Toronto, $15 bucks and under

Bowl of regular pho at Pho Linh is $15 or below, so is two slices of pizza from Pizza Badiali!

2 Likes

At 4:50 pm, I took a moment to consider whether I could drive from Avenue and Lawrence to Gouter, and still get to Earl Bales Park by 5:30 pm, decided it was worth a try, and by the time I clicked reserve at 4:51 pm, it was gone :joy:

1 Like

Delicious breakfast sandwich at Masa Deli.

Fattoush at Tabule, $15 before tax.

Mejadra,$8 before tax

3 Likes

Day Olds at Coco’s on College

1 Like

Needing a quick dinner in the neighbourhood of Yonge and Davisville, we finally crossed Flaming Stove off our list. Located inside a Hasty Mart, they have plenty of packaged Middle Eastern salads, dishes to warm up (e.g., Egyptian kusherie), dips, and desserts. But what people come in for are the saj wraps.

As you are waiting for an order, you can watch the staff skilfully stretch a wad of dough out into a large disc (within a few seconds), then drape it over a pillow to shape it further:

Then they place it on a hot cooking surface where it quickly puffs out:

In a few more seconds it is taken off as it has browned:

The saj are the base for 4 basic wraps. We tried the chicken shawarma and the falafel, both of which come with options of lettuce, tomato, onions, two kinds of pickles, cabbage, tahini, garlic sauce, hot sauce, and amba sauce. The result is slightly shorter than my forearm and about the same girth (the pictures below are of half each wrap). All this for $14.99.

Chicken shawarma:

Falafel:

Both were very enjoyable and enough food for two meals. The saj was particularly appealing - thin and light, with a lovely subtle flavour. We also sampled the hummus, which was good, although we are not sure why Toronto Life highlighted it as one of the best in the city.

3 Likes

Looks great!

1 Like

In my nabe, will check it out soon! Shawarma options are pretty dismal round these parts.

2 Likes

I like the middle eastern food at both Zeyzafoun and Tabule in your part of town.

The shawarma in a pita isn’t cheap at Tabule, but it’s pretty good in my experience, although I tend to order other stuff instead.

I haven’t tried Zeyzafoun’s chicken shawarma yet . $11.

1 Like

Ya, Tabule is good but I never go there for the shawarma, too many other options. I have no problem driving to Scarbs for the best shawarma in the city when the craving hits me tho.

1 Like

Maybe I will try the new doner place on Baldwin for dinner tonight.
Leaf Doner

https://www.leafdoner.ca/

Or Chef Harwash at Scadding Court

https://chefharwash.com/

Go for it!!

Which Scarborough shawarma joint is your fave?

Nile River on College St

Shawarma Empire FTW!

2 Likes

Funny. Shawarma Empire for their hot sauce. So good. I told them they should retail their shirts too. I know quite a few people would sport their colours proudly.

Out here in Pickering, I’m struggling to find a replacement. I think I’ll have to cross the border into Ajax to try Laymoon.
https://instagram.com/laymoon.ca

3 Likes

The shawarma platter is an excellent deal, my go to order now.

2 Likes

Haha, yes. Even the rice is better at Shawarma Empire.

2 Likes

Always the rice and lentils! So good :slight_smile:

The Croque Monsieur at Bicyclette Food on Harbord is $15 before tax. Delicious.

1 Like

Soula’s pork souvlaki in a pita, which comes with fries. $10.

Considering how many shawarma shops on Queen W, Dundas W and College St are now charging $13 for a mediocre shawarma in a pita, this $10 pork souvlaki in a pita with fries on the Danforth is a deal. Not sure how much Astoria is charging. Usually, Astoria served the most meat in their souvlaki in a pita, relative to the other places in Greektown.

2 Likes