Tomato Season - the Master Thread

Here are some photos I posted elsewhere of how I used some my tomato bounty.

Tomato tart with whipped ricotta and Parmesan base.

Gazpacho

Tomato tart with chèvre

English muffin with cream cheese, tomato, and furikake

Passata (this is are merely two of five quarts of passata, plus there is kimchee tomato soup, regular tomato soup, and a quart of leftover tomato sauce in my freezer).

7 Likes

Sorry if it wasn’t clear, i meant to make and then freeze the hazan sauce so you could have it this winter.

It’s one of those love it or hate it recipes…

I usually freeze passata, much as I do basic stock, as basic building block ingredients. I do freeze leftover soups and sauces, and sometimes double recipes for that purpose, but I am such an impulsive cook that it works better for me to freeze large amounts of plain tomato sauce.

Maybe. I don’t hate it, I just don’t think it is special.

I don’t hate it. It inspires no strong feelings in me at all. Maybe the people that get all excited about it are reacting to the huge amount of butter. Butter doesn’t do all that much for me.

1 Like

I get much more excited about Ruhlman’s weeknight spaghetti with butter :slight_smile: But only once or twice a season.

That one is new to me. I’ll give it a try. Thanks!

1 Like

pa amb tomaquet - favorite tapa ever!

2 Likes

good old standbye…

3 Likes

Back about 2 months ago I replanted my tomatoes for a fall harvest. I noticed today while looking for suckers that I have at least 8 new fruits happening. I have a Pink Berklee and a Randy’s Brandy (a local hybrid). I have spent some time watching Youtube videos about pruning tomatoes. It was very helpful. Looking forward to a fresh BLT in late October.

5 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Tomato Season - the Master Thread

Which tomato dishes or preparations have you been making?

So far, I have made

Stuffed tomatoes (yemista, stuffed with ground beef, dill and rice)

Roasted tomatoes

Greek village salad

Tomato fritters / tomatokeftedes

Tomato frittata

Southern tomato pie

Tomatoes with balsamic and olive oil

Tomato gratin

Tomato, lettuce and mayo sandwich

This looks interesting.

3 Likes

That soup sounds very interesting! Not feeling hot soup right now, but maybe!
I have a Hyderbadi tomato chutney recipe that I love! Haven’t made it yet this summer.

This was helpful for that recipe

So far

Gazpacho
BLT
Tomato sandwiches
Roasted

1 Like

Might find some ideas here as well.

2 Likes

Yep- that thread inspired me.

I didn’t add to it after some posters mentioned old threads being bumped bothers them. LOL.

1 Like

There are several recent replies to the old one, so I’m not sure a new thread makes sense necessarily.

I actually just locked the old one to keep things fresh for this season. Post away! Speaking of which, my Sweet Aperitif cherry tomatoes took a while to get going this year but are now producing more tomatoes than I could ever hope to eat. Very nice flavor, too - not too sweet but intensely tomatoey.

5 Likes

I’ve only gotten back a week ago from Berlin, where there were surprisingly good tomatoes to be had in … the supermarket.

Of course, they’re nothing compared to the cornucopia of breeds I can get at the local FM. So far, I’ve made:

choriatiki
burrata caprese
tomato/ avocado / celery salad with balsamic & soy dressing
BLTs
tomato sammiches: toasted bagel or Aldi’s pane turano with cream cheese and fresh basil (I much prefer cream cheese over mayo on my mater sammiches)

Coming up soon will be gazpacho - likely the NYT recipe, and fresh tomato pasta.

Looking forward to being inspired here.

4 Likes