Traditional Dim Sum in Monmouth County

Did the House of Chong the other night just for the new dumplings. I will try to get the pictures loaded from phone to laptop so I can post them – unless someone knows how to get them right from phone online…

That said, I was struck first by how dirty the carpet was. and the paint peeling in places. just not a very encouraging beginning. We ordered every possible dumpling to try them all as well as several other dishes. The dumplings were all good. But none were spectacular, especially at the prices that we were charged. Crown Palace Dim Sum and Hunan Taste both have these beat. The remainder of the dishes were quite nice. Some very nice big Spicy Shrimp that was beautiful to look at and was quite nice. As good as I have before, but the accompaniments (rice etc) was just gland and had to ‘punch’ to it.

I might go back during a peak period since we were there post dinner crowd time, but only one more chance…

You can load pics from your phone. Just hit the little upward arrow and choose the file from your pic gallery/file

And yes, prices at this place have definitely gone up. 13.50 for a quart of beef and broccoli. Steep price?

Those are the Soup Dumplings… nice flavor but dry… almost no soup

Char-siu Steamed buns. Lots of Umami in the pork, but so little compared to the dough

Shrimp Dumplings… just very plain

Shu mai - these were very good but expensive

Excellent Spicy and Orange Shrimp… best dish of the night

Lovely Fried Shrimp – perfectly cooked but again without real PUNCH…

(and thanks for the tip on how to upload… i have a bunch to do now… )

3 Likes