Triumphant Return to NYC!

I was just looking up the English meat pie to get the correct spelling, and do not google pastie, 'cause that’s not it!

1 Like

I hate it when auto-(in)correct thinks it knows what I want to write better than I do. It usually happens while I’m typing, so I’m able re-correct. I also proofread before posting. But there are still times I find an error just after I’ve posted, so I go back and edit.

3 Likes

Seems like you’ve got room for some bagel comparisons and some pizza comparisons.

No steakhouse? Lots of choices, maybe Sparks vs Cote is one way to think about it.

Locanda is fine, but check the menu if you want something specific in case they don’t make it anymore. That’s a bummer I have encountered with returning folks too often at old favorites.

Red sauce italian is probably a lot better in nyc than CA.

There’s a hawker stalls thread, but the TLDR is skip it.

Take a look at Essex market and Chelsea market offerings since you like food halls.

Can’t speak to Super Taste but take a look at Spicy Village (aka Big Tray Chicken) and see if that’s something you can get closer to home, otherwise it may be of interest.

How’s the XLB near you? If DTF is what you’re going to reference, please get yourself to Joe’s Shanghai without a second thought.

Since you’re staying near Hudson yards, Milos has a gorgeous outpost there, and is one of the best lunch deals in town.

1 Like

Steakhouse - my wife isn’t a steak person and I make a mean steak on my grill. So, sadly, no steakhouse in the future for me :frowning:

Locanda - it looks like they still make my favs! That said, I was pretty disappointed the menu hasn’t changed much at all since we left… Although, my wife and I are mainly going for the memories - we had many a wonderful brunch or dinner there over the years.

Red Sauce Italian - any recs? Definitely open to ideas and we have one meal with our in-laws, where this might be a good big family meal.

Hawker Stalls - sadly, your view appears to be the consensus so we’re goin to skip.

Spicy Village - menu looks great and i would love it. Rest of family not as big on spicy. And like Locanda, Super Taste holds sentimental value so we’ll have to go there.

XLB - Joe’s was our place until we started hitting Flushing. After which we started going to Nanxiang and never looked back. Oddly enough, we had great XLB in the Bay Area, less so in LA.

Milos - Apreciate the rec. You’re the 2nd or 3rd person to mention this and so we are likely to do lunch!

Our favorite red sauce Italian in Manhattan is Paul & Jimmy’s, a family owned neighborhood spot, at 123 East 18th St. (Gramercy Park area). Delicious food; friendly, attentive service; and comfortable indoor surroundings. It’s a short walk from our apartment, so we were pleased that they had outdoor tables, allowing us to dine there when we were in the city during warm weather.

2 Likes

Spicy Village is great AND it is BYOW, which saves a freaking ton. When my cousins were here last March, we went. It was $70 for three of us. Best deal in town, IMO.

It isn’t a classic red sauce joint, but Scalinatella is excellent. When people come to town and want Italian, that is my go to. It is also walking distance from my house, so it has that going for it.

For those talking about Balthazar vs. Frenchette, they are very different. Balthazar is typical french brasserie, mainly sticking to classics. Frenchette will go outside the box, especially when it comes to desserts. Both are lively, both are loud, both are great for people watching.

Le Rock is great. I have been a number of times (it is close to my office and on my walk home). The first time I went, I sat in the dining room and did a full meal. The second time, ate lighter, had a lot more to drink, sat at the bar, had a blast. The third time, it was a friend’s birthday, and we were there for drinking and light bites. This is probably where I am going to celebrate my birthday this year.

2 Likes

I haven’t been in a while but others here have reported a steep decline. One the other hand, they opened a Manhattan branch, so you can do an updated compare-and-contrast with Joe’s new location should you so choose.

There’s a parallel thread going you may want to keep an eye on.

Frankie’s, Piccolo Angolo which I haven’t been to in a long time but used to be a load of fun and seems to still be going strong, Carbone if you want spendy, and Parm which is actually good for being very casual.

Not red sauce but also good for a big family meal is Il Buco which I mentioned already, as, surprisingly, is Via Carota because of its side room (we were seated there this summer with no wait when we showed up with 7 people, but I believe you can reserve it).

+1 Scalinatella especially in white truffle season, but it’s a staid UES vibe (and higher price point — at that level I have a soft spot for the original Il Mulino).

———

Paging @vinouspleasure for your pizza question.

Staid UES? Not the vibe I have ever gotten there at all. It is a bit higher price point, but no more so that most of the Italian places I have been to including Antonucci (which is another good one, IMO) and Emilio’s Ballato (another good one).

Though no rez policy, you can reserve for a crowd (I think 6 or so) in the back room of Emilio’s Ballato. Definitely worth a trip to the loo, if you aren’t eating back there. Haven’t been since the before times, but am going later this week and will report back.

1 Like

if you liked lombardi’s, it’s much the same, I’ve heard from a number of knowledgable pizza fanatics that you want to get there early when the ovens are hot.

My first recommendation is to call Andrew Bellucci at The Real Bellucci Pizzaria in astoria post-haste and reserve a clam pie for a day that works for you. Last I heard it was $45 and I’m guessing next year it will be $100 given all the attention he’s garnered.

One of the best pizzas in our area, maybe the country is in jersey city at Razza. I don’t think he takes reservations and it’s not all that easy to get there so unless you’re a fanatic, probably want to skip it.

Scarrs on the LES is my current favorite manhattan slice shop. You can sit in booths and order a whole pie. To give you a sense of the quality he’s aiming for, he mills his own flour.

We are blessed with so much great pizza, give a shout if you’re looking for a place in a specific location. On another note, if you don’t have access to good pastrami, Katz’s deli is worth a visit but looking over your list, I’m sure you know this.

best,

ps I’d be remiss in not pointing out that a lot of insders think Pizza Suprema, walking distance from your hotel, is arguably the best slice in NYC and specifically, their grandma slice is the best example we have of that variety.

2 Likes

Ok, so we locked down our food itinerary… Thanks to all for your input and still refining things but this is what it’s looking like. There are a few additions that I’d love to get thoughts on (in bold)!

25th Dinner - Her Name is Han… We get in on Christmas Day and this seemed like a nice, fun place to start. Menu seems like modern / creative twists on traditional Korean fare.

26th

• Late Breakfast @ Kopitiam We love Asian breakfast! This seemed right up our alley
  • Dinner @ Not finalized yet, but likely one of Van Da / Madame Vo / Saigon Social and leaning towards Madame Vo

27th

• Breakfast @ Brooklyn Bagel to keep it simple
  • Lunch @ Empellon The prix fixe seems like a great deal for everyone to try what they want
  • Dinner @ Zaytinya - I love the original in DC and seems like the NYC outpost is good as well

28th

• Late Breakfast @ Locanda Verde
  • Dinner @ Balthazar - Considered Frenchette and Le Rock, but just couldn’t pass up the steak frites at B

29th

• Simple breakfast @ Sullivan Street Bakery
  • Lunch @ Estiatorio Milos - this seemed to have strong support on the posts above and the menu looks great for the prix fixe!
  • Dinner @ Veranda - this rec came from a good friend who loves to eat and she was raving about it… But after Soothr, this is probably the one I’m most lukewarm about.

30th

• Breakfast @ TBD, but probably something simple
  • Lunch @ Soothr - this is probably the one place I’m most on the fence about. We may more likely do SuperTaste as an old fave… Couldn’t find many reviews of Soothr, but seems just ok.
  • Dinner @ Ci Siamo - I’m pretty excited about this. We had considered Grammercy, but this newer DM restaurant caught my eye. Hoping we can get a reservation!

Thanks in advance, but in particular, any thoughts on Her Name is Han, Kopitiam, Empellon Lunch, Veranda, Soothr and Ci Siamo are greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

I can’t remember now who it was, but they weren’t very impressed with Soothr. @small_h maybe?

I saw one review on HO that was pretty blah. It came highly recommended but it struck me as an ok looking place…

1 Like

@Saregama @vinouspleasure if I’m looking for pizza in that Lombardi’s vein, so more the large style, thin crust as opposed to the more Neopolitan style individual sized pizzas, what are some good choices? Not as familiar with the scene. Was looking at Rubirosa but could definitely use some guidance!

Quick edit - can’t be counter service as we’ll be in a group of 10 and my SIL is picky, so needs to be a sitdown type of joint :slight_smile:

Yes, I’d read about it somewhere to be the new Zaab Elee (which I liked when I went several years ago), and then saw likely the same, lukewarm review you saw.

Yep. Aggressively mediocre food, and the cocktail descriptions were terrifying. Unless you like drinking lollipops.

1 Like

Better Thai option: https://www.fishcheeksnyc.com/

1 Like

What memories you bring bac! The Auberge Hatley was a wonderful place. Very much missed. A few years ago we visited Sherbrooke where the chef and his wife opened a place after the fire which was warm and lovely too though not in the same way! They just closed this year, unfortunately leaving a big hole in the Estrie dining scene. https://www.ithq.qc.ca/ecole/actualites/article/les-lecons-de-vie-du-grand-alain-labrie/?fbclid=IwAR1bL2MYsxk-2KmRK4dQapBLt3tuiLytZGfq1fwTfvnov3HGCj-o4ayPPEc

@JenKalb Thanks for the link to the article! We would have liked to visit La Table du Chef but were never able to make it happen. Chef Alain and Joelle are the nicest people and were so hard working. After 40 years, they deserve a restful retirement.

Check the Sullivan bakery Ig update as their Hell’s kitchen shop is shut down due to water main brokage and the chef has been in a tough situation with nowhere to bake breads for his business.

1 Like