Unbridled Excellence and Deliciousness - Horses [Thoughts + Pics]

Well some of the dishes def do look better in @Chowseeker1999 's report - the sweetbreads aren’t pale and unappetizing looking for one. The photos of the burger aren’t trick photography either I’m sure that’s tasty if not destination material.

But to your point - PR seems to be such a strong thing these days in the restaurant world total pay to play or some bullshit does not seem out of the question. Coincidence when eaterla and many newspapers write a glowing review of a new ish spot at the same time ? Other spots do come to mind as well. I’ll hold my tongue.

1 Like

Thanks for the report back @attran99 . Bummer about your meal and experience. What were those squares with… olive oil(?) drizzled on top? We haven’t tried that before, but thanks for the warning.

For the other dishes, I can see your point. For us and our friends, it just hits our palate and just a delicious comfort food spectrum that makes it appealing (for us). But everyone has things they enjoy more and things they enjoy less.

Hi @chienrouge ,

There’s certainly a possibility for some restaurants to receive paid reviews; heck on our old Chowhound board quite a few veteran posters mentioned seeing press / media, and famous bloggers getting comped meals. We’ve seen it as well recently with famous publications’ writers.

But in this case, it’s more a matter of different tastes, and that’s OK. One of the most discerning food friends of mine (who travels to Japan numerous times) and enjoys fine dining, despises Shunji. But for me, Shunji’s been one of our local Sushi bar favorites for years. Look at Majordomo: Some folks adore it to death; I think it’s one of the most overrated places out there and Chef David Chang and team put out average food (with a few exceptions). I’ve had former co-workers who are genuinely happy going to Cheesecake Factory, and willing to wait 45 minutes - 1 hour on weekends to eat there. Myself? Not so much. :wink: We enjoy DeSano Pizzeria; I know some folks that will never return, thinking it’s bad pizza.

No one’s “wrong” or “right” here. People enjoy what strikes their taste buds. Cheers! :slight_smile:

I agree.

I used to drink at the Coach and Horses when it was our neighborhood bar on Sunset. I have lots of reasons to want to try Horses. Nostalgia isn’t a bad one (including the drink prices!). Our time there will come. Making reservations month(s) ahead of time is just not something I ever do, travel aside, so will probably wait a bit.

I still do doubt the journalistic integrity of certain publications but we can choose what reading to consume too and how to value it, there’s no magic there (photos are photos, albeit some seem more staged than others). The additional fact that many (including good) spots are owned by “corporate groups” and the like signals that even more to me – my take is that there is more sophisticated business in play here than comped meals. But, that’s not some kind of conspiracy dive that I’m undertaking or that worries me. I make my determinations with my taste buds, my wallet and the satisfaction of my friends and family. That’s one of the reasons why I enjoy the photos and personal recommendations on this site. I wish people and restaurants success - not failure - and am happy to see folks employed and successful even at spots that don’t tickle my fancy. I’m also happy to read about spots that I would never go to for a number of practical and impractical reasons. I’m not booking a meal with Chef Laurent or doing a buyout of Bistro LQ anytime soon (hehe) but I can enjoy your write ups of that, for one example. Gotta save my restaurant cash for sushi and the price has gone up!

The Cheesecake Factory may be the number one most popular restaurant in LA and SF. I think I saw that somewhere. Glad people are enjoying life their way.

It’s been a long (long, long) time since I’ve been to Cheesecake Factory, but if someone were to deliver me a slice of the cheesecake I wouldn’t say no either! Food for thought:

Keep up your reports @Chowseeker1999 i enjoy them.

2 Likes

Hi @chienrouge ,

Thanks, and yah given how crazy the lines are at Cheesecake Factory every time we pass by one here or there, there’s no denying its popularity. :slight_smile:

And I agree: As long as my loved ones, friends & family enjoy the food and had a great time, that’s the most important thing. And hearing from trusted folks on small food forums like this one, getting recommendations, chatting about good / bad experiences is something I appreciate as well. Thanks for all your recs. :blush:

1 Like

Personally I would trust and put more weight on any one of @Chowseeker1999 's reviews than the whole panoply of reviews done by “publications” – be in traditional print or online sources – put together.

1 Like

Yep

1 Like

We really enjoyed Horses and can’t wait to go back. It’s very much our speed. We’ll have to revisit with more people so we can get more of the menu.

• Sobrasada panino was good
  • Horses Casesar and the Steak Taratare were excellent. Well-dressed and good textures all around.
  • Cheeseburger was excellent. I’m not sure if it’s better than my favorites in NYC, but it’s a very good dish here and I’d be happy to have it anytime.
  • Petrale Sole with saffron aioli and chickpeas was very good. I think maybe there was garam masala or something spicing the chickpeas and cherry tomatoes. Saffron aioli was nice on petrale sole, which otherwise isn’t a very exciting fish - but a comforting and delicious dish nonetheless.
  • Tiramisu was good but not our favorite - it tasted quite reminiscent of oreo? I think I prefer a traditional mascarpone one instead.
  • cocktails were good. We brought a bottle of wine (weren’t too keen on their wine list) but I think cocktails may be the way to go next time.

Will try the sweetbreads, boudin basque, panzanella, and one of the pastas next time.

2 Likes

Hi @BradFord ,

Thanks for the report and really glad you liked Horses! :slight_smile:

The Horses Caesar and Steak Tartare, yes! :slight_smile: Cheeseburger, nice. I’ll have to ask you for your favorite recs in NY next time I find myself on the East Coast. Tiramisu: No worries, I think what took us by surprise and what we really liked was the surprise crunch (cocoa nib brittle) which made it that much more fun. I didn’t really get Oreo flavors, but we haven’t been back in 1.5 months, so maybe they changed the recipe?

Definitely try the Sweetbreads and Boudin Basque next time, along with the pastas. :slight_smile: Their Housemade Ice Creams have been enjoyable as well (and their Sorbet).

2 Likes

Thanks for your rundown; I’ll definitely get those! And I like your pics of the cocktails, I think cocktails will be the play next time.

The Cheeseburger is excellent; it just has some stiff competition from (my memory of) the burgers in NYC at 4 Charles Prime Rib, Pastis, and Minetta Tavern. I also quite like the burger at Peter Luger (lunch only; also, be sure to get some extra thick bacon) and Emily (Brooklyn location, although the pretzel bun is not very traditional, the whole is still pretty compelling). I definitely want to try the lunch burger at The Grill, because everything else I’ve had there has been very good to excellent over multiple visits. I hear good things about the burger at The Nines, but I’ve yet to try it.

Anyway, booking my return to Horses! Sweetbreads with capers sound like my jam. I’ll give the tiramisu another try, I don’t think it was deliberately Oreo flavored that was just my impression - admittedly a bit fuzzy since I basically killed the wine bottle myself.

2 Likes

Hi @BradFord ,

Thanks for the recs on Burgers! :slight_smile: Wow, some of those look so delicious! :slight_smile: The Gourmet Burger category definitely has some great choices. Locally, with the demise of Golden State, and a few other places that our old Chowhound board used to talk about, I’m not sure what’s great any more.

I think @ipsedixit recommended Morton’s Lunch Burger back on Chowhound, but with COVID-19, it looks like Morton’s no longer opens for lunch. :frowning: Locally, though, Horses’ Cheeseburger is pretty phenomenal for the Gourmet Burger style category. If anyone has other recs, please let me know. Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I recently had the fortune to join friends for dinner at Horses, leveraging this forum as a crucial menu guide. I can say it was good I would unequivocally go back. Definitely a “LA Scene” kind of restaurant where the ambience and clientele make a statement. Certainly some may not appreciate the food, I enjoyed the cocktails, wine, and food thoroughly and would recommend a stop especially for a fun and more elegant night out.

Highlights:
Caesar salad - a must order
Burger + Fries
Chocolate tart
Cheesecake

Good but not great - Spicy vodka pasta (off menu)

Skip - Salmon on lavash

3 Likes