Tucson, AZ

We drove from Phoenix to Tucson to see Robert Plant and went the back way through Superior and Oracle and up over Mt. Lemmon. We got stuck in deep snow 20 feet from the summit and the snow plow guy pulled us up and we made the concert. The Saugaro monument is also amazing to drive through.

2 Likes

Last night we set out to go to El Charro Cafe but to our complete surprise they were pack to the rafters (on a Monday night!) and were not even taking names. So we decided to try Saffron Indian Bistro at the other end of the same shopping plaza. And what a great move that was, we had a fabulous meal! We shared the vegetable samosas (a bit too spicy for my sister and nephew), the chicken tikka masala (very good), the lamb kabab from the tandoor (truly outstanding, beautifully spiced and charred and still pink in the middle, clearly lamb tenderloin and a large serving so a steal at $14.95), the daal makhani (black lentils and a very close second to the lamb in deliciousness) and the paneer naan (my nephew’s request and probably his favorite part of the meal although he also really liked the chicken tikka masala). Absolutely outstanding service from one of the nicest wait persons ever. Very attractive room with comfortable seating. The owner made the rounds of all the tables and was very pleasant to speak to. A real winner. Sorry, no pictures and I wish there were.

4 Likes

Had lunch just now at Just Kabab. Great food and run by a lovely couple. I started with an order of dolmeh (stuffed grape leaves) which were not like any others I have had - they seemed to me to have something other than white rice in it (brown rice? barley?) and a certain sweet tanginess (pomegranate molasses?) – just delicious. Then I had the lamb afrique kababs which come with saffron rice, grilled tomato and pickles. Fiercely hot and spicy and fantastic. Not quite as good as the lamb from the tandoor last night but if I had had that a week or two ago I probably would not be able to say that. Leftovers. Dying to go back for the saffron yogurt chicken kababs.

4 Likes