Tipping for Service

We have a lot of discount arrangements for seniors that require special cards, like an AARP membership card (American Association of Retired Persons). Others just require proof of age (with different ages at different places). Sometimes it varies from site to site in a chain.

Our grocery stores target regulars–and mobile phone users–not especially seniors. Drug stores, on the other hand . . . .

Ray

What on earth does that mean? :joy:

Moving the decimal and doubling or tripling can be a challenge. :blush:

1 Like

I rarely pay for anything in cash, if ever. However in cases where I tip at the start of the meal I grab money out of the glovebox before going in the restaurant.

Separate checks solves that.

I interpreted it as when (some) Americans think another country is doing something “wrong,” we impose our own customs on them and act like we’re doing them a favor.

2 Likes

Ahhh… got it. Thanks.

A harsh punishment for a relatively minor offence, IMO. As a long standing trade union activist (prior to retirement), I would have thought this very much in the “final warning” category.

Tipping related - though not about food.

My nail salon gives a 10% discount if you pay with cash. Since I budget for the credit card amount, plus a 20% tip for the manicurist, I still pay the “full amount”. The person who did my nails reaps the benefit. I have no idea how much they make but I am lucky that I can afford this small luxury and can help others.

4 Likes

It’s not bothersome but those credit card machines are touched by tens if not hundreds of customers before you if the vendor (likely) never disinfects them, are very far from hygienic. Here in Oz, I don’t have to touch the machine or any buttons at all - just tap and I’m done. I like that better.

How do you do that? Hand the server cash?

Many restaurants limit the number of checks to a table. I imagine writing separate checks for 10 would put off servers. I personally dread such moments, but Zelle and similar seems to facilitate this, at least for the young and tech comfortable.

Yes, I rarely carry cash but keep money in the glovebox for cash tips like valet and car washes etc…

When the server introduce themself I’ll usually hand them $20 and have a brief but polite conversation. Then I tip again at the end of the meal. I have no qualms tipping generously for attentive service nor do I have any qualms in politely explaining I might be short of time.

I am a creature of habit almost always sit at the same table and had the same server in the restaurants I’d frequent. Think of Mr. Udall from As Good As It Gets.

2 Likes

Yes perhaps. But many have no issues for business lunches. It’s a matter of knowing the business and them knowing their customers.

I see. All of my business “lunches” are described as "brown bagged ".

What’s that mean? Bring your own lunch?

Yes.

“Brown Bag Opportunities”

In fact, the current practice seems to be advertising that your " provider" will see you remotely while she eats her meal!

1 Like

We used to call those Lunch & Learns at a company where I worked.

Sometimes when budget allowed our team’s director would order Panera-type sandwiches or salads for those team members who worked onsite, which I thought was a nice touch.

1 Like

Too many restaurants take credit card processing fees out of the tips so we’re sure it’s in cash without a fee :slight_smile:

2 Likes

All these references to tipping or outright paying with cash shows that there is a preponderance of older individuals here who insist on having cash. These days if I go to an ATM, I might take out $100. Its at least a month before I’m back at the ATM. The 20 and 30 somethings that work for me rarely have even $20 on them. I was getting lunch with one of my juniors the other day at a food truck in midtown. It was $10 and I had to spot him $5 as the truck only took cash (ironic). He paid me back with venmo. Not much need for cash when you have phones and cards you can use with a tap almost everywhere including the subway. The offset to that is that every damn machine is asking how much to tip the guy who just scanned your purchase and nothing else.

2 Likes