[Toronto] heated patios

Oh good to know. Thank you!

1 Like

Pub meal at Shenanigans, in the space that had been Scallywags, at Yonge and St Clair.

I had the steak and cheese melt, upgraded the side to a chopped salad. The kitchen forgot the stout beef dip. It was fine without it.

I liked it. Good Dark & Stormy cocktail.

Not a destination, but nice to have a heated rooftop patio at Yonge and St Clair. The patio was heated and there was a draft with some fresh air from outside.

The only issue for me was that the table behind my seat was too close for comfort. I had finished eating when the host seated 3 guests at that table behind me, so I put my mask back on until I left.

They have a brunch on Sundays from 12 pm-3 pm. 2 hour time limit for people on the heated patio.

Looks like it’s connected to O&B. I had no idea.

2 Likes

Looks like these restaurants will continue to offer heated patios this fall.

2 Likes

I would add Lapinou to this list. Their patio was quite comfortable into December last year. F’Amelia’s patio is also heated, but somewhat enclosed. Note that several of the listed patios are also pretty much enclosed (e.g., Baro), so not really open-air.

1 Like

I was a little anxious on the back patio at Bar Reyna in Yorkville. I haven’t been to Bar Raval because it’s too enclosed and tables are too tightly spaced for me.

We dined on the patio at Bar St. Lo on Sunday. We picked it mainly because it was close to Scotiabank Arena, where we were seeing a concert. However it was quite good. Service was friendly and attentive. They fired up a heater for us and replaced the gas tank when it appeared to be running low. The food was quite enjoyable; nothing particularly inventive, but mostly well executed and flavourful. Drinks were also fun. Music was loud, but they turned it down for us.

The view from the patio:

• Hybrid Threat (left): Makers Mark, fernet, banilla liqueur, rosemary syrup, bitters - quite strong, not sweet, fernet dominates.
  • Toronto Fire Escape (right): bombay, mezcal, Aperol, pico de gallo syrup, lemon, peychaud bitters, cilantro - very creative, tastes like smoky vegetables, with a little sweet and cilantro.
  • glass of 2021 Exile on Caucasus, Ori Marani, Kakheti, Georgia (orange) - amazing! Citrus, apricot, floral. and earthy

• Watermelon Salad: feta, baby kale, mint, lime - simple fresh flavours.

• Corn Salad: grilled corn, black beans, red onion, red pepper, avocado, crispy chick peas - very tasty; a great vegan dish.

• Croquettes: smoked trout, potato, dill yoghurt - smoked trout comes through well, nice and crisp, not too oily.

• Calamari: chickpea flour, tzatziki, spicy mayo, grilled lemon - squid nicely timed (soft, but cooked), but coating was not crisp and fairly oily.

• Pork ribs special with coleslaw, cheddar thyme biscuits - good, nice saucy ribs, incredibly buttery biscuit (like shortbread), coleslaw very mustardy.

• Chocolate Paris Brest: chocolate cremeux, sour cherry, white chocolate Tonka ice cream, honeycomb, ganache - nice flavours, but the pastry needed work.
2 Likes

It looked like this list was updated, but that doesn’t show in the link below.

I’m not too crazy about the table spacing at Bar Raval.

I’m also turned off by patios which seem airtight. I want to feel a draft.

I’m guessing most restaurants that have had heated patios the past 2 winters won’t offer them this winter.

Out of the heated patios I’ve visited, I will plan to revisit Union. I would revisit Farmhouse Tavern. I will revisit Emmer, although it’s become so popular on Sundays I’ll probably try to visit when it first opens, or visit on Thu or Fri during the day.

I still hope to visit Cano.

2 Likes

Lapinou continues to have a nice heated patio, with good air circulation, reasonably spaced tables, and tasty food. We last went a couple of weeks ago. Great veggie dishes in particular, including squash rice (similar to a risotto).

2 Likes

I am going to start a fresh heated patio discussion for Nov 18, 2022 onwards since some restaurants that had heated patios last winter won’t have them this winter.

Bar Piquette looks promising.

I liked that patio at Lapinou, but I didn’t like the food or service enough to go back. There was nothing wrong with the food. The tables are nicely spaced. I appreciate that. I haven’t been to Bar Raval’s patio because I like more space.

1 Like

Bar Piquette’s patio is really an indoor space as it is fully enclosed, with heaters. At least it was last time we went. Food and wine were great though.

Not sure how long ago you visted Lapinou, but the chef (and front of House) changed earlier this year with an entirely different menu - more upscale.

1 Like

I dined at Lapinou at the end of May, which was my first visit.

I decided to bring my Aranet4 which measures CO2 onto a local covered, heated patio today. The patio was large, with ceiling fans running, and there were around 15 people inside, with 2 space heaters running.

I chose a table close to a wall, to be far away from the other patrons. The ventilation is probably better the closer one is to the outdoors, but if there are more people seated in those seats, the chance of picking up a bug might be higher there, regardless of air flow.

I could see a crack of air space at the seam of the plastic sheeting making up an outside wall, so it wasn’t completely airtight, as I would hope. I’m not naming the place because I like it a lot. I don’t think there is much a restaurant can do in this situation where people want to eat on a patio and be warm when it’s minus 6 °C outside.

The reading was initially 780, which is pretty good. Within 5 minutes, the reading jumped up to 2220.

I put my mask back on as soon as I saw this number.
Once my cappuccino arrived, I asked the server if I could go outside, and have my breakfast there.

When I stood up, the reading on my Aranet4 dropped to 1800. A maskless father with a maskless little kid walked past my table, to head to the restroom, and the kid was coughing non-stop. Seeing them walk towards the restroom made me wonder how well ventilated a stairwell or restroom could be in an old building.

I understand it’s hard to mask little kids. I also wish people would stay home if their children are ill.

I guess I’ll be switching to takeout only and uncovered patios/ park benches while it’s above minus 10 ° C.

3 Likes

The new chef (Ben Heaton) was “announced” in August (13th). Not sure when he arrived, but he was definitely still at his old place in March.
I have an (indoor) res in early December - I’ll report back.

2 Likes

Please do. Hope you enjoy your meal. :slightly_smiling_face:

We last ate at Lapinou on Oct. 28th. With the change in chef, a number of our favourite dishes were gone (e.g., house-cured ham with shaved Comte, duck cassoulet). But the food was still very good. It didn’t seem particularly more upscale compared to before. Here’s what we had:

• Brodflour sourdough - fromage frais, pickled shallots, black pepper - while we miss the previous pillowy buns, this bread was excellent.
  • Castelfranco radicchio - goat’s milk Gouda, pangrattata, bay leaf vinaigrette - nice, though not quite as impressive as some of their previous salads.
  • Stracciatella - Concord grapes, shiso, sesame, soy - loved this, nice simple combo of ingredients.
  • Hen of the Woods - Comte mornay, toasted sunflower seeds, beef fat vinaigrette - lots of umami.
  • Raw scallop - truffle ponzu, pickled beech mushroom, sunchoke - could have been awesome, but a shade heavy with the vinegar.
  • Ricotta gnocchi - fresh tomato, kombu, huge Parmesan crisps - very good.
  • Squash rice - garam masala, curry leaf, pumpkin seeds, shaved Gouda - loved this dish, like an Indian-accented risotto.
  • Grilled Carrots - tonnato, caper relish, dill, coriander seed - simple and lovely.
  • Elora chicken - wild mushrooms, chestnut, vadouvan jus - a bit over salted, but otherwise well-executed.
1 Like

I was back at Lapinou (indoor dining, not patio) and was definitely impressed. The room seems a bit brighter; service was excellent and food was (mostly) memorable. Certainly better than I recall.

I will return - probably in a couple of months as I plan (hope!) to travel extensively.
They currently feature a truffle tasting menu (Mon-Thur only). Not cheap (like most/all truffle menus) - but probably cheaper than most. In paricular the ‘white truffle ice-cream’ with balsamico was superb. In my top two desserts of the year (along with Grapefruit Givre at Cafe Boulud) - but only available as part of the truffle tasting menu (I think).
Not sure if that menu is available on Patio.

3 Likes

Passed by Koh Lipe yesterday and their heated patio is still operating. I didn’t try their food though.

1 Like

The one at Hazelton hotel closed their patio recently. I didn’t realize how much space and noise they take/make as the evening walks are eerie for moi

1 Like

I found it eerie last night, when I walked along Yorkville, that’s the perfect word for it.