trader joe’s: yay/nay/meh 2022

thanks, much appreciated!

1 Like

Totally agree on all points.

We thaw them and pan fry in a little oil Much improved. Poached egg on top and breakfast is served.

3 Likes

For anyone that enjoys thinner crispy latkes vs. thick hockey puck style, the TJ’s latkes are outstanding when heated in the toaster oven, oven, or air fryer to the point that we’ve stopped buying from the local Jewish deli when we don’t want to make our own from scratch.

Far better than the widely available farmstead supermarket.

These TJ’s latkes have been lauded by multiple guests at holiday meals who grew up eating homemade.

A few grinds of pepper and sea salt and they’re ready for the table, served with traditional sour cream and apple sauce, or a dollop of plain Greek yoghurt sprinkled with pomegranate seeds.

6 Likes

we tried TJs ravioli and chicken sausage for the first time. The hot italian sausage was good not great but a little too salty. The cacio e pepe and porcini mushroom ravioli isn’t going make anyone forget Borgatta in the Bronx but with a touch of evoo, black pepper and grated hard chees, great for a fast meal.

best,

3 Likes

Stick them in the toaster oven, they reheat well all over that way vs in a pan.

I’ve used the frozen hash brown shreds for latkes, but just keep in mind that the texture is very different than grated (or food processor, also easy but divisive).

Zabar’s and Eli’s (and likely Agata) have ready latkes, so that’s another option.

1 Like

Have to disagree. To me the filing is too smooth, blandly oily, and over sweet. Original Reese’s for me!

1 Like

thanks! it seems to me I’ve seen latkes somewhere or other on the ues, maybe fairway…or maybe tals. How is agata? I’ve walked through a few times and some of the prepared food looks good!

I think of it like Citarella, not quite Dean and Deluca. (Citarella probably also has them.)

The prepared food at all these places is good — it’s always surprising to me how many people rely on them completely for normal eating.

1 Like

The almond ones are pretty good too. But I am not a connoisseur of Reese’s or other, only an occasional consumer :joy:

Can’t beat TJs fresh ravioli for value / quality.

I like the porcini, though the filling is scant compared to nyc alternatives like Rafettos (at Fairway) and Citarella / Zabar’s (house brands). But it’s also perfectly portioned — I don’t need to worry about freezer space for the rest of the package!

I like the cauliflower cheese ones a lot. Haven’t tried the Brussels sprouts ones yet though I’m intrigued!

2 Likes

I wasn’t crazy about the Brussels sprout ones, though it’s been a couple of years since I had them.

I’ve tried them both in a toaster oven and an air fryer. They’re OK but rather small and thin. The Golden brand (available at most chain markets, at least in SoCal) are much better though quite a bit higher in price.

1 Like

That’s okay- we’re allowed to have differing opinions

1 Like

thanks , that’s really helpful, will try Rafettos at some point! and knowing you like porcini, next time we’re on arthur ave will grab a box of for you from Borgatta, it’s our go to and I understand quite a few restaurants serve borgatta ravioli.

1 Like

I have a college friend who has lived on the uws for 20 years and has never turned on her oven!

3 Likes

So bummed that the pound plus bars have been out of stock for over a month!

1 Like

yay for portugese tarts! they really don’t taste much like portugese tarts, wrong crust, too sweet, too much vanilla but who doesn’t like sweet, warm, custardy, flaky goodness!

3 Likes

Ooh that will be exciting — thank you! I never make it to the Bronx without someone else driving…

The ones from the freezer? That are imported from Portugal?