[Toronto, downtown] Japanese grill?

I agree with you, implying because you’re X you can’t cook Y’s food properly is ridiculous. Chef’s/cooks of different backgrounds earn accolades and Michelin stars cooking foods from their non native country.

1 Like

Yeah totally agree especially I found it very offensive when a restaurant makeover show the chef kept commenting that you are not from Italy so shouldn’t cook that food! Given that chef himself had a restaurant for regions that they aren’t from! Ah well can’t expect folk who might be decent at one aspect/skill to be mentally evolved as well

3 Likes

There are many cheap and crappy Japanese restaurants that seem to be often run by Koreans and Chinese. They don’t seem to be trying to provide a Korean or Chinese take on Japanese food as the menus are pretty much just Japanese dishes. And there are a wide range of excellent Japanese restaurants at many price points, some of which have Japanese chefs and some do not. Both scenarios can be true.

Back to calam1ty’s question, if your friend is insistent on the Japanese chef detail, consider Sushi Kaji, Kaiseki Yu-Zen Hashimoto, Miku. I haven’t been to many of the other prominent Japanese-chef-driven restaurants like Sushi Masaki Saito, Aburi Hana, Yukashi, so I’ll other’s with more experience to recommend any of these.

Given that the grill is no longer a factor and in light of the wealth of choices, it may come down to convenience. Is there a preferred neighhood in which to dine?

CentralISH. I don’t drive and also avoid the impaired/diverted transit routes. Roughly Bloor to the Lake and Yonge (can push that to Sherbourne) over to Dufferin. Hope that helps. If there’s something really unmissable mid or uptown would definitely consider.

Admit to feeling overwhelmed by the choice now :rofl:

Yasu on Harbord is well-regarded for omakase sushi, and the chef/owner is Japanese.

You shouldn’t. Your friend wants to make you happy. Why not review the array of choices together? That way you’ve both considered each other.

1 Like