Trip itinerary, SFBA from grayelf, Vancouver HO

Just going over my 33 page list of SFBA restaurants and came across Starbelly as a potential happy hour target. Burger, fries and HH cocktail $20. Bauer recommended this place for the fries way back in 2010. Wonder if it’s still worthy?

Little Yangon has been replaced with another Burmese restaurant, Mahar Yangon. I haven’t been, but FWIW it has a 4.5 star rating on Yelp (76 reviews).

1 Like

Don’t go to La Capra for coffee, at least not the one at 3rd/Harrison. Equator or the Sightglass in the SFMOMA lobby are better options. Even the CafeX coffee robot in the Metreon is better. (If you’re talking about the one at 1st/Mission, I don’t get by there often so it’s possible they’re better, but I’d still go to Equator or Red Door, which has okay coffee but is in a nice gallery space, albeit packed with annoying tech people on weekdays). Coffee Bar should also be near you and probably is fine based on their other location.

Creator is a fine burger for the price but not exactly something I’d go out of my way for, unless you really want to see the wacky machine.

I like Uma Casa. They’ve also got a piri piri chicken place in the Mission that I’m not impressed with. The Saratoga had much better food than I expected, and some pretty good drinks.

If you have an interest in pão de queijo, Saltroot is right down the hill from Legion of Honor. They’re somewhat larger, saltier, and maybe more floury than the ones at Mercado do Brasil in the Mission.

1 Like

I was thinking of the La Capra at 50 Fremont, maybe on the way to the FPFM on Saturday. Didn’t know there was a Sightglass at SFMOMA, thanks for that! The SO is a bit of a coffee geek so we’re interested in quality over aesthetic. Haven’t been blown away by the SF coffee scene in the past but it has a soft spot in my heart as it is the first place I had “third wave” coffee. Coffee Bar has been okay in the past but the FiDi one doesn’t have seating IIRC.

SO is also an engineer so the fun would be more in the machine at Creator for sure. Might share a burger for fun, and since we will have just shared a corned beef sando at Sentinel. I’m finding the prices just outrageous this time. $17 for a tuna salad sandwich at the Deli Board?? That’s $CAD22. And I don’t think it comes with a side.

Nice tip on Saltroot!

A biased thumbs up for Equator. They were the first California roaster with B Corporation certification, they make coffee that tastes like coffee, and if they’re good enough for Thomas Keller, Tracy Des Jardin, Mashi Morimoto and Corey Lee, they are good enough for me.

1 Like

La Capra is closed on Saturdays.

Your SO might enjoy the factlet that Rube Goldberg’s first day job was as an engineer for the San Francisco Water and Sewers Departmen. I kid you not.

Wow, I haven’t heard anyone mention Naked Lunch in a long time! I’d love an update as I remember them being very good.

Gallardos is the place to go for birria. I haven’t explored their menu beyond that.

If the menu at El Buen Comer appeals, I think they are quite good for sit down Mexican, and the higher price is justified by ingredient quality

La Torta Gorda had chiles en nogadas a few weeks ago, probably still does (I’d call ahead), which paired with a small Torta Rajas con queso was a great meal.

For a lunchtime mission crawl, or a snack, if you are not limited to sit down Mexican, my recommendations would be:

• A Cheese and Loroco pupusa at La Palma Mexicatessen
  • Cecina or buche tacos at Belmar la gallanita; spend the extra $.65 for a handmade tortilla
  • If on a weekday, Carnitas or chicharron taco at Gallo Giro truck
  • ceviche at cholo soy (well, Peruvian and several blocks away, but why not? :slight_smile:

IIRC, El Huarache Azteca has some items with blue corn masa, which isn’t too common, at least not on the more inexpensive places (Nopalito, a block from Taichi jianbing has a blue corn quesadilla that’s very good).

2 Likes

I think Mercado de Brazil just heats up the frozen brand they carry. The Saltroot ones sound good!

Whoa, nice catch on La Capra being closed on Saturdays, totally missed that. It’s now off the list entirely thanks to you and Splonk. I was interested in trying Neighbor baked goods there, and they also carry my beloved Starter, but I will seek out those treats elsewhere! What a hoot about Goldberg.

I’m cautious about Naked Lunch. We’ve been a few times but not of course for at least four years. The burger and fries were the things to get IIRC and I think the burg is only available on Saturday now.

I just got a strong recc from a trusted source for the birria seca at San Jalisco on Fridays but I’ve certainly heard good things about Gallardos as well. Do you think either would work as a walkin at 8 pm on a Friday without a hideous wait?

I was momentarily tempted by Puerto Alegre because of their pozole verde but the same source tells me it’s really loud which my tinnitus won’t like. I think El Buen Comer is a bit too guisado-centric for my limited eating schedule alas. Will research your crawl reccos ASAP (google is crapping out on my PC today, why???) but have tried La Palma and Gallo Giro. Cholo Soy I looked at and noted. Belmar is new to me, woohoo. Might it be Gallinita?

I think we had a huarache at Azteca years ago that was blue. Haven’t been to Nopalito in yonks. Taichi Jianbing intrigues, as I am obsessed with jianbing. So many eats!!!

Gallardo’s closes at 8. It’s generally pretty empty before then on weekdays (but slammed for weekend brunch).

I’ve seen Neighbor pastries at Red Door before, not sure what their status is currently, or on the weekends. They had stuff from b. patisserie yesterday, but I think I’ve seen a mix in the past. Same with Sightglass, which has had the same mix of b./Neighbor. Starter is all over the place these days and shouldn’t be hard to find - seems like they’re kind of the baseline pastry for coffee shops. If you haven’t had it, I think it’s worth trying the mochi muffins from Third Culture as well - Contraband should have them.

And once again, thanks to you intrepid HOs for alerting me to a closure, in this case an early one at Gallardo’s. Totally missed that. We don’t eat dinner till a bit later to accommodate the delightful happy hour ritual that I so wish Vancouver would adopt!

What do we think of Casa de la Condesa? Pozole only on weekends but looks promising.

Happy to hear Contraband has upped their game on the pastry front – it was my one complaint about the café previously. I believe they also carry Neighbor (so hard not to type that Neighbour!) Mochi muffins sound intriguing.

I should clarify that my Starter fixation is on their kouign aman, particularly the formerly elusive hazelnut version. I like(d) them better than b. patisserie’s.

Haven’t tried Neighbor yet because I think they are newcomers since 2014.

Since you’ve been away and appear to fancy a good pastry, I’m surprised Arsicault Bakery hasn’t shown up on your bucket list. You’ll have to wait in line at their tiny bakery at Arguello & Clement, but you might find a transcendental kouign amman or croissant there.

FYI - recently updated

1 Like

Not the typical Mission Mexican, but how about Cala, the sister restaurant to Contramar in D.F.?

Depends on what time. I went there one afternoon after lunch and there was no wait.

We did visit Arsicault but it was a while ago and later in the afty, no wait but not much selection, alas, and no ka. Excited for their Civic Center expansion but that will be another trip obvs.

I considered Cala, but we are so starved for "typical/authentic/regular/traditional/whatever you want to call it Mexican at home that I’m keen to stick with that sort of establishment. Also no tables available on Friday till after 9 when I checked a couple of weeks ago. It’s popular!

1 Like

I’d skip them since you’re going to El Huarache Azteca. The Gorditas are supposedly the thing to get, and I haven’t had their Pozole. A cubano tortas had mystery meat Milanesa and wasn’t very good overall, corn-based quesadillas were fine, and I’ve been told to avoid the machetes (machete shaped quesadillas).

1 Like

Stonemill Matcha has one of the best textured croissants I’ve had recently. And if you haven’t been to neighbor bakehouse for a croissant, The Mill serves them alongside the Mill’s own toast

1 Like