Top Chef Season 18

I have to say, I’m not loving the spin off ideas. Top Chef Amatuers, etc. I am over all these new competitions. Ugh.

2 Likes

oh, Dawn! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

And

1 Like

Agreed. I picked up some of the orange stuff in bulk, and it really is much tastier than the so-called healthy kind.

A tip – try dipping apple slices in that orange powder.

Looks like Gabe isn’t the good guy he tried to make himself out to be: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/top-chef-crowns-controversial-winner-who-was-fired-from-restaurant-for-inappropriate-behavior-072437861.html

I guess from the fact that Bravo didn’t congratulate him and he didn’t appear on Andy’s (horrendous) after-show, they must have learned the details between the time filming wrapped and the show aired :thinking:

2 Likes
1 Like

Amateurs was ok, but I really cant’ stand the kid competitions.

This is obviously disturbing news, especially if true.

But that said, should a Top Chef winner be judged on anything aside from their food or cooking? Are we judging them as people, as well?

Not condoning the allegations levied against Gabe (I’ve always found him a bit “off”), but Top Chef is really about how each chef qua chef performs. Not how each chef performs as a human being. Right? Or am I off?

Should we disqualify Gabe if we found out he was a deadbeat and never paid his child support? Was a convicted felon for possessing firearms? Convicted of DUI? Paid below living wages at his restaurant? Where do we draw the line?

should a Top Chef winner be judged on anything aside from their food or cooking? Are we judging them as people, as well?

Not condoning the allegations levied against Gabe (I’ve always found him a bit “off”), but Top Chef is really about how each chef qua chef performs. Not how each chef performs as a human being. Right? Or am I off?

I have no dog in this particular fight since I haven’t watched Top Chef for a few years but this isn’t the first person from Top Chef that’s being dragged because of allegations about off camera bad behavior. Off the top of my head there was Paul Qui, Mike Isabella and John Besh was edited out as a judge in one episode.

Where do we draw the line?

If that’s a sincere question (and I’m not saying it’s not) then I would genuinely ask you where you think we should draw the line? I don’t mean that rhetorically- I think everyone has to come to grips with how they feel about a person vs. their work vs. how other people are (allegedly) affected by said person vs. trial in the court of public opinion.

It’s a very messy situation in any case but I can honestly that working in production where people are purely judged by their job performance got us folks like Harvey Weinstein so that’s certainly one extreme I can’t get behind.

1 Like

I would draw the line at the food.

A contestant’s off-camera behavior, unless of a severe criminal nature, should not matter.

I don’t want to drift too far off, but I do not judge a restaurant based on the character of the chef, only the character of the food.

But that’s just me.

I don’t want to drift too far off topic either and I appreciate the response. I feel otherwise but that’s just me as well.

I was careful to just share a link rather than offer an opinion because that Is not the reason I watch Top Chef.

But like it or not, it is reality TV, and I watched it, and shared it (cringe), and perhaps it means more than judging food. I thought about the backlash Bravo and Top Chef seemed to be getting for not talking about it. Glad that’s not me!

1 Like

Cheers!

tenor-227058388

I don’t know that I could draw a hard and fast line. I’m disappointed at what he’s done and it does make me less likely to want to eat his food, but this also appears to be a first offense and as Padma said, no one is charging him with sexual harassment. That said I’d prefer the people I invest my time and energy in to be good people. You run into this in sports all the time. I’ll dump a great shortstop for beating his wife.

What Gabe appears to have done is far short of beating his wife (though he did cheat on her and that’s another strike against him) and so I’m more likely to give him the benefit of the doubt that he’s working on being a better person.

1 Like