Trader Joe’s yea/nay/meh 2021

They discontinued the tapioca pudding years ago, and I’m STILL bitter about that.

2 Likes

Yesterday, and a month ago, the Greek eggplant in the purple can was MIA in Burlington, MA. But it’s just a supply issue and was due to arrive last night. Sadly, the 12-grain crackers, a staple of mine, are no longer carried.

1 Like

Last week, anticipating possibly feeling lousy after the Moderna booster I would be getting, I bought several prepared entrees at TJ’s. YEA for frozen Fish Korma. The fish is firm and the sauce luscious. It’s a rather small portion but I added some vegetable fried rice.

YEA for the refrigerated Chicken Breast Medallions Coconut Red Curry. A generous amount of meat, enough for two servings. There’s no rice or vegetables, so I added both cauliflower and some vegetable fried rice. Had I realized in advance that the package was just chicken and the delicious curry sauce, I’d have picked up one of their shelf-stable vegetarian Indian entrees and combined the two.

MEH for the frozen Mandarin Orange Chicken Bowl. Reheated battered chicken is inevitably gummy, and since the skin was still on the chunks of thigh meat, they were rubbery as well. Memo to self: in future, avoid frozen meals with poultry pieces unless they are skinless white meat, which fares better for this purpose.

6 Likes

It was surprisingly good!

I’m always surprised that all the Indian entrees I’ve tried are good in an “authentic” way, but the Chinese ones are so heavily Americanized / overly sweet. (Not the dumplings, but things like the mandarin chicken or beef with broccoli and so on.)

8 Likes

YEA: Crispy Jalapeno Pieces (new item). Think crispy fried onions, only with jalapenos. Not super-spicy, but plenty of jalapeno flavor. They’d be good as a topping for salads or soups, but tbh I had to stop myself from just eating them by the fistful.

7 Likes

Yea- TJ’S Southern peach crisp ice cream with peach purée and a crunchy buttery oat crisp I’m assuming it’s seasonal. A bit overly sweet, but still very good. The peach purée is not rampant throughout but rather an extra treat when you hit a vein of it. Definitely something to grab, while it’s around. (It might be permanent, but I’m guessing it’s here for a limited time).

3 Likes

I’m guessing the mandarin chicken in the bowl is the same as the mandarin chicken bag in their freezer? I’ve never had it, but it is one of their best sellers. However, the skin still being there, and being flabby, would be a huge turn-off for me.

Yes, the Fearless Flyer says it’s limited…the ice cream is rich, but could stand more peach. I added a dollop of peach preserves to my bowl. And of course, with the ice cream format, the crumble, though tasty, isn’t crisp…

1 Like

Yea, or more accurately yay, for the seasonal arrival of TJ’s California nectarines in the carton. I have been buying them for years and they are the most reliably good nectarines I have found.

They’re all usually at an acceptable stage of ripeness and the carton cushions the fruit from bruises. Best of all, no one has poked a fingernail into the fruit and ruined it.

2 Likes

I’ve never had those. Would you describe them as sweeter, tarter, or balanced?

1 Like

Those seasonal California nectarines in the carton are typically on the tart side of balanced. As in balanced between sweet and tart.

Two of us adults have no problem going through the 4 lb. box in a week. Families with kids can make them disappear faster than we do, of course.

1 Like

I’ll look for them next time at TJs. Who knows - they may carry us until my personal favorite end of season nectarine, the red-gold. Those are the last to arrive around end of Aug/Sept here.

3 Likes

I usually always liked fish sticks growing up. I think I’ll like them better now that i know how to make a good cocktail sauce

Well… We’re waiting…

:grin:

1 Like

Still haven’t been to the store :japanese_ogre:
I’ll get there. I made cocktail sauce but I used it on boiled shrimp.

1 Like

What’s in your cocktail sauce? Mine is Heinz ketchup, lemon juice, and plain horseradish (not creamed). Very simple and definitely not original, but I’ve been making it for years and like it.

1 Like

I use Heinz chili sauce (different from ketchup), plain horseradish, and a bunch of lemon juice. Almost identical to yours :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Nope

Great minds!

1 Like

Great minds! I like the chili sauce too but don’t buy it that often since I already have the ketchup.

1 Like