Tokyo. Japan. 2023

Almost all the Noodle shops in Japan use the ticket system, with a few exceptions. Which part of Japan and how long will you be there?

In Februrary, we’re doing 4 nights each in Toyama, Kanazawa, Hiroshima and Okayama. Last 6 nights in Osaka. Can hardly wait.

3 Likes

I leave day after tomorrow, 3 nights in Tokyo then 4 in Kyoto. I usually stay just outside Ginza but wander downtown Tokyo around a bit. Kyoto is terra incognita, so I am looking forward to exploring there. When I “choked” at the ramen cafe I ended up going to Yoshinoya twice and then to a couple cafes in the underground entrance to Tokyo Station between there and Kobayashi Station. Most of the rest of the time I was near Shinjuku Gyoen Gardens, Shibuya, the old seafood market and Ameyoko. So downtown Tokyo, no real day trips.
The funny part about the ramen machine was as I was waiting in line I was flashing back to ordering a cheesesteak at Pat’s in Philadelphia. It is much easier when it is in your own language! LOL! Even with the Philly patois.

I think I was rushing it in the ramen shop because of the line of people behind me. So I will be chill the next time.

5 Likes

Torikizoku is a Yakitori/Izakaya chain with footprint all over Japan. Very user friendly.

A very large menu and food is well prepared. Tablet ordering, English available.

EVERY item is 260 Yen!! Beer, hi-ball, pot of chicken rice steamed at your table, all kinds of skewers, all at the same price. We turned a friend onto Torikizoku and he and his wife went there twice on their recent Tokyo visit.

5 Likes

We had a similar thing happen to us years ago in Tokyo. A kind soul behind the kitchen counter guided us through the process and within minutes, we were digging into steaming bowls and cold beer. Of course, we didn’t have the added anxiety of a line forming behind us. But, maybe choose a quiet-looking shop and ask for help? Good luck!

3 Likes

That is exactly my plan! No line, no pressure.
As Google Gourmet so accurately noted, I did not want to be THAT gaijin! :grinning:

3 Likes