‘Trademark bully’: Momofuku turns up heat on others selling ‘chili crunch’

Meh. I’ll just be over here making my own chile crisp/oil.
bender1

6 Likes

You got a recipe you could share please?

The obvious answer is to call any of your reasonable facsimiles Chili Krunch, if you’re going to sell them. :rofl:

2 Likes

Generally, you want to be careful with home batches of anything that you are going to store long term that has garlic in it (botulism!), but I like this recipe:

If you want your crisp, crispier, you can add more fried garlic and/or shallots, peanuts, black beans, etc. to small amounts of the main batch to prevent spoilage.

8 Likes

You can’t.

I’ve already trademarked the term “Blackjack and Hookers”

6 Likes

Well thank goodness I trademarked mine as Blaquejaque and Hooqurz!

9 Likes

Liar.

4 Likes

lol

3 Likes

All good fun, Amanda.

Cheers! :+1:

:slight_smile: My lol was lowercase because the flu makes it hurt to laugh!

4 Likes

Y’know, if you want to make your own Chile Cronch, here’s the ingredient list

:face_with_monocle::joy:

(Meanwhile, Mr. MSG copped out of adding MSG because he still wants to sell to the MSG-headache people – so only “natural sources of glutamates” like yeast extract – aka marmite, bovril, vegemite, take your pick :rofl:)

I saw the shelf-stable jars of crunchy-fried garlic and shallots at either the Thai or Viet market last week, and was wondering if would be a good shortcut, and also avoid the botulism risk?

4 Likes

I had a similar though, honestly. I was thinking about getting one of the larger sizes of the dehydrated garlic, onion, and/or shallots from Penzey’s for a batch.

1 Like

Costco has dehydrated onions (maybe garlic too but I haven’t seen it lately), though I think they might have a different texture in the end than the fried.

2 Likes

Yeah, but for some of the initial flavoring stage, where I might have used whole garlic. Then I could just leave it in to blend.

2 Likes

Excellent, thanks! :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Happy to help!

1 Like

Reminds me of this

Café Hon is now closed, and Honfest is a memory. I had a great time the year before the pandemic. I have photo of the late sister of a late friend of mine protesting in front of the Café Hon. gotch yer trademarks right here.

2 Likes

At Beast Pizza in Toronto

7 Likes

haha, literal LOL.

1 Like

I think “David Chang Invented Everything” should become a thing :joy:

7 Likes