Trader Joe's meta-discussion

I’m going to start a Trader Joe’s Meta-Meta-Discussion Thread that consists entirely of squabbling about whether particular comments belong in the current Trader Joe’s Yay or Nay thread or the Trader Joe’s Meta-Discussion Thread. That just sounds fascinating to me.

11 Likes

Well, this thread wasn’t really a meta-discussion anyway, in the common usage of the word being a discussion about a discussion. At best, your proposed new thread would be its own discussion about how anal retentive OT flaggerism is or shouldn’t be.

Sure. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

just what we need, a tjs meta-meta-meta discussion!

With any luck, we will have a Singularity: one unifying thread that encompasses everything, where nothing is OT.

870 posts. Enjoy.

5 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Regarding aisle obstructors, I don’t find this a problem at the TJ’s I most frequent. OTOH, my Costco, which has extremely wide aisles, seems to encourage families strolling along four or five abreast so no one can get past.

1 Like

Then you’ll want to avoid TJ locations like Bellingham, WA, where the frozen food aisle is frequently gridlocked.

3 Likes

Ha! Happens on every thread.

1 Like

As someone who is disabled- first confined to a wheelchair and then “improving” to a walker, my perspective may be more focussed. I was given a gift subscription to Costco. The food sizes were not ideal for me, but the constant threat of being rundown by oversized shopping carts was completely off-putting. The problem of blocked aisles at TJ’s is also more of a societal problem. The aisles of any store but especially relatively small stores should not be used as private telephone booths ! Do your shopping and move on. No need to stop and call to ask if it is the white bag or blue bag of chips that we want to buy.

6 Likes

True that. My local Walmart, while huge, suffered from very narrow aisles, which were further cluttered by in-aisle displays. A remodel has mostly resolved that, how I don’t know, but it’s now possible not to sideswipe everyone you pass.

I think that’s a feature of every TJs I’ve even been to. Not fun.

2 Likes

I must be lucky in that it’s either busy or not, and then it doesn’t really matter which aisle one happens to be in :slight_smile:

But now that the students have left everything’s much better.

The TJs I frequent is close by a lot of student apartments. However, the shopping mix does not appear to be predominantly students. At my old University I see that a TJs opened in the neighborhood. Very needed.

1 Like

The frozen food aisle at my store (Masonic, SF) is extra-wide, so gridlock is less of a problem than it might be. The worst aisle seems to be the pasta/sauces/condiments/etc. aisle.

(And I always go right at opening time, but so do lots of other people, alas. It’s better than it would be later, but it’s not great.)

2 Likes

Just saw this video from the Holderness Family - “How Trader Joe’s Was Made.” I mean, they’re not wrong… :joy:

9 Likes

!!! I remember them from The Amazing Race. And they’re not wrong.

2 Likes

That’s great! The TJ’s by me is at a busy intersection with a tiny parking lot (that they share with a church), so I never go.

1 Like

I’ve been watching them for years, since their Christmas Jammies video. They live in Raleigh, I think - somewhere in the Triangle for sure. Keep an eye out for them!

2 Likes