Time Out Market Boston

Which stall was the outstanding beef shank from? That sounds wonderful!

Peter Ungar’s. The shrimp risotto was as well.

2 Likes

We took the subway r/t from Riverside. The return required a subway/bus/subway hiccup on the return but it was super convenient to just stroll Fenway.

1 Like

Helpful post, thank you so much. Looks like you made some delicious choices during your visit. (My favorite fancy coffee around here is George Howell, which our local indy coffee shop uses.)

I haven’t been yet, though I have visited the original Time Out Market in Lisbon which looked to be at full occupancy. I wonder what will happen in Boston because more food halls are on the way. I’m surprised at how many are in the works.

3 Likes

What is disappointing to me is despite all the food halls opening, they very little in the way of NEW variety. While the food halls are convenient for one stop shopping for visitors and others, I don’t have a ton of use for them. Do I need more Tiffani Faison, Barbara Lynch, Tim and Nancy Cushman, et al in my life? Honestly no (and definitely do NOT need need Guy Fireri). Also, I do get alarmed when I see chefs from beloved places such as Tasting Counter potentially stretch themselves thin.

I suppose it’s not the model, but I’d much rather see new independent vendors open in these markets.

2 Likes

The cost to play in that space for a smaller operation…may not be a wishlist of tenants but there’s no ignoring how many plates you must sell each day/night to make a go of it.

I always like to see new chefs and businesses get started too. After you posted this, I noticed that MC Kitchen has closed after a three-month run at Time Out Market to pursue opening in their own independent space. So maybe that model is possible.

3 Likes

Wow that’s quick. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Per the Globe, Jody Adams is opening Greek Street at the Time Out Market on October 7, perhaps filling the gap left by MC Kitchen. Assuming that is the case, and it kind of must be because there were no empty spaces when I was there, very quick turnover.

I hope TO Boson doesn’t become a pop up.

My daughter-in-law and I grabbed a bite the other night and found the food quite good. I got the Special Craigie burger, so that I could see for myself what everyone raves about. It was perfectly med-rare and delicious. It had kimchi Russian dressing and swiss cheese, which added nice flavor all around. The steak fries with togarashi, garlic chives and butter were excellent, although my personal preference would be for slightly darker fries. I don’t eat many burgers, and this was definitely worth the indulgence. My daughter-in-law got the Cajun kaarage chicken sando with waffle fries from Ms. Cluckit. The sandwich was absolutely delicious, and the waffle fries were fun and tasty, although I don’t always enjoy brined potatoes and prefer the salt on the exterior. The crispy nori sushi tacos from Gogo Ya that another diner had looked really good. For drinks, I appreciated the option of an 8 oz. pour of wine as opposed to ordering a second glass, and she really enjoyed her alcohol-free cocktail with ginger beer and lime.

The market was about 1/3 full and the noise level was quite manageable. We’d definitely stop by again for a quick bite, and another bite of that chicken sandwich.

8 Likes

I went for lunch today. It was a great deal more crowded than the last time I went and no more outdoor seating but still not hard to find a seat. So many great choices but I ended up at Greek Street and thoroughly enjoyed the lamb chops (perfectly cooked) with a delicious yogurt sauce underneath, wonderful lemony garlicky potatoes and a huge portion of really tasty spinach. Great people-watching spot.

6 Likes

Finally made it thanks to Spring Onion suggesting it as her reward for “suffering” through a visit to ISG Museum. The Craigie Burger certainly didn’t disappoint, though it wasn’t quite the life-changing experience I half expected. Tinned mussels and presentation by Saltie Girl were every bit as good as the Dartmouth Street original. Gelato had nice texture but was just a tad on the sweet side - for the American palate I guess. The offerings from Greek Street being enjoyed by a neighboring couple looked tempting. Swordfish souvlaki and nori tacos on our next visit. So many great options make it a great place for a group that can’t agree on where to go.

4 Likes

Wish I had ordered that one! I got the cumin spiced beef patties the other day, and they were very ordinary. Not bad, but just kind of nondescript. As mediterranean options within 50 yards go, much preferred Anoush’ella (not exactly the same cuisine, but not that far off either).

2 Likes

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter!

Press Room
“Food is a pretty good prism through which to view humanity.”

― Jonathan Gold