images.

4 Likes

we always described it as a sloppy joe without the tomato sauce. Similar seasoning, but no sauce.

3 Likes

In San Francisco we have sourdough bread unlike anywhere else. In Central California we have Santa Maria barbecue, with pinquito beans. Date shakes on the way to the desert towns.

I can’t think of anything else, because our food is so good, everyone copies us. :wink:

5 Likes

You are in Norcal?

Don’t forget the Dutch Crunch bread:

Photo courtesy of Yelp.

5 Likes

Cioppino from San Francisco. Although I am not sure how unusual it is outside of the region.

1 Like

So much good food in our state. I’m in SoCal, but go up five or six times a year to visit family.

I’ve never tried crunch bread! Isn’t that crazy? Where do you get yours?

2 Likes

Date shakes also in Newport Coast.

https://yelp.to/qTKq/m63UrEyrhG

2 Likes

I’m from Philly. Cheesesteaks and Italian hoagies are a given. But also scrapple, roast pork with rabe, red sauce Italian-American (OK, NJ and NYC have a claim to that as well).

1 Like

The local safeway has dutch crunch rolls in their bakery department in monterey CA. Also see them at the local sandwich shops. It’s a nice texture to the top more than anything.

Also CA dish: shrimp or crab louie salad, somehow never really caught on elsewhere.

3 Likes

Usually sandwich joints that let you customize will have them.

2 Likes

‘Chipped Ham Barbecue’ A western PA specialty I haven’t thought of in years.

2 Likes

This is an interesting article Has anyone here heard of Cornell chicken?

1 Like

Mais certainment !