Trader Joe’s yea/nay/meh 2021

Nay the jicama thins. I don’t know if this is a new product or not. I thought they would be nice for stuffing leftovers in for a quick lunch but they where dripping in slime and tasted awful. The date on the package was fine but I have a feeling I got a bad package. Has anyone tried them?

Yea- those tiny chocolate covered icecream filled cones. They are probably pretty expensive for what they are but just the right size for a sweet treat.

4 Likes

I think there are many people who enjoy the premade foods like salads, dips and fresh and frozen mains. I do not often buy those kind of things but when I have I find them to be much better than what you get at supermarkets. I always have their frozen mac-n-cheese in my freezer for when I don’t want to cook. It is good enough that I rarely make it from scratch anymore.

3 Likes

Yay, fairly new item
Frozen blueberry/lemon cream biscuits. They come 6 in the pack and their is a packet of lemon cream in the package. They are already baked and just needs heating/defrosting. Could use a few more blueberries but that is nit-picking. They are really good biscuits

1 Like

I look at them as a way of overcoming my inability to execute portion control with ice cream. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

boo… just found out that trader joe’s discontinued their excellent rice pudding.

why, i ask? why?

There’s a whole separate thread.

6 Likes

Well dang, I was in town getting my vaccine and stopped by the Trader Joe’s. Didn’t think to look for this. I love just about anything bluberry, so I would have definitely tried these. I did pick up the mini ice cream cones that every one is raving about. I can’t wait to try one or 4.

2 Likes

Had the same experience with the jicama thins, truly gross, slimy & just yucky… I planned on taking them back but just never got around to it…

2 Likes

Hate when that happens. I haven’t bought the rice pudding but there have been a few things discontinued recently that I mourn…lemongrass chicken sticks, peanut butter roundels cookies. It isn’t always a demand problem, I think, especially now with supply chains disrupted.

1 Like

the supplier issue occurred to me, as well. of course, if that’s the case, there’s a possibility that it will be back. though, in my experience, when tj’s brings a product back, the quality often doesn’t match that of the original.

1 Like

I’ve thought about starting another TJ’s thread to crowdsource information on whether items are discontinued, seasonal, or occasional. Never quite had the energy to do it. But I think we’ve all had the experience of seeing a favorite disappear, and wondering why it’s gone and whether it’s coming back.

I mainly shop TJ’s for semi-gourmet ingredients that aren’t available at my primary store, Aldi, or are too expensive at my local grocery. My personal faves are roasted red peppers, triple creme brie, frozen shelled fava beans (haven’t seen those in a while), frozen breaded eggplant (same), baby bok choy, Greek Kalamata olive oil, plain arugula, peeled beets, toasted hazelnuts, shallots, fennel bulb, dried pappardelle pasta, orange muscat vinegar, a handful of white wines, and more. I also like how TJ’s makes ethnic foods, or it’s interpretations of them, more easily available - things like the new Chakri snack mix, wheat-corn blend tortillas, or frozen gyoza, pelmeni, and dumplings. And then there’s just the fun, plain yummy stuff - dark Russet kettle potato chips, spinach sour cream dip, dark chocolate, etc. It’s a good place to stock your freezer with convenience foods if you’re a busy parent, too.

5 Likes

Am I the only person who every time they read fava beans, this pops in their head?

4 Likes

No, you are not the only one.

I’ve never had fava beans, but I kind of feel like they’d be lacking something without the, um, main ingredient.

1 Like

Those Italian olive oil breadsticks are totally addictive. Dunked in butter or not.

1 Like

They discontinued the tapioca pudding years ago, and I’m STILL bitter about that.

2 Likes

Yesterday, and a month ago, the Greek eggplant in the purple can was MIA in Burlington, MA. But it’s just a supply issue and was due to arrive last night. Sadly, the 12-grain crackers, a staple of mine, are no longer carried.

1 Like

Last week, anticipating possibly feeling lousy after the Moderna booster I would be getting, I bought several prepared entrees at TJ’s. YEA for frozen Fish Korma. The fish is firm and the sauce luscious. It’s a rather small portion but I added some vegetable fried rice.

YEA for the refrigerated Chicken Breast Medallions Coconut Red Curry. A generous amount of meat, enough for two servings. There’s no rice or vegetables, so I added both cauliflower and some vegetable fried rice. Had I realized in advance that the package was just chicken and the delicious curry sauce, I’d have picked up one of their shelf-stable vegetarian Indian entrees and combined the two.

MEH for the frozen Mandarin Orange Chicken Bowl. Reheated battered chicken is inevitably gummy, and since the skin was still on the chunks of thigh meat, they were rubbery as well. Memo to self: in future, avoid frozen meals with poultry pieces unless they are skinless white meat, which fares better for this purpose.

6 Likes

It was surprisingly good!

I’m always surprised that all the Indian entrees I’ve tried are good in an “authentic” way, but the Chinese ones are so heavily Americanized / overly sweet. (Not the dumplings, but things like the mandarin chicken or beef with broccoli and so on.)

8 Likes

YEA: Crispy Jalapeno Pieces (new item). Think crispy fried onions, only with jalapenos. Not super-spicy, but plenty of jalapeno flavor. They’d be good as a topping for salads or soups, but tbh I had to stop myself from just eating them by the fistful.

7 Likes