Topping Overload Dilemma

As Willy Wonka says, “Strike that; reverse it”.

:slight_smile:

Definitely this. I have an in-oven dial type thermometer. My oven beeps “I’m at 550°/F!” when the thermometer shows it’s still around 470. I usually start it about 80 minutes before I plan to bake the pizza.

4 Likes

Confusing (at least to me) at best…

@HappyOnion’s post said “has to be high hydration … if you are wimping out with a really wet dough … not good.” So WTF does that mean?

Other suggestions on the pizza DOTQ thread is that I lower my dough from 66% to 60 when my first came out soggy with just sauce and cheese. Of course there were cooking issues involved as well (top rack & convection recommendations) that will be addressed next time.

confusing . . .

sorry about that - the brain took a short vacation and yes “high hydration” implies a wet, stick dough. using a wet dough can easily result in the crust not baking properly and being soggy.

another issue can be . . . after creating the perfect crust . . . it comes out of the oven and onto a solid surface. the pie is still ‘cooking’ and moisture gets trapped under the crust turning from ‘perfect’ to ‘soggy’ - out of the oven I put it on a rack for 5 minutes to cool, before slicing.

1 Like

I almost always par-bake my pizza dough/crust before putting the toppings on it. And blasphemous/sacrilegious/heretical as this may sound, I usually did so in a VERY lightly olive oil coated frying pan. This firmed up the bottom side of the dough/crust and generally prevented uncooked bits and the failing of the crust to hold up to the overload of toppings.

4 Likes

Me too, but I use Stonefire pizza crusts so i have no issue with sogginess.

I just picked up a package of the Stonefire crusts to try for the first time. They’re small so we will probably make our own individual pizzas (which works for me, because we prefer different toppings and our take out pizzas are generally a compromise).

1 Like

Yes they are small, I eat three slices and save the last one for breakfast, usually with an over easy egg on top.

4 Likes

Pizza that is soggy from overloading, IMO, is but one manifestation of overestimating ingredient volume/quantity. Everyone does it to some degree. When we’re slicing mushrooms or sausage, and grating cheese, and ladling sauce, we prepare too much. And then, usually, we feel compelled to use it all, no matter what.

In the case of pizza, I think it helps to always think of toppings as condiments. And to keep that in mind when prepping them.

As for crust management, I’m not above frying a soggy slice.

1 Like

There is no flow. The OP asked how to prevent overload.

1 Like

My apologies. I forgot how it is that people on HO stick strictly to the question asked in the OP. I was certainly out of line to suggest a way he could have his toppings and enjoy his pie too. /s

Huh, I read ricepad’s reply differently. Like there’s no flow because every HO topic digresses :thinking:

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Perhaps.

Or expands :joy:

1 Like