Titillating food aromas: what turns you on (and off)?

The smell of these babies yesterday certainly didn’t upset me;

8 Likes

Sesame oil has a beautiful aroma, as does olive oil.

1 Like

Unless it’s turned rancid - then it goes into the “NO!” pile. :smiley:

5 Likes

I have peppers roasting in the oven right now and it smells wonderful…

Fresh ginger being cooked. When I make a broth for hot pot, soup, or just for boiling dumplings I use A LOT of ginger in it. The house smell aMAzing.

About sesame oil, perhaps it’s just me but… just a little too much of it I will feel weird. I think because of its richness. Love the stuff but the line between “it’s nice” and feeing nauseated is a fine one.

Also, I only use Korean or Japanese pure sesame oil (tiny tiny bottle) and keep it in the fridge.

1 Like

Me too with the sesame oil. It’s a short trip from just right to gagging.

1 Like

walking home in the neighborhood at dinnertime, the carne asada in taquerias makes me swoon. ditto the wood-fired ovens of an argentinian steak house around the corner from us.

at home - bacon, steamed rice, carnitas…

What turns me on . Is my neighbors when they are grilling . The smells from the grill that waft over the fence just make my mouth water . All I know is great Filipino food being shared with family members .

2 Likes

LOL - except when your neighbor hasn’t cleaned his grill in ages. Then it becomes one of the worst!!

1 Like

Interesting. Those are among my favorite smells.

3 Likes

Totally agree. A woman in my office insisted n cleaning the office coffee pot with vinegar during working hours. May have been good for the pot, but made me flee the room!